Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

185 vs 178 debate

Old 07-21-2008, 10:36 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 185 vs 178 debate

Since I seemed to have ruffled a few feathers, rather than hijack Robs thread I figured it would be better to start a new one.

I made th observation that the 185 may not be better than the 178 due to increased heat/IAT. I say this based from what took place at the last LET track day. Riot had the 185 at the last track day and correct me if I am wrong, but weren't all the pullied cars(Let, Code 3, Rentech) running around the same times? I can see several timeslips in Steve helliums gallery that would leave me to believe the 185 could net the same results as the 178. One for example.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:29 PM
Default Re: 185 vs 178 debate

Originally Posted by SRTpowa
Since I seemed to have ruffled a few feathers...
Not at all.

Healthy discussion and stout performances are the mainstay several members’ interests.

Clearly, our anemic intercooler reaches a point of diminishing returns with regard to increased boost. Properly controlling IATs and its commensurate spark retard are instrumental in increasing overall output. My evosport ODPS and LET heat exchanger are well within the safe parameters during extended WOT road course jousting. Could I use more thrust? Of course. Not quite sure how to successfully acquire same with its 91 octane.

Couple o' links from those who’ve previously headed down the path we’re contemplating…

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...threadid=18979

http://forums.mbworld.org/forums/sho...2&postcount=11

Your insight is welcomed.

Old 07-21-2008, 11:31 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

That debate as already been beaten to death

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ad.php?t=24506

Buy, install and run what you like - it's your car, your money, your hobby - same for every other member. Be happy with your choice or poney up some money and move to something else.

If there was a magic combination of mods out there that would get you to that elusive 12.2 or 12.0 - then we would see loads and loads members posting these results.

Rather then cherry-pick a single time sheet, it seems that any SRT6 with any pulley, intake and tune will run in the mid 12's on a warm summer day - perhaps worse on a hot humid day and perhaps better on a cool crisp day - depending on the driver's ability and the track conditions. (density altitude, etc..)

I bet with skilled drivers - at the same track - same day - there would not be more then .3 sec either way. but now - NOS - Drag Radials - METH - Exhaust cutouts - grill and intake filter removal - might tip the balance (but these are not considered street legal mods)

Rob seems to have the "wholy grail" of mods - and it would make a big statement if he were to run heads-up against the others on a private track day with his SRTs totally modded out against the Code3's, 178, 181, and 185, fitted with different combos of SL55, factory modified, custom and of course the NW intake znd several ECU Tunes.

That would be fun

Old 07-22-2008, 01:29 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BrianBrave

Rob seems to have the "wholy grail" of mods - and it would make a big statement if he were to run heads-up against the others on a private track day with his SRTs totally modded out against the Code3's, 178, 181, and 185, fitted with different combos of SL55, factory modified, custom and of course the NW intake znd several ECU Tunes.

That would be fun
couldnt agree more, thats the type of stuff I would be more then happy to get a hotel and drive a few hours for.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:19 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
, it seems that any SRT6 with any pulley, intake and tune will run in the mid 12's on a warm summer day - perhaps worse on a hot humid day and perhaps better on a cool crisp day - depending on the driver's ability and the track conditions. (density altitude, etc..)
That is exactly what I was trying to say. If you could keep the IATs down the 185 would be better obviously, but for people like me in the the hot and humid south, it is nearly impossible. I have the 178 now, but I will wait a few months before I go back to the track. 100 degrees with a 110 heat index I'd be lucky to break into the 12's. Maybe once the weather cools all you 185 guys will be able to take advantage of the extra boost and push deeper into the 12's as well. Like you said, buy what you like and have fun.

Old 07-22-2008, 04:21 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Since I seemed to have ruffled a few feathers, rather than hijack Robs thread I figured it would be better to start a new one.

I made th observation that the 185 may not be better than the 178 due to increased heat/IAT. I say this based from what took place at the last LET track day. Riot had the 185 at the last track day and correct me if I am wrong, but weren't all the pullied cars(Let, Code 3, Rentech) running around the same times? I can see several timeslips in Steve helliums gallery that would leave me to believe the 185 could net the same results as the 178. One for example.
That slip was one of my worse runs, the car had made several runs down the track, one right after another and my HE coolant temp gauge was up in the high 120's to low 130's. When I first started running with the HE coolant gauge was under 100 I was running in the 12.5's.

I was running a 178 pulley, RENNtech tuned ECU, stock HE/with fans and an SL55 "Y". Riot was running a 185 pulley, LET tuned ECU, LET HE and a Needswings intake. Bikecop was running a Code 3 pulley, Inmotion tuned ECU, his own intake (kind of like Needswings),105 octane E85, Code3 HE and a meth injection system. IAT temps was the killer, by making a run and coming right back up to make another my times kept getting slower and slower since I wasn't letting the car cool down. I could watch my HE coolant gauge just keep climbing by doing runs one right after another. I personally think all 3 of us were running about the same when our IAT temps were down, but I think my car made the fastest run of the 3 SRT 6's that were there. But I could be wrong, but bikecop was doing a lot of watching and he did say my SRT 6 was the fastest ( when my IAT temps were down).

Old 07-22-2008, 04:36 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I have believed that since day one on this site but there are so many hyper-sensitive old men on this forum you can not discuss anything without someone getting their feelings hurt lmao.

