Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

pulley's

Old 05-13-2008, 07:08 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: pulley's

Originally Posted by amg-jerry
I guess I can only speak about the tunes that I've seen and my personal tune that I paid over $2k for. I bought the Stage I kit (pulley / tune), plus I paid an extra $1k for a custom tune. I sent my ECU to them at least 15 time via overnight delivery to get what I thought was a better tune. I spent over $5k in labor costs with various places to figure out what was wrong with my car. It wasn't making power and was running lean. They said I should be running 12.5 to 1 with my tune, so there must be something wrong my car. I replaced every sensor, fuel filter, injectors, plugs, wires, and paid for a leak down test. After a year of troubleshooting my dyno shop discovered that either MB didn't gap my plugs or gapped them wrong. They were gapped beyone the shops measuring tool. After they were gapped correctly, the car picked up 45-50rwhp.

Now, after months of learning LET's new software, I compared my Renntech file to other tuners files and to the stock software. Turns out the only thing changed in all 5 maps was the ignition timing at part load! They never even touched the injector maps which is why I was running lean! They did change the rev limiter and top speed limiter. This isn't what I was expecting to see. I paid over $750 in shipping costs for this?? I was furious and now I will never send a client there again. I was pro Renntech and even put Renntech stickers on my car.

I guess the saying "If you want something done right, do it yourself." was right on in my case.

I have also had the pleasure of looking at E55 tunes and SL55 tunes from Renntech. Needless to say, they were nothing special and not worth the money.

I (and LET) promise to provide as much information on tuning as possible to better educate everyone. There is nothing special about our ECU's and the tuning is actually easy to understand once you know the basics.

It will be better for everyone if you are educated on what is being done to your car. I have sat down with local members and actually told / showed them what I've changed and why.

If you have any questions, please ask. LET is in the process of bringing a new partner on board to assist me with tuning and to provide their experience. Stay tuned!
Did you take your car to renntech or mail away your computer the first time?

Old 05-13-2008, 07:10 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

im sorry for your loss. the brother situation just happened to a buddy of mine here as well. except his brothers live in england.
SORRY TO JACK THE THREAD. proceed with the pulley conversation

Old 05-13-2008, 07:16 PM

Thanks guys, neither I help first time buyers into homes.
Chi- get back here so we could own the track.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:24 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by cruzinquick
I am seriously looking into coming back...peoria or bust!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:31 PM
Forum Regular

If I spent thousands trying to figure out my spark plug gap was off, I would get out of the automotive field all together. And fire all the shops I went to. Lots of incompetency in that explantion above.That is part of mechanics 101 check primary and secondary ignition + are you not a auto technicain yourself? Or are you just a forum reader?

Last edited by MD SRT6; 05-13-2008 at 07:34 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 02:40 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

[quote=amg-jerry]I guess I can only speak about the tunes that I've seen and my personal tune that I paid over $2k for. I bought the Stage I kit (pulley / tune), plus I paid an extra $1k for a custom tune. I sent my ECU to them at least 15 time via overnight delivery to get what I thought was a better tune. I spent over $5k in labor costs with various places to figure out what was wrong with my car. It wasn't making power and was running lean. They said I should be running 12.5 to 1 with my tune, so there must be something wrong my car. I replaced every sensor, fuel filter, injectors, plugs, wires, and paid for a leak down test. After a year of troubleshooting my dyno shop discovered that either MB didn't gap my plugs or gapped them wrong. They were gapped beyone the shops measuring tool. After they were gapped correctly, the car picked up 45-50rwhp.

Now, after months of learning LET's new software, I compared my Renntech file to other tuners files and to the stock software. Turns out the only thing changed in all 5 maps was the ignition timing at part load! They never even touched the injector maps which is why I was running lean! They did change the rev limiter and top speed limiter. This isn't what I was expecting to see. I paid over $750 in shipping costs for this?? I was furious and now I will never send a client there again. I was pro Renntech and even put Renntech stickers on my car.
[quote]

I find it odd that my RENNtech tune is too rich & your problem was too lean. Are you certain it was running lean because of the plug gap or was there other reasons too (not that I'm questioning your knowledge)? I didn't buy my car to make it a 1/4 mile race car, I just wanted a fast street car. But now I do have interest in racing it, my biggest problem is there are no 1/4 mile tracks around where I live. We do have a few 1/8th tracks around close and I do plan on hitting them. RENNtech has offered to re-tune my ECU for free, but I'm worried they still won't get it as lean as I want it and I don't want to play the same game you did with them.

