Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

pulley's

Old 05-13-2008, 07:49 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: pulley's

Well, when I install the my 185 I will also be installing Johnson pump(already installed), LET HE, and LET thermostat also. I' m thinking that should be enough. I will also be installing an alcohol injection kit in the near future.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:51 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
Well, when I install the my 185 I will also be installing Johnson pump(already installed), LET HE, and LET thermostat also. I' m thinking that should be enough. I will also be installing an alcohol injection kit in the near future.
That will do it!

Old 05-13-2008, 07:53 AM
Forum Regular

I also know what my timing and air fuel ratios are all through my rpm and load range. I datalog frequently and do understand timing and a/f ratio maps change through out the whole range. My computer is completley tuned from idle to redline. But I agree there is still a lot of education to be had by most of us. And I allways enjoy learning As technology is constantly evolving.

Old 05-13-2008, 07:56 AM
Forum Regular

Well, if you care to chat about your tune or have datalogs to share, I would love to help you figure out why you can't break 12's with the 181.

Do you agree that tuning is the most important aspect of modding?

Originally Posted by MD SRT6
I also know what my timing and air fuel ratios are all through my rpm and load range. I datalog frequently and do understand timing and a/f ratio maps change through out the whole range. My computer is completley tuned from idle to redline. But I agree there is still a lot of education to be had by most of us. And I allways enjoy learning As technology is constantly evolving.

Old 05-13-2008, 08:03 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by amg-jerry
Well, if you care to chat about your tune or have datalogs to share, I would love to help you figure out why you can't break 12's with the 181.

Do you agree that tuning is the most important aspect of modding?
I think I'll wait till saturday and see if any of the srt-6's you have tuned can break 12 without spraying anything and if they can then I will buy your tune. Until then I'm good, because until its done its only speculation!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:11 AM
Forum Regular

I think I'll wait till saturday and see if any of the srt-6's you have tuned can break 12 without spraying anything and if they can then I will buy your tune. Until then I'm good, because until its done its only speculation!
Is that a promise?

Old 05-13-2008, 08:15 AM
Forum Regular

Is that a promise?
Absolutely!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:16 AM
Forum Regular

Absolutely!
BTW - If need any help or a second set of eyes, I don't mind helping. You don't even have to buy my tune!

Old 05-13-2008, 08:18 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's all in the tuning guys. A 185 will require cooling upgrades and it does create tons of heat.

We custom tuned a C32 with a 185 and the car isn't touchable on the street.

We have a drag day this Saturday and I'm sure records will be broken.

If you don't want to do good tuning, then do not add a larger pulley.
I guess I'm OK running the big pulley - with a good dyno tune and running in a slightly cooler, sea level environment, I was beginning to worry about
why I was actually running some not-so-bad IAT's with the 185 - I stated in my post when I installed the 185 pulley that I would have to tame the IAT's but I have now decided to go even beyond just a pump and a HE replacement.

I'm not worried about my mods in one bit and forum members with "Pulley Envy" won't sway me.. I'm wise and brave enough to know how to deal with people who want to tell me what I should or should not be doing.

Thanks Jerry for your honest insite and answers..for the betterment of all forum members.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 05-13-2008 at 08:42 AM.
Old 05-13-2008, 08:22 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Pulley envy in Freudian psychoanalysis refers to the theorized reaction of a forum member during the psycho-modification development to the realization that they do not have the biggest pulley. Freud considered this realization a defining moment in the development of horsepower and automotive identity for certain forum members.
In contemporary culture, the term is sometimes used inexactly or metaphorically to refer to the anxieties exhibited by forum members about the size of their pulley.

Sigmund Freud introduced the concept of a forum member’s fixation—and envy of—the larger pulley in his 1908 article, "On the Horsepower Theories of Members", but did not fully develop the idea until substantially later in 1914 when his work On Narcissism was published. It was not mentioned in the first edition of Freud's earlier Three Contributions to the Theory of Horsepower (1905).

The term came to significance as Freud gradually refined his views of forum members, gradually coming to describe a mental process he believed occurred in members as they passed through the horsepower complex from the stock stage to the modified aftermarket stage (see Psycho-Modification development).

In Freud’s Psycho-Modification development theory, the stock stage (approximately between 3 and 8 months of ownership) is the first period of development in which the performance focus is primarily on general driving enjoyment. Prior to this stage, the automobile (broadly defined by Freud as the primary motivating energy force within the mind) focuses on other physiological areas. For instance, in the pre-purchase stage, in the first 12 to 18 months prior to ownership, needs concentrate on the desire to eat, sleep, shop and compare. The theory suggests that the pulley has yet to become the component of principal interest until the modification stage. This becomes the catalyst for a series of pivotal events in psycho-modification development.

For certain forum members:
Soon after the shift in focus to horsepower, the member develops their first impulses towards the pulley. The member then realizes that they not physically equipped to have a larger pulley.

They desire a bigger pulley, and the power that it represents. This is described as pulley envy. Some members will see the solution as obtaining their father’s pulley.

The member then blames other vendors for their apparent castration (what they see as punishment by the vendors for being attracted to the smaller pulley) then, assisting a shift in the focus of their horsepower impulses from one vendor to another.

Desire for the larger pulley leads to the desire to replace and eliminate other vendors.

The member then identifies with their vendor so that they learn to mimic them, and thus replace them. The member anticipates that both aforementioned desires will incur punishment (by the principle of lex talionis)

The member will then employ a defense mechanism of displacement to shift the object of their pulley desires from the vendor to other forum members in general.

