Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

New and improved Heat exchanger installed, TAAA DAAA

Old 09-23-2008, 01:40 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: New and improved Heat exchanger installed, TAAA DAAA

Originally Posted by indyjoe
I think this may have been done on an Evosport car.

I have a couple of questions that may be dumb. Why wouldn't the HE come direct from the factory like this? Why was everyone so worried about a dual intake filter and horns blocking the airflow into the radiator when this does the same thing (although air does travel through at a very restricted rate? Does blocking the air condition/engine radiator cause any long term problems? This seems like a no-brainer, but if it is a no-brainer then why do most cars come with an upper radiator and lower heat exhanger?

Thanks
I think it all has to do with cost... Sure they could've used a bigger heat exchanger, but they also could've crammed in a V8 and 10" tires, etc etc etc, the list goes on. All the car manufacturer needs to do is ensure the car lasts past its warranty expiration and gives a performance level that the sports car buyer is looking for. Chrysler just needs the car to be fun and reliable for 3 years/33K miles. Their below-average methods of cooling are good enough to accomplished that.

Old 09-23-2008, 09:04 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Yo Wood, what's the summit part number?

Old 09-23-2008, 09:31 PM

Originally Posted by indyjoe
I think this may have been done on an Evosport car...Why wouldn't the HE come direct from the factory like this?...
+1, ohonesaz.

IIRC, Vadim fabricated an SLR-style intercooler while at evosport. I’ve not seen a massive heat exchanger or FMIC in front of an M112 from them, but that doesn’t mean it hasn’t been successfully done. It has. He has since moved on to VRP. However, these photographs of his prototype are still on the MBW server:

Originally Posted by Vadim @ VRP
…another piece of the original project. As you can see from the picture I used original manifold and attached an IC core to the side. Very similar to how SLR ICs work…

C32-IC-1.jpg

C32-Intercooling001.jpg

My worthless perspective on why Daimler Chrysler went with the intercooler and heat exchanger location setup they did was merely to minimize packaging concerns. For them to tuck the intercooler in the valley meant that virtually no modifications to the existing W170/203 chassis would be necessary to shoehorn in the AMG powerplant. A heat exchanger, cheap fluid pump, and some rubber hoses were all that was necessary to prepare the engine bay for ~350 horsepower. I don’t believe it was related to airflow across the radiator which, as you’ve noted, is already quite obstructed. Nonetheless, my coolant has never approached overheating even during summertime track sessions in the California desert.

To have plumbed a FMIC or heat exchanger of sufficient BTU strength in order to cater to us incorrigible gearheads would have necessitated far more chassis variations from the lesser variants, and was therefore promptly nixed by the bean counters. imho, of course.

Old 09-24-2008, 12:45 AM

Woody, don't want to hijack the thread about your HE... You say the thickness of the LET-HE (which I have on my car) is not good for airflow through it. Do you think you could improve the airflow through it by putting Air-Baffles on it, like the way the smaller stock HE does? Would this improve the cooling?

Thanks.

Old 09-24-2008, 03:09 AM
Received 30 Likes on 23 Posts
Talking Re: New and improved Heat exchanger installed, TAAA DAAA

I was not busting on the LET design it is an improvement. I was commenting that for an air cooled h/e that the larger is better and the thicker is not a plus because less cold air gets to the back core and there is more restriction for the air to pass thru.

Taking the factory mounting it , the LET, is a good increase. I actually added 4 12v fans to mine and added baffeling to get all the ram air effect I could get. MOre air is more heat rejection and all good.

My SUPER COOLER design uses all the available space ABOVE THE FRAME RAIL to avoid curbs and to get the most ram air and main fan benefit possible. It is the SUMMIT aluminum race radiator that is about 24 x 16 for 152$. Page 203 of the new catalog, some SUM number I forget.

I am working with a well known company who may be interested in doing the fab needed to finish it into a KIT. If there is enough interest, and I believe that my autocross video will provide that, then the project may become a reality.

I look at this as a value priced addition to the car that builds power without adding stress. Cooler operation without unnecessarily stressing components is a good thing. Ill post the runs on a video (short I promise) so you can test drive the benefits and have real data to analyze how well it goes.

This design was done in concert with another project (or two) that youll be howling about when they come to light. I honestly believe that this will be the most fun weve had thus far, I apoligize for the teaser, but I warn you its worth it and yess the car [your too] goes better.

Project crazy Woody...........taa daa

Old 09-24-2008, 11:17 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Found it, Summit part number SUM-380645
http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?autofilter=1&part=SUM%2D380645&N=70 0+0&autoview=sku

Thanks.

Old 10-05-2008, 03:13 AM

Woody, do you have any results how much your IAT's are lower now with your new HE?
Thanks!!

Old 10-05-2008, 04:34 AM

Originally Posted by SLK32Germany
Woody, do you have any results how much your IAT's are lower now with your new HE?
Thanks!!
I have the same size on the cooler + Johnsson 30-pump and separate the coolsystem., have drive with it for 6 month now.

My temp is never over 10 degrees from the airtemp, (normaly driving)

When you drive hard for a while the temp goes down wery quickly (30-60sec.)

/Lars Sedell

Old 10-05-2008, 05:08 AM
Talking Re: New and improved Heat exchanger installed, TAAA DAAA

There you go, SUB-12 second run says it all. I have a video that shows the runs on a wet track, but it is not meaningful enough to give a good grasp on the improvements.