Last edited by Steve Hellums; 05-14-2008 at 02:57 AM.
Old 05-14-2008, 06:47 AM
Forum Regular

I'm a multiple business owner who doesn't have time to turn a wrench. I work on my car when I can. In fact, I prefer to do all my work but my schedule doesn't permit it most of the time.

I purchased some cams from Schrick that had a bad grind and some of my troubleshooting costs were tied into that. Of course, I let Schrick know how I felt and in return for my trouble I got an extra set of cams and they paid some of the labor charges to the dealership. So, since I paid the dealership to intall the cams and do troubleshooting, I ended up with a credit that needed to be used.

Most dealerships have techs that are nothing more than good parts changers. I gave them a list of things to do and gapping the plugs was one of them.

I do enjoy turning a wrench...in fact, I have an SRT6 motor with 5k miles on it taking up my wifes space in the garage. I personally have done more to my 3.2L Kompressor motor than any other owner and I'm not stopping now.

My time is now occupied with R&D and Tuning @ LET. These nice little 181 and 185 pulleys are an example of my R&D efforts.

We have many new products coming out that will benefit the 3.2L motor....it's going to be a good 2008.

Originally Posted by MD SRT6
If I spent thousands trying to figure out my spark plug gap was off, I would get out of the automotive field all together. And fire all the shops I went to. Lots of incompetency in that explantion above.That is part of mechanics 101 check primary and secondary ignition + are you not a auto technicain yourself? Or are you just a forum reader?

Old 05-14-2008, 06:55 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I find it odd that my RENNtech tune is too rich & your problem was too lean. Are you certain it was running lean because of the plug gap or was there other reasons too (not that I'm questioning your knowledge)? I didn't buy my car to make it a 1/4 mile race car, I just wanted a fast street car. But now I do have interest in racing it, my biggest problem is there are no 1/4 mile tracks around where I live. We do have a few 1/8th tracks around close and I do plan on hitting them. RENNtech has offered to re-tune my ECU for free, but I'm worried they still won't get it as lean as I want it and I don't want to play the same game you did with them.
My car has ran lean from the day I flashed the car with the Renntech tune.

Here is a graph that is a year old.

Old 05-14-2008, 07:14 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

GRD! I know those guys really well...tell Irsad Abe says hi.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:29 AM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Yeah; then you both could cruise up here to Vegas for some major track ownage.

Old 05-14-2008, 12:14 PM

Come to my track I think it's closer than you think. Heres the address and video of about a month ago. A little cooler but not much. Was during a qualifying session. I always do 2 small launches after my burnout to get them more sticky.
Speedworld Dragstrip
19421 W. Jomax Rd.
Wittmann, AZ 85361
Office Phone: (623) 388-0039
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuEisj6CYx0

Old 05-14-2008, 12:51 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Brian,
Here is a link to the Division 7 tracks. http://www.speedworlddragstrip.com/division7.asp You can always become an enthusiast. You are fortunate like others back east to have some great tracks in CA. I hope to make fontana this summer. Look up when they run team racing or street trophy nights. The track is professionally prepped and most of the test and tune guys don't like to get into the competition and only go on open nights. It cost a few bucks more and usually you get 3 qualifying passes and 1 elimination unless you keep going on. These are the best times and track prep. The hardcore guys will appreciate your car's performance and welcome you in. Give it a try, I guarantee you'll be hooked. Also the LXforums.com always hold big mopar events in CA, and you always join up with the mbworld.org guys for their private track rentals. Contact Juicee63 over there for support. Lots of opportunities to print up a slip.
Thanks for the link - but they need to update their website..

Los Angeles County Raceway has been closed down for some time

Iwrindale Speedway is now Toyota Speedway with an 1/8 mile track

Fomosa is a 1/4 mile track (my 2nd Choice) Lots of T&T nights but a 4 hour drive each way

That website doesn't list California Speedway (Fontana) 1/4 mile track (1st choice) but they only open up for street cars one Saturday per month

Infinion and Sacramento are two far (over an 8 hour drive).

