Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Piggyback's

Old 04-02-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Piggyback's

Originally Posted by XXxx_Totmacher_xxXX
Ohh what I still am trying to find out is the voltage scale for the stock MAP sensor... thts kinda key to all this lol...
Since this is your wifes car, are you gonna mod it / have you modded the car at all yet, if so what so far ?

Old 04-02-2009, 11:28 PM

Our SRT-4 has gone way beyond the "weekend track car" status and i really really miss it. So my goal is to get this back to a fun weekend track car. I am defenetly going to mod it, but not like the neon...

I snatched up the intake from buy/sell the other week for a killer deal. Now I'm just waiting for someone to sell a 185 for a decent price. I plan to clamp the MAP sensor with a clamp and test it out, then swap in a SAFC to actually tune on it. I'm waiting for a paticular person to release these cat delete down pipes he told me about. After that i'd probably swap out for some 285's or maybe some Drags...

It's all money dependant lol, wife won't let me spend money on 2 cars, so I've resorted back to working on cars to raise money for the SRT-6 lol

Old 04-03-2009, 08:20 AM

How well do you think a standalone piggyback that controlled an auxillary injector (gas or E85 or alky) based on wideband O2 feedback would work or would there would a demand for?

Old 04-03-2009, 09:19 AM

I think thats the wrong way to go about more fuel.

Old 04-03-2009, 07:20 PM

Why do you say that?

Old 04-03-2009, 11:27 PM

always best to work with what you have. Less is more. Plus there is just simpler ways to get more fuel without complicating things. first obviusly from tuning, then from fuel pressure and or boost reference fuel. then injectors.

Adding another injector isn't to smart as your only real option is to spray the Y pipe the the manifolds. not exactly a percise way to fuel all 6 chambers with the same amount of fuel. Id would be like tossing on a wet shot and turning the bottle off.

Old 04-06-2009, 12:48 AM

You guys mean something like this?

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
newest 005.jpg (810.3 KB, 70 views)
Old 04-06-2009, 10:01 AM

without having more info, I would assume that is a MAP clamp lol.

Old 04-06-2009, 10:06 AM

okay did my homework, that is exactly that, a MAP clamp, but you would want there VC2-5 i believe as I'm pretty sure outr MAP sensor is a 5 volt output. here is there discription on it. Read that then compare to what I posted above...

"Description
The VC2 Voltage Clamp is designed to condition the output of voltage based air flow meters, MAP sensors and mass air flow sensors. It is often used to avoid fuel cut in forced induction applications. Under normal operating conditions, the VC2 outputs a signal that is identical to the signal present at its input. When the voltage of the flow signal reaches the internally set clamp level, the VC2 maintains a constant output voltage at the clamp level as the input voltage rises. The VC2 differs from the VC1 by offering a hard clamp function that is user adjustable. The hard clamp allows the output to track the input right up to the clamp voltage. Once in clamp, the VC2 maintains the clamp level with high accuracy regardless of overdrive."

Old 04-06-2009, 10:07 AM

"Description
The VC2-5 Voltage Clamp is designed to condition the output of sensors that operate from a 5V supply. The VC2-5 is designed to operate from the same +5V supply and ground that powers the sensor it connects to. Under normal operating conditions, the VC2-5 outputs a signal that is identical to the signal present at its input. When the voltage of the flow signal reaches the internally set clamp level, the VC2-5 maintains a constant output voltage at the clamp level as the input voltage rises."

Old 04-06-2009, 10:08 AM

VC2
Adjustable Voltage Clamp, 12 V operation
$90

VC2-5
Adjustable Voltage Clamp, 5 V operation
$90

Old 04-06-2009, 12:40 PM

So with a tune, you have to re-tune and re-spend that money again every time you make a mechanical change. But with an adaptable/tuneable feedback-based piggyback, you just tweak a few *****. Sounds a lot cheaper. And you buy one injector instead of 6.

Old 04-06-2009, 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by 70GS455
So with a tune, you have to re-tune and re-spend that money again every time you make a mechanical change. But with an adaptable/tuneable feedback-based piggyback, you just tweak a few *****. Sounds a lot cheaper. And you buy one injector instead of 6.

I don't think you would need the 6th injector. but yes with a tuneable piggyback, you could tune, make changes and not have to get reflashes.

Old 04-07-2009, 02:43 AM

okay did my homework, that is exactly that, a MAP clamp, but you would want there VC2-5 i believe as I'm pretty sure outr MAP sensor is a 5 volt output. here is there discription on it. Read that then compare to what I posted above...
It is the vc2-5, as per split seconds recommendation.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:54 AM

question still stand... what is the voltage scaling of our MAP sensor...

Anyone have a ZT2? Zeitronix? I know Rob loves those things. If anyone does, tap the 0-5V input (if memmory is correct, the blue wire) into your MAP sensor wire (C3-pin 10 red/black)....

Old 04-07-2009, 11:26 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

VC2
Adjustable Voltage Clamp, 12 V operation
$90

VC2-5
Adjustable Voltage Clamp, 5 V operation
$90
I have used the vc2 before, it is super simple to install and use.

The VC2 Voltage Clamp is designed to condition the output of voltage based air flow meters, MAP sensors and mass air flow sensors. It is often used to avoid fuel cut in forced induction applications. Under normal operating conditions, the VC2 outputs a signal that is identical to the signal present at its input. When the voltage of the flow signal reaches the internally set clamp level, the VC2 maintains a constant output voltage at the clamp level as the input voltage rises. The VC2 differs from the VC1 by offering a hard clamp function that is user adjustable. The hard clamp allows the output to track the input right up to the clamp voltage. Once in clamp, the VC2 maintains the clamp level with high accuracy regardless of overdrive.

Here is how you set the clamp voltage:

Clamp Level: Hook the red and blue to the positive and black wires to the negative of the battery
Then take a dc volt meter and hook the blue/red striped wire to the positive, and the negative to the neg on the battery, the volt meter wil show what the clamp is... adjust screw to your desired clamp

Old 04-07-2009, 01:28 PM

Yeah but the problem is I don't know what the voltage scale of our MAP sensor is, Like say 17psi = 3.45 volts.

And without that info tuning a clamp can either A take a really, really long time or B be dangerous.

Once I find the voltage scale out, I have a friend that makes a much better clamp then that for about the same price. It actually has a test source on it so to see the clamped voltage you just test that source. It also can work of a independant power source vice the MAP sensors power source.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:29 PM

and yes a clamp is super simple. Power, ground, MAP signal in, MAP signal out. 3 wires, that's it.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:40 PM

subscribed.

Old 04-07-2009, 01:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Yeah but the problem is I don't know what the voltage scale of our MAP sensor is, Like say 17psi = 3.45 volts.

And without that info tuning a clamp can either A take a really, really long time or B be dangerous.

Once I find the voltage scale out, I have a friend that makes a much better clamp then that for about the same price. It actually has a test source on it so to see the clamped voltage you just test that source. It also can work of a independant power source vice the MAP sensors power source.
let me check later this week when it quits snowing and i will see if my datalogger can record map voltage, i think it does. if so, i will record the screen and post up the video for you if you like.

Quick Reply: Piggyback's