Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

!!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!!

Old 11-11-2008, 03:46 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Red face Re: !!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!!

Mike R

I did a posting on the belts, the 114.5 and 115.3 are the same belt, the dimensions are the inner and outer measurments. THis is according to gates and their catalog. I got interested and tried to get a looser one and found this out. Sorry bout that, the next micro v belt larger and smaller are about 2" different in length.

Woody

Old 11-11-2008, 03:54 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: !!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!!

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
AS LONG AS IT IS THE UPDATED WATER PUMP PULLEY YOU SHOULDN'T HAVE ANY PROBLEM.

I have been driving w/ mine for 5K and I generally drive hard and have been going to the drag strip once every three weeks or so. Last Wednesday I made 10 runs in an hour and only stopped once for 10-15 min. Before the last run of the evening.
This thread wasn't about the water pump pulley failing... it's the idler pulley.

Old 11-11-2008, 03:57 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Same thing happed to Lotus F1 and his ASP idler pulley - I wonder if they use the same bearing?
https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...3&postcount=66

I tried to look at mine but can get the number off it..I'll pull it this weekend to see.

Lotus and your pullies are some damn rusty parts..

** EDIT **

Could someone with a ASP setup confirm the part number on the idler bearing - I'll look up the specs on the bearing supplied with mine and see what the duty cycle and max RPM are.

Perhaps a bearing upgrade is possible; if a better one is availible. Not much to press fit it in.
The ASP idler pictured isn't on my car. It was the replacement part sent to me by LET (only correctly sized idler Jerry could get his hands on at the time). He told me it was used, with about 2k miles on it; when it showed up at my mechanic's shop, he wasn't keen on putting it on the car - called me and said "um, it looks like they pulled a part out of a junk yard..."

Old 11-11-2008, 03:58 AM

Originally Posted by 70GT6
Very strange..I just had the same problem.
Last night my idler pully bearing seized. Upon a quick inspection I did mot notice any major damage. Looks like the bearing seized and the bolt holding the idler backed out, idler dropped on the pan and threw the belt.
Left a message for Jerry earlier today, waiting to hear back, maybe on here is better.

*Edit - mine was not rusty looking at all - just completely locked up.
Also when an checked the factory idler - same basic part number but different manufacturer, factory was a Timken.
correct - my LET idler is not rusty looking either, although it is steel. The ASP idler sent is rusty as hell.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:00 AM
Forum Regular

It sounds like to me, we need to be using the stock idler pulley and source a new belt. Use a gauge to check the deflection is the correct tolerence after the install.

Old 11-11-2008, 04:02 AM

Interesting - I'm looking at my stock idler pulley and the bearing is marked with a "6303 C3" and the green seals are stamped with "6303 RDD" but with a different type of seal then the bearings used on the LET or ASP (they look impervious to debris)

Now - if "speed limit" is 15,000 RPM - then we have a problem Houston!!

The stock idler pulley is approx 90mm
(178 / 90) = 1.978 * 6,000 engine RPM = 11,667 idler bearing RPM
(181 / 90) = 2.011 * 6,000 engine RPM = 12,067 idler bearing RPM
(185 / 90) = 2.056 * 6,000 engine RPM = 12,336 idler bearing RPM - No problem here.

The LET idler pulley is approx 60mm (and if the ASP idler is the same size):

(178) / 60) = 2.967 * 6,000 Engine RPM = 17,800 idler bearing rpm
(181) / 60) = 3.017 * 6,000 Engine RPM = 18,100 idler bearing rpm
(185) / 60) = 3.083 * 6,000 Engine RPM = 18,498 idler bearing rpm

Can someone verify the ASP idler pulley size and bearing used?

Looks like someone didn't do any math and just copied the OEM bearing part number...
ASP idler is a hair under 60mm; call it 59 or 60.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:28 AM
Forum Regular

I have called the idler pulley manufacturer and they have confirmed the 15,000 RPM speed limit. He is looking to find a 20k+ rpm bearing that is a direct replacement that we can use. There are a number of options for us, so give him a little time to find the replacement.

One of the NSK 6301's is showing a grease RPM limit of 20,000.

Old 11-11-2008, 05:55 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by SRT6-Man
If the idler is spinning over 15,000 rpm! Everyone is gonna have a problem, with any pulley set up! Just a matter of time. This is not good!
Except for the Code3 pulley.

155 / 65 = (2.38) * 6K = 14,280 SC RPM

Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 AM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Except for the Code3 pulley.

155 / 65 = (2.38) * 6K = 14,280 SC RPM
I can see where your mind's at, and your answer is correct, but the corresponding math is not. You quoted the S/C rpm; this thread is talking about the idler pulley rpm.

The answer is correct because the Code3 pulley approach is independent of this issue, as it maintains the stock crank pulley, stock idler pullies, etc. So, if you have the C3P S/C pulley and have your stock idler fail, presumably it would've failed anyway.

From BrianBrave's math and Jerry's post, sounds like this is a bearing issue - the bearing spec'd by LET and others isn't rated to handle the rpms; a higher-rpm compliant bearing needs to be spec'd.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:10 AM
Forum Regular

OP - LET will replace the failed pulley and the damaged crank pulley (when we spoke you didn't mention the crank pulley was damaged).

I'm still not 100% sure that the bearing was at fault due to over spinning.

Over torqued idlers have been seizing for many, many years.

I have personally put 30,000 miles on my C32 with the same bearing that you had fail with no issues at all. Others have done the same...

Now, take a simple Google search for "Seized idler pulley" and you get tons (7,090) of listings where idlers have seized.

Google Search

There is even MBWorld listings for C32's without our product installed that have had a seized idler.

