Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

pulley's

Old 05-12-2008, 08:05 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default pulley's

OK alot of you will dismiss this as crazy, but my theory on the pulleys is 178mm is perfect. Any larger and you start to reduce power. There have been some company's promoting the other sizes and showed some higher boost levels, But no one including myself to date anyway has benefitted on the track from them. I believe the trade off between the extra heat etc.. reduces power. Renntech and evosport etc whom are large companies with big budgets have studied this, what is safe and produces peak power. I ran 12.08 on the 178mm pulley and have not done any better with the 181mm with all the same parameters. In fact I've been slower and yes I have adjusted tune for it. That is why I started the 178/181/185 thread. Anyone who has run faster than a car with a 178mm pulley on a 1/4 mile track with a 181 or 185 please chime in!

Old 05-12-2008, 08:28 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Re: pulley's

You probably are right, and it will take some time for the others to catch up to the progress you've already accomplished. It may be at least a few months before the others with bigger pullies get good track conditions and real track time experience. I've got a stack of slips over an inch and half thick, and thats just with testing the intake and 178mm pulley. I still think the car is adjusting to them. No tune yet either. You have come along way real quick, there are only a handful of us that passionate about the 1/4 mile. The rest are content that the car is quicker. I for one feel safe running the 178mm ***** out on the track, and not worrying about the supercharger or motor being overworked. It's like someone had posted way back that the dealer actually had an option for a 178mm pulley.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:30 PM

yeah i could see an aftermarket supercharger being the next big power upgrade after the 178.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:34 PM
Banned

I believe your right!
Also and I have to say Code3s' SC pulley is comparible to the 178s peak. And the overall driving experience is almost perfect. Great torque and power band for normal driving. One bolt on and your done! I also check my gas mileage and I was amazed it was the same. Even though I seamed to be driving alot faster and more often than before.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:41 PM

yes it seems as far as testing goes the 178 has it over everything and then the code3 pulley. they both seem like very nice setups. the 178 doesnt seem to be borderline blowing up the supercharger and seems to be transfered to stock tires very well. the code 3 even though it is new seems to be showing very similar power. it looks like it will come down to whichever the person prefers either supercharger pulley or cranks

Old 05-12-2008, 08:44 PM

Could be very right. There are so many factors and conditions I dont know if a general statement can be made. Heat may be a very real factor at the track where you are making run after run, but may not be that big of a deal in normal driving. My drive is mainly highway and so far I am happy with the effect of the 181. Would it be the same with a 178...maybe.
I doubt that under day to day driving there is much difference. Clearly different uses from street to track. I am sure each of the sizes available have a place. Likely different "packages" will develope for each size given enough time to work out the particulars.

Old 05-12-2008, 08:57 PM

im jealous of this guys^^^ fiero gt. sorry to jack the thread just had to say it

Old 05-12-2008, 09:03 PM

Originally Posted by Voyager
im jealous of this guys^^^ fiero gt. sorry to jack the thread just had to say it
Fun little car and it only has 40k miles on her.
The 70 Triumph is the real fun one (only 13K on it, well the body)

GT6ENG.jpg

nos-1.jpg
hood.jpg

Now back to pulleys.....

Old 05-12-2008, 09:07 PM

what does the 178 boost? i could of sworn it was like 21 or 22 right?? what was the code3 again? it had about the same power but with less boost(i thought).

Old 05-13-2008, 05:16 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by MD SRT6
OK alot of you will dismiss this as crazy, but my theory on the pulleys is 178mm is perfect. Any larger and you start to reduce power. There have been some company's promoting the other sizes and showed some higher boost levels, But no one including myself to date anyway has benefitted on the track from them. I believe the trade off between the extra heat etc.. reduces power. Renntech and evosport etc whom are large companies with big budgets have studied this, what is safe and produces peak power. I ran 12.08 on the 178mm pulley and have not done any better with the 181mm with all the same parameters. In fact I've been slower and yes I have adjusted tune for it. That is why I started the 178/181/185 thread. Anyone who has run faster than a car with a 178mm pulley on a 1/4 mile track with a 181 or 185 please chime in!
I don't think you are crazy at all, I think you make a good point. There has got to be a point that your boost levels are going to cause excessive heat and a good ECU tune (safe) is going to start dumping fuel causing you to run rich and loose HP. I said to the guy that just done the dyno on my car, "going from a 178 to a 181 pulley really wouldn't make that much difference in boost would it"? He told me I would be suprized how much more boost the 181 pulley would make compared to the 178. You know there has to be a reason why one of the bigger companies didn't try to out do another by going to a larger pulley.

Old 05-13-2008, 05:52 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by MD SRT6
I had noticed the same thing when reading threads on people running the different pulleys. Unless you have the extra cooling then you will not be making any more power/possibly less with the extra boost. If you would add headers and maybe some exhaust cutouts you may see the power come back.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:35 AM

We need to get down to the bottom of this, I'm about to get my 185 installed and I want POWER!!!