The supercharger needs an upgraded cooling system then they would see the gains over the code3 or 178 pulley. It could be as simple as adding alcohol injection, that would be more effective than simply upgrading your front mount.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:00 AM

Originally Posted by mrphotoman
I have believed that since day one on this site but there are so many hyper-sensitive old men on this forum you can not discuss anything without someone getting their feelings hurt lmao.

The supercharger needs an upgraded cooling system then they would see the gains over the code3 or 178 pulley. It could be as simple as adding alcohol injection, that would be more effective than simply upgrading your front mount.
Bikecop was running an alcohol injection system with his Code3 pulley & Code3 HE. He and I made several runs together and although we were running pretty close, I don't think he ever beat me.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:52 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
Bikecop was running an alcohol injection system with his Code3 pulley & Code3 HE. He and I made several runs together and although we were running pretty close, I don't think he ever beat me.
hmm i wonder if running the e85 had anything to do with it. when running alcohol injection you can safely bump the timing, i wonder if his tune did that or not?

congrats though on the runs!

Old 07-22-2008, 06:21 AM

hmm i wonder if running the e85 had anything to do with it. when running alcohol injection you can safely bump the timing, i wonder if his tune did that or not?

congrats though on the runs!
I believe he had just had his ECU retuned for the E85. It really wasn't that hot that day, (low 80's) but the air just felt thick. I think I would have ran as low as a 12.3 or maybe even a 12.2 if the air wouldn't have been so thick. But it was hot enough that my wife got a pretty good sun burn, her forehead was peeling about 2 or 3 days later.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:28 AM

I'm not sure what to think between the two really......IMO, the 181-185's havent proved anything significant over the 178's as stated. I know im running 100ft above sea level, but I honestly believe im two mods away(Meth and maybe NW manifolds or SC pulley) from being well into the 11's on streets. Just a few weeks ago in 85deg heat i was running 12.2's all day long. I believe Jeff is the first to break into the 11's without NOS. Posted on dragtimes. Nice job Jeff

Old 07-22-2008, 07:38 AM

Bikecop's Meth injection system is running into the intake manifolds and not before the Sc therefore not really helping the SC cool. I would like to see someone run the Injection into the intake before the SC and see what that does to the IAT. MDSRT6 and I are going to Capitol Raceway on Friday (weather permitting) and we are going to run against each other. Anybody in the Maryland/DC/VA area with a 178 or Code3 want to come out with us?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
Anybody in the Maryland/DC/VA area with a 178 or Code3 want to come out with us?
Capitol is 3 hours from me. I would love to come, but I doubt I will be able to make it on a Friday. I have to work till 5. Let us know how you make out.

Old 07-22-2008, 07:51 AM

Bikecop's Meth injection system is running into the intake manifolds and not before the Sc therefore not really helping the SC cool. I would like to see someone run the Injection into the intake before the SC and see what that does to the IAT. MDSRT6 and I are going to Capitol Raceway on Friday (weather permitting) and we are going to run against each other. Anybody in the Maryland/DC/VA area with a 178 or Code3 want to come out with us?
I will meet up with you guys in the fall, it is about a 6 hour drive for me but I would love to go to MIR, how close are you to there?

Old 07-22-2008, 07:58 AM

I will meet up with you guys in the fall, it is about a 6 hour drive for me but I would love to go to MIR, how close are you to there?
I'm about 50 min away from MIR. The only reason that we aren't going their is because I'm going out of town on vacation Saturday and MIR's test and tune is Sunday. I definitely prefer MIR.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:02 AM

Hey fellas, with MD, distant, MRphoto, and me, we can have some of the fastest SRT6's in one spot to throw down. I will be getting more mods before the fall so we should all figure out a date we can all get together and throw down some nasty times for the rest of th forum to drool over.

Old 07-22-2008, 08:50 AM

I am in! I think we should do it in the fall sometime though. By then, i might have my meth installed and a couple of other goodies. :P

Old 07-22-2008, 09:32 AM

I think mid-october would be a great time to do it. I do not mind driving up, that is what the car is for lol.

Old 07-22-2008, 11:07 AM

No doubt, I'll start hounding you guys in the fall. See if we can't get all our SRT's in the 11's on the same day.

Old 07-22-2008, 10:30 PM

I think the car on dragtimes in FL not sure if it's screaminjoe, but it does have the injection in front and inline. I'm just going off of those old posts. He went 11's. Jeff is the only one with 11's so far with just tuning, and alot of other port and polishing that most won't ever do. Rob is close and should be there soon. Would already be there if he raced at either your guys sweet low elevation tracks. Yes I'm jealous.

I'm happy with my 178mm, don't have to worry about pushing the car's limits and fully expect some lucky future owner to have 200k miles on her. Don't even have a tune yet (12.52 best)(12.86 @ 4640 da 103 degrees), but fully expect to be low 12's later this year with rob's goodies at my stinkin 1340' elevation. In all truth my home track is smokin.

Either way I'll race any other crossfire heads up, besides rob and jeff . It's all on the starting line and by the looks of those reaction times, some of you need more mods to make up for it. I know the more mods you have the harder it is to get a sweet launch. Muncho practice. No other srt6's race in AZ, I need some company.

Quick Reply: 185 vs 178 debate