That leaves me with the same two choices. I may hit Fomosa one Friday night

Old 05-14-2008, 12:53 PM

Come to my track I think it's closer than you think. Heres the address and video of about a month ago. A little cooler but not much. Was during a qualifying session. I always do 2 small launches after my burnout to get them more sticky.
Speedworld Dragstrip
19421 W. Jomax Rd.
Wittmann, AZ 85361
Office Phone: (623) 388-0039
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OuEisj6CYx0
Did you deep stage on purpose?! If you were shallow, that pass would have been a 12.75 Nice run and nice kill! BTW, i wouldn't do the dry hops. No need. If you do a nice clean burnout, your tires should be fine. I did notice your burnout was very short because you got sideways. Try to hang in there for 4-6 seconds just when you see smoke let go of the brake.

Last edited by distantpulse; 05-14-2008 at 12:55 PM.
Old 05-14-2008, 01:05 PM

Another point...if you DO accidentally deep-state...DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT put the vehicle in reverse to correct the problem. The lights WILL drop to green, and you'll find yourself flying backwards into the speedway staff as they scream and dive for cover.

Or so I assume. I have no actual knowledge of the things of which I speak.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:15 PM

Originally Posted by AtomHeart
Another point...if you DO accidentally deep-state...DO NOT...I repeat DO NOT put the vehicle in reverse to correct the problem. The lights WILL drop to green, and you'll find yourself flying backwards into the speedway staff as they scream and dive for cover.

Yeah,
That could be a recipe for disaster! It would be funny as hell to watch though. Of course as long as no one/cars were damaged.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:17 PM

No, nobody was hurt...err...nobody would have been if this had actually happened.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:23 PM

LoL, I would have paid to see it! And I thought people who stage with their back tires was hilarious. :P Just messin with ya!

Old 05-14-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by distantpulse
Did you deep stage on purpose?! If you were shallow, that pass would have been a 12.75 Nice run and nice kill! BTW, i wouldn't do the dry hops. No need. If you do a nice clean burnout, your tires should be fine. I did notice your burnout was very short because you got sideways. Try to hang in there for 4-6 seconds just when you see smoke let go of the brake.
Thanks guys.
I didn't deep stage on purpose at least not that time. I usually like to test the traction and see how high I can rev before the car starts to push me forward. It's different each night. I do the dry hops to also get a feel for the track. If it's real good a short burnout is all that is needed and I test it with a small hop and if I don't hear my tires at all, then it's on. If I do hear my tires then I know the track is not as good. Also I want my tires to last as long as possible for the track. When I first got them I was doing john force burnouts and it didn't help. I could still roast them if I launched wrong. Then I noticed how fast they were wearing out and cut back on the big burnouts. They wouldn't of lasted me a couple of months if I had kept doing that. I'm probably on the last half of them now. Here is the burnout procedure from hoosier.
2. What is the proper burn out procedure for Hoosier drag tires?
ANSWER: With Hoosier's "high traction" compounds, we have found the following burn out procedure to work for most cars. We recommend rolling through the water box to wet the tires. Start the burn out. Once the tires start to "haze", start to slow the burn out down and proceed to the start line. The goal of the burn out is to clean all debris off the tires and heat the just the surface of the tread.

So getting drag radials doesn't mean you can get the front wheels off the ground, you still have to figure out the best way to launch your car.

Old 05-14-2008, 01:40 PM

Originally Posted by AtomHeart

It's hard not to laugh when someone does a huge burnout with street tires and rolls right through the beams. Then they sit there waiting for the green. The starter has to go out and tell them to back up. It's distracting when your trying to concentrate on a good light, but sure makes the night fun.

Old 05-14-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It's hard not to laugh when someone does a huge burnout with street tires and rolls right through the beams. Then they sit there waiting for the green. The starter has to go out and tell them to back up. It's distracting when your trying to concentrate on a good light, but sure makes the night fun.

I thought all those drivers were here at LVMS; nice to see someone else has them as well. lol

Quick Reply: pulley's