Old 05-13-2008, 06:43 AM
Forum Regular

It's all in the tuning guys. A 185 will require cooling upgrades and it does create tons of heat.

We custom tuned a C32 with a 185 and the car isn't touchable on the street.

We have a drag day this Saturday and I'm sure records will be broken.

If you don't want to do good tuning, then do not add a larger pulley.

Old 05-13-2008, 06:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
We need to get down to the bottom of this, I'm about to get my 185 installed and I want POWER!!!
When at the track I would ice down your supercharger between runs for at least 10 minutes to help. Upgrade your heat exchanger and maybe invest in a icebox. I am going to get one made up for the car as soon as I have time

Old 05-13-2008, 07:06 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amg-jerry
It's all in the tuning guys. A 185 will require cooling upgrades and it does create tons of heat.

"Good Tuning is as simple as having a perfect air fuel ratio and the correct timing for your mods" Not really that complicated. + pulling the limiters if you want to. Good luck on Saturday!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:27 AM

I was about to add to post #10 that I made, then I read this. The big 3 that we all refer to did not design their pulley/ECU kits to be race cars. Their setups were designed to make an everyday driver a fast street car with out IAT cooling mod's.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:28 AM
Forum Regular

I can assure you that there are more than 5 maps for your car, including ignition advance at part load, ignition advance during acceleration, AF maps, etc.

It's not as easy as saying you want 18.6 degrees of timing and a 12.5:1 AFR. You have to know how that's going to affect other areas in the map as well as other maps and you have to know how to calculate AFR.

Trust me, I've seen Renntech Tuning, Evotech Tuning, Kleemann Tuning, etc and it scares me to know that there are some of you that have their software on your car.

We didn't purchase $30K in tuning hardware / software to sit around and hide behind the big tuners. We are here to remove the mystery of tuning and to better inform you with the changes we make.

I think it's sad that a 16 year old Evo driver knows what amount of timing he's running at any given load and most of the forum members here have no idea what I'm talking about.....this needs to change.

Thanks for wishing us luck!! I'm glad I finally get to hang with the X-Fire guys!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:36 AM

I for one do not understand how our ecus work as much as id like to, and with the $ ive been spending on mods id like to. Please be patient as some of us look at all those numbers and our head hurts If you care to explain id like to learn. You probably dont want to give away all your trade secrets but im sure theres pleanty of general info you can enlighten us with if you care to. Thanks.

I can assure you that there are more than 5 maps for your car, including ignition advance at part load, ignition advance during acceleration, AF maps, etc.

It's not as easy as saying you want 18.6 degrees of timing and a 12.5:1 AFR. You have to know how that's going to affect other areas in the map as well as other maps and you have to know how to calculate AFR.

Trust me, I've seen Renntech Tuning, Evotech Tuning, Kleemann Tuning, etc and it scares me to know that there are some of you that have their software on your car.

We didn't purchase $30K in tuning hardware / software to sit around and hide behind the big tuners. We are here to remove the mystery of tuning and to better inform you with the changes we make.

I think it's sad that a 16 year old Evo driver knows what amount of timing he's running at any given load and most of the forum members here have no idea what I'm talking about.....this needs to change.

Thanks for wishing us luck!! I'm glad I finally get to hang with the X-Fire guys!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:37 AM
Forum Regular

I agree...I feel that the 178mm pulley was chosen because it doesn't require anything else be done to the car. Also, with the 178mm you really don't have anything to worry about if you take your car to the dealer and they re-flash your car. With a 185mm, that could be an issue if you are running lean.

However, I feel that a 181mm or 185mm tuned SRT6 will walk the 178mm tuned SRT6 all day long. I have drivien RIOT's car all weekend while tuning it and I assure you it's faster than my C32...which runs 12.4's all day long.

Keep in mind that most 181 or 185 pulley owners have not even installed them yet. This is new and there will be things to overcome.

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I was about to add to post #10 that I made, then I read this. The big 3 that we all refer to did not design their pulley/ECU kits to be race cars. Their setups were designed to make an everyday driver a fast street car with out IAT cooling mod's.

Last edited by amg-jerry; 05-13-2008 at 07:45 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 07:44 AM
Forum Regular

Sure, maybe I should start a new thread. Or if you have any questions, please ask.

I'm not afraid to give away trade secrets....

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
I for one do not understand how our ecus work as much as id like to, and with the $ ive been spending on mods id like to. Please be patient as some of us look at all those numbers and our head hurts If you care to explain id like to learn. You probably dont want to give away all your trade secrets but im sure theres pleanty of general info you can enlighten us with if you care to. Thanks.

Quick Reply: pulley's