Link to listing on MBWorld

I understand your frustration and I did everything I could to help get the car on the road. I have taken proper measures and offered to replace the LET parts on the car.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:30 AM

Originally Posted by amg-jerry
OP - LET will replace the failed pulley and the damaged crank pulley (when we spoke you didn't mention the crank pulley was damaged).

I'm still not 100% sure that the bearing was at fault due to over spinning.

Over torqued idlers have been seizing for many, many years.

I have personally put 30,000 miles on my C32 with the same bearing that you had fail with no issues at all. Others have done the same...

Now, take a simple Google search for "Seized idler pulley" and you get tons (7,090) of listings where idlers have seized.

Google Search

There is even MBWorld listings for C32's without our product installed that have had a seized idler.

Link to listing on MBWorld

I understand your frustration and I did everything I could to help get the car on the road. I have taken proper measures and offered to replace the LET parts on the car.
Parts were installed Memorial Day weekend 2008, with LET-supplied instructions, proper tools, and the MB DVD shop manual.

If a bearing is rated to 15K max rpm, and is intermittently subjected to 18K+ rpm over the span of several months and thousands of miles (8+), isn't the logical conclusion for premature failure that the bearing couldn't handle the application? If 20K bearings are available in this application, why were those not initially spec'd for the LET Motorsports idler pulley?

Old 11-11-2008, 06:39 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Woody,
I am going to disagree with you on the belt lengths. According to the chart from your earlier post the 4081150 is 114.5/115.3 and the 4081153 is 115.3/116.1. (I am doing this from memory so dont flame me too bad if I got a number wrong)
I took everything apart last night to install the 115.3 Gatorback and then couldnt find the sucker. I hate it when I try to get organized. I put everything back to gether and then while cleaning up and putting things away, I literally bumped into the belt hanging on a rack(that I looked a 4 time for the belt). I wasnt in the mood to tear it all down again so I will do it today. I will get the measurements of both the factory and the 1153 belt and pics of the position of the tensioner pulley.
It sounds like we may have found the culprit with the rating of the bearing though. Both NSK and Timkin are very good bearings. But if we are operating them outside of the rated spec, we are going to have failures. It's just a matter of when.

Jerry,
When you find a higher rated bearing, could/will you be offering the ideler pulley as a 'high speed' option pulley? I would like to swap mine out for a higher rated bearing pulley before I have issues.

MikeR

Edit: data from Woody's Goodyear link.

PART NUMBER METRIC PART NO. NO RIBS EFFECTIVE LENGTH OUTSIDE LENGTH
4081145 8PK2910 8 114.5 115.25
4081153 8PK2930 8 115.35 116.05

Last edited by MikeR; 11-11-2008 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-11-2008, 06:41 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MikeR

Jerry,
When you find a higher rated bearing, could/will you be offering the ideler pulley as a 'high speed' option pulley? I would like to swap mine out for a higher rated bearing pulley before I have issues.

MikeR
It was an LET design issue and will be replaced free of charge.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:45 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would be content with just replacing the bearing in the idler pulley - but with a replacement rated at 25,000 RPM.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:47 AM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Brian, I agree. I thought about that right after I hit the submit button. The pulley is good, just press in a new bearing.

Thanks for your continued support Jerry.

MikeR

Old 11-11-2008, 06:54 AM

Just the last couple of mornings I have had a "sqeek" under the hood while warming up. I have not been able to find the source but I am now quite concerned the source has been identified. I may be able to come up with the correct bearing but if I have to replace it I expect a refund from LET. As my forum history shows LETs' 185mm pulley set up has all ready cost me $600.00 out of pocket, for tow and belt replacement costs. I don't think I should have to invest anymore in their product.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:57 AM
Forum Regular

I would be content with just replacing the bearing in the idler pulley - but with a replacement rated at 25,000 RPM.
We might have to increase the idler pulley OD to 70mm (vs. 60mm). We are having issues finding the right bearing. If we go with a 70mm idler and use a 17k bearing, then we will be good.

We should also use 6250 as the RPM, not 6000. The 70mm idler will be good with a 17k bearing at 6250 rpm on a 185mm setup.

Old 11-11-2008, 06:58 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Montana Crossfire
Just the last couple of mornings I have had a "sqeek" under the hood while warming up. I have not been able to find the source but I am now quite concerned the source has been identified. I may be able to come up with the correct bearing but if I have to replace it I expect a refund from LET. As my forum history shows LETs' 185mm pulley set up has all ready cost me $600.00 out of pocket, for tow and belt replacement costs. I don't think I should have to invest anymore in their product.
If you go and purchase the bearing on your own, you will not get refunded.

Please wait until we find the bearing and we will ship it to you.

Old 11-11-2008, 07:08 AM

Sorry about the misfortune Brett! That caused a crazy amout of damage! This is scary scary stuff guys!! I have to be honest, I am now afraid to drive my car the way it stands now. It all makes sense to me about the bearing not being able to handle the increased RPM's and it seems like this is happening to a lot of you guys.......I really hope someone comes up with a quick solution!

Old 11-11-2008, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by distantpulse
Sorry about the misfortune Brett! That caused a crazy amout of damage! This is scary scary stuff guys!! I have to be honest, I am now afraid to drive my car the way it stands now. It all makes sense to me about the bearing not being able to handle the increased RPM's and it seems like this is happening to a lot of you guys.......I really hope someone comes up with a quick solution!
Thanks Chris - yeah, the damage caused by the LET pinball (formerly LET idler pulley) sucked big time. I realize that's a freak thing... it just as easily could've missed anything vital, and it simply would've been a "replace the seized bearing, and replace the chewed up water pump" job. As it was, it was around $2,200ish for the tow and repair... $2,200 that could've gone towards more mods instead! (sigh)

Quick Reply: !!! LET Motorsports Pulley Failure !!!