I have plans to get a better video next weeks race and of course at the East Coast "AMBUSH OF CROSSFIRES" meet at MIR.

Woody ENJOY

Old 10-05-2008, 08:56 AM

u r the best i love ur videos

Old 10-05-2008, 10:44 AM

How are your ECT????? With this big HE you are blocking much of the air flow to the radiator. Have you monitored the engine coolant temp??? Great writeup, it's simply the best approach to solve the rising IAT's problem.

Last edited by el_ache_veintidos; 10-05-2008 at 11:08 AM.
Old 10-05-2008, 11:42 AM

All normal temps, but you remember that I designed an easy to reproduce true 180 stat after the 170 proved too cool for the winter. 1/2 tick below middle unless Iam getting it on. WOODY

Old 10-10-2008, 12:46 PM
Forum Regular

Woody... I went back through your vids but couldn't find it. What is the stock hose size? I plan to relocate my stock HE to in front of the radiator, if possible, to get a little better cooling as im going to install a code3 pulley.

Old 10-12-2008, 07:11 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ohnoesaz
Woody... I went back through your vids but couldn't find it. What is the stock hose size? I plan to relocate my stock HE to in front of the radiator, if possible, to get a little better cooling as im going to install a code3 pulley.
The stock location is in front of the radiator.

Old 10-12-2008, 01:08 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 70GT6
The stock location is in front of the radiator.
Its in front of the lower radiator, where very little air goes (Read Woody's extensive posts on this). The stock H/E should be adequate if moved to in front of the upper part of the radiator, behind the upper grill.

Woody is all about cooling through and fabbed up a much better H/E, but for "common" people like me just improving the stock setup is good enough, and the stock H/E will work fine if moved upwards.

I think the stock H/E moved upwards will give the same performance as the LET H/E mounted in the stock lower location, or at least in the same range....

Old 10-12-2008, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by ohnoesaz
Its in front of the lower radiator, where very little air goes (Read Woody's extensive posts on this). The stock H/E should be adequate if moved to in front of the upper part of the radiator, behind the upper grill.

Woody is all about cooling through and fabbed up a much better H/E, but for "common" people like me just improving the stock setup is good enough, and the stock H/E will work fine if moved upwards.

I think the stock H/E moved upwards will give the same performance as the LET H/E mounted in the stock lower location, or at least in the same range....
Can't speak for the SRT6, but where the stock H/E is located on the C32, it gets plenty of air and still sucks. Placement definitely makes a difference, but you also have to consider coolant flow through the H/E which is much better on the after-market units.

Last edited by Eleventeen; 10-12-2008 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:20 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by waldig
I was not busting on the LET design it is an improvement. I was commenting that for an air cooled h/e that the larger is better and the thicker is not a plus because less cold air gets to the back core and there is more restriction for the air to pass thru.

Taking the factory mounting it , the LET, is a good increase. I actually added 4 12v fans to mine and added baffeling to get all the ram air effect I could get. MOre air is more heat rejection and all good.

My SUPER COOLER design uses all the available space ABOVE THE FRAME RAIL to avoid curbs and to get the most ram air and main fan benefit possible. It is the SUMMIT aluminum race radiator that is about 24 x 16 for 152$. Page 203 of the new catalog, some SUM number I forget.

I am working with a well known company who may be interested in doing the fab needed to finish it into a KIT. If there is enough interest, and I believe that my autocross video will provide that, then the project may become a reality.

I look at this as a value priced addition to the car that builds power without adding stress. Cooler operation without unnecessarily stressing components is a good thing. Ill post the runs on a video (short I promise) so you can test drive the benefits and have real data to analyze how well it goes.

This design was done in concert with another project (or two) that youll be howling about when they come to light. I honestly believe that this will be the most fun weve had thus far, I apoligize for the teaser, but I warn you its worth it and yess the car [your too] goes better.

Project crazy Woody...........taa daa
Bumping the thread for good info for others.
I recall watching the vids last year but needed a refresher

Old 05-05-2013, 12:50 AM
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Bump, I want this! Vadim's intercoolers that is.

Last edited by grip grip; 05-05-2013 at 01:34 AM.
Old 05-06-2013, 07:34 PM
Forum Regular

Vadim's intercooler was never completed. He only had the partial mockup you see in the pictures. If you can track him down there is a long list of people that would like to have words with him.

Old 03-02-2015, 05:44 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
great job and good video.

on my old car the heat exchanger for the supercharger was even smaller than the srt6's lol.

i had a custom one built for me by a sprint car radiator manufacturer, they let me pick the size, pipe diameter and single, double or triple pass. Here is how it turned out:

The unit was a dual pass 18"W x 12"H x 2"W, uses 1/2" NPT inlet/outlets.

Beautiful car! I know this is an old post but man that car is sharp. I will list my H/E specs. I bought a Fluidyne heat exchanger that is an upgrade for the '03/'04 Mustang Cobra's that were SC'd. I had a Cobra motor in a '99 GT making 440/440 to the wheels.
the specs on the cooling fins are 18"wide, 6" tall and 3" deep. Overall it is 22 x 6.5 x 3.5" and it should fit in place of the stock HE with little extra work. not sure of the flow nor how to measure it but if it was an upgrade to the Cobra with 281c.i. It should not have trouble with our motor and less boost. I will post pics in a new thread. Mark

Quick Reply: New and improved Heat exchanger installed, TAAA DAAA