Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Some happenings at the new shop...

Old 02-26-2009, 03:01 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Some happenings at the new shop...

Originally Posted by Bubba89
I hope you guys do because a new exhaust has been the #1 on my list since I got the car. Go for it! We need a good reliable custom exhaust producer.
np, I will work up some pricing for this. Would people want a full header back exhaust or something that attaches via vbands that you could swap?

Or perhaps an option for a full exhaust with your choice of muffler?

Old 02-26-2009, 03:30 PM
Forum Regular

You have a PM

Old 02-26-2009, 04:14 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by loungn14
np, I will work up some pricing for this. Would people want a full header back exhaust or something that attaches via vbands that you could swap?

Id really like to try and help you do this right, because when things dont go as expected, vendors sometimes get discouraged from offering more parts.

See my previously attached pics. I built the same exhaust(it was beautiful i might add) and what i got was no power gain, loud sound, and $1500 or so lost. Amazing similarity i might add, im pretty sure its where your customer "drew inspiration" from. I also bought headers, and found out the same thing the hard way, 5 peak power, 8 torque lost, banging the frame, and another $1000 gone.

You are also going to find many people who say they are interested will not carry through with purchase when you build it and post the price. It took me being on here for a year and going down the same road to figure this out. If you decide to do this then more power to you, again im just trying to help. Before and after dynos (with no other variables changed) will be a must, and if substantial gains are achieved maybe itll be worth you building.

Also, a lot of us dont like our car being louder. If the cost of the exhaust vs the headers is about the same, id much rather see a set of headers that actually makes horsepower without loosing torque, than i would an another exhaust setup...besides, exhaust tone is so subjective. Equal length headers would be awesome but id recommend you also experiment with shorty style and log style and dyno and datalog the differences. Please make sure they fit properly and dont require banging them in with a hammer for them to clear the frame! If it at any point in time becomes necessary to modify the stock exhuast down pipes for dyno-proven headers to fit, i dont have a problem with that.

I can give you more ideas if you like. Its just good to have another vendor willing to try and offer us parts.

Old 02-26-2009, 07:04 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
Id really like to try and help you do this right, because when things dont go as expected, vendors sometimes get discouraged from offering more parts.

See my previously attached pics. I built the same exhaust(it was beautiful i might add) and what i got was no power gain, loud sound, and $1500 or so lost. Amazing similarity i might add, im pretty sure its where your customer "drew inspiration" from. I also bought headers, and found out the same thing the hard way, 5 peak power, 8 torque lost, banging the frame, and another $1000 gone.

You are also going to find many people who say they are interested will not carry through with purchase when you build it and post the price. It took me being on here for a year and going down the same road to figure this out. If you decide to do this then more power to you, again im just trying to help. Before and after dynos (with no other variables changed) will be a must, and if substantial gains are achieved maybe itll be worth you building.

Also, a lot of us dont like our car being louder. If the cost of the exhaust vs the headers is about the same, id much rather see a set of headers that actually makes horsepower without loosing torque, than i would an another exhaust setup...besides, exhaust tone is so subjective. Equal length headers would be awesome but id recommend you also experiment with shorty style and log style and dyno and datalog the differences. Please make sure they fit properly and dont require banging them in with a hammer for them to clear the frame! If it at any point in time becomes necessary to modify the stock exhuast down pipes for dyno-proven headers to fit, i dont have a problem with that.

I can give you more ideas if you like. Its just good to have another vendor willing to try and offer us parts.
Thanks for the informative post and taking the time to chime in.

I completely hear you about people and stuff like this. If we did make it production, it would have to be maid to order.

With the headers....

We have a couple of ideas as well and have prototype shorty and long tubes that we are testing now. I understand what your saying with "fit" issues, been down that road myself.

It helps that we have a spare srt6 engine in the shop on a motorstand so we can test fit the pieces to the block both in and out of the car to verify things.

Any other ideas you have would be appreciated. We are owners just like yourself and love to see the new things that can be done to the cars!

Old 02-26-2009, 07:25 PM
Forum Regular

final pic....sounds unreal

Old 02-26-2009, 08:34 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Sweet - That's lookin' real sharp..!!

Old 02-26-2009, 09:02 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by ImportLabSRT
Thanks again Jake.... The exhaust was finished on my car last night and looks/sounds amazing. It is a lot deeper then stock and quite a bit louder. As soon as the mufflers and cats break in Ill post some sound clips. And of course, thanks 240M3SRT for inspiring the exhaust design
Bryan,
Looks great !!
I look forward the hearing it in person.
I'm just down the street so maybe a drive by can be arranged.

Gary

Old 02-26-2009, 09:35 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Bryan,
Looks great !!
I look forward the hearing it in person.
I'm just down the street so maybe a drive by can be arranged.

Gary
I have no problem with that... or come by Mercedes one day and take her for a spin.

Old 02-26-2009, 09:41 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

I have no problem with that... or come by Mercedes one day and take her for a spin.
I'll take ya up on that offer !!
Let me know when I can stop by.
I'm off a 3 pm every weekday and off all weekends.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:56 AM

I'm looking for a full header back exhaust if that is plausible but to be honest I'd settle for just about anything, because I know how hard it is to please everybody and I don't want to see another exhaust attempt go out the door. My main concern with the exhaust, since it seems to not really make much of a power difference on our cars, is sound improvement. So if it sounds sick I'll take it!
Brandon

Old 02-27-2009, 08:01 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Ahhhh you know what we want next, right?

VIDEO!!!!!

Purdy please.

Old 02-27-2009, 08:16 AM
Forum Regular

Bryan, little help please?

From my perspective it sounds very good, deep and mean without that tin sound or drone.

There were a couple of us there when we first started her up, we all looked at each other and said, ya, doing our cars next.

Old 02-27-2009, 09:24 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

What are you going to do about the exposed fuel pump? Are you going to fab a new cover?

Old 02-27-2009, 09:38 AM

oo oo oo. i wanna see/hear. haha. which MB dealer do you work at?

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Forum Regular

Dropping off my car in the next hour....

Old 02-27-2009, 11:30 AM
Forum Regular

Lets see and hear a VIDEO!!!!

Old 02-27-2009, 12:26 PM
Forum Regular

That looks awesome.

Can't wait to hear a sound clip.

Old 02-27-2009, 06:46 PM

I dont have a video camera but Ill go make a quick clip with my digital camera.

Old 02-27-2009, 07:42 PM

Here is a few quick Digital camera vids. I will try and find someone with an actual video camera and during the day where I wont wake up my niece.

1: Outside behind car, idle and 2k rpms (my niece is sleeping 15 feet away so I kept it down)

2: Mixed driving

3:Tried to ease into a launch but 21 degs and stock Conti's dont mix (the sound at the end is not screeching tires, but a cracked open window)

Last edited by ImportLabSRT; 02-27-2009 at 07:45 PM.
Old 02-27-2009, 07:46 PM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
What are you going to do about the exposed fuel pump? Are you going to fab a new cover?
The exhaust does not get all that hot back there but its something I have been debating on how/what to make as a heat shield.

Quick Reply: Some happenings at the new shop...