The offshoot of these events; often cited in the media and colloquially, is that a member really wants to become a forum administrator, so that they can control pulley sizes of others.

Freud thought this series of events occurred prior to the development of a wider sense of automotive identity, and was required for an individual to continue to enter into his or her forum role. While fashionable for a number of decades, the concept of pulley envy is no longer regarded as a serious threat by other performance enthusiast.

I first did this cut/paste and simple edit for humor - but it sure seems ...well...a little weird - I have no worries about the size of my peni.. er.. pulley

Old 05-13-2008, 08:24 AM
Forum Regular

I just spit tea all over the monitor! Thanks!

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
Pulley envy in Freudian psychoanalysis refers to the theorized reaction of a forum member during the psycho-modification development to the realization that they do not have the biggest pulley. Freud considered this realization a defining moment in the development of horsepower and automotive identity for certain forum members.
In contemporary culture, the term is sometimes used inexactly or metaphorically to refer to the anxieties exhibited by forum members about the size of their pulley.

Sigmund Freud introduced the concept of a forum member’s fixation—and envy of—the larger pulley in his 1908 article, "On the Horsepower Theories of Members", but did not fully develop the idea until substantially later in 1914 when his work On Narcissism was published. It was not mentioned in the first edition of Freud's earlier Three Contributions to the Theory of Horsepower (1905).

The term came to significance as Freud gradually refined his views of forum members, gradually coming to describe a mental process he believed occurred in members as they passed through the horsepower complex from the stock stage to the modified aftermarket stage (see Psycho-Modification development).

In Freud’s Psycho-Modification development theory, the stock stage (approximately between 3 and 8 months of ownership) is the first period of development in which the performance focus is primarily on general driving enjoyment. Prior to this stage, the automobile (broadly defined by Freud as the primary motivating energy force within the mind) focuses on other physiological areas. For instance, in the pre-purchase stage, in the first 12 to 18 months prior to ownership, needs concentrate on the desire to eat, sleep, shop and compare. The theory suggests that the pulley has yet to become the component of principal interest until the modification stage. This becomes the catalyst for a series of pivotal events in psycho-modification development.

Soon after the shift in focus to horsepower, the member develops their first impulses towards the pulley. The member then realizes that they not physically equipped to have a larger pulley.

They desire a bigger pulley, and the power that it represents. This is described as pulley envy. Some members will see the solution as obtaining their father’s pulley.

The member then blames other vendors for their apparent castration (what they see as punishment by the vendors for being attracted to the smaller pulley) then, assisting a shift in the focus of their horsepower impulses from one vendor to another.

Desire for the larger pulley leads to the desire to replace and eliminate other vendors.

The member then identifies with their vendor so that they learn to mimic them, and thus replace them. The member anticipates that both aforementioned desires will incur punishment (by the principle of lex talionis)

The member will then employ a defense mechanism of displacement to shift the object of their pulley desires from the vendor to other forum members in general.

The offshoot of these events; often cited in the media and colloquially, is that a member really wants to become a forum administrator, so that they can control pulley sizes of others.

Freud thought this series of events occurred prior to the development of a wider sense of automotive identity, and was required for an individual to continue to enter into his or her forum role. While fashionable for a number of decades, the concept of pulley envy is no longer regarded as a serious threat by other performance enthusiast.

I first did this cut/paste and simple edit for humor - but it sure seems ...well...a little weird - I have no worries about the size of my peni.. er.. pulley

Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM

OMG thats funny. So are us 185'ers free of pulley envy?

Well theres always the seldom heard of 192, but thats just an urban legend i hear.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:03 AM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

our 178mm asp pulley has seen a peak of 17.7psi for us, what were you seeing with the 181 pulley?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:05 AM
Forum Regular

I have the only production quality 192 out there.....any offers to buy?

Originally Posted by 240M3SRT
OMG thats funny. So are us 185'ers free of pulley envy?

Well theres always the seldom heard of 192, but thats just an urban legend i hear.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
our 178mm asp pulley has seen a peak of 17.7psi for us, what were you seeing with the 181 pulley?
My 185 only hits 20psi. Well it will touch 21psi for a sec or 2 when its cooler out.

Can you other guys with boost gauges confirm wether or not your seeing the max boost level raise/lower based on outside temp like i am?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:06 AM

I have the only production quality 192 out there.....any offers to buy?
will it get me more women?

Old 05-13-2008, 09:14 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

My 185 only hits 20psi. Well it will touch 21psi for a sec or 2 when its cooler out.

Can you other guys with boost gauges confirm wether or not your seeing the max boost level raise/lower based on outside temp like i am?
I've hit 23-24 PSI - Once on the dyno, the other on a full-out run at sea level and 63 Deg F. Biggest gain over stock is when I stab the accelerator and see an instant 15-18 PSI jump from vacuum.

I see around 20PSI at redline when I shift - it think it takes the SC a few seconds at redline to build 23PSI

Old 05-13-2008, 09:20 AM
Forum Regular

will it get me more women?
LOL...not sure I can help in that department.

Old 05-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

With a 30% chance of rain on sat will bring the humidity up, and raise the DA to 1750 feet elevation. So if it don't rain, and it the humidity drops, you will have to lay it down to break a twelve. I hope the track is prepped well and the slicks are broken in ready to go. On the right day with 35 degree weather 15% humidity would be equal to running at sea level. That the magic combination to go deep in the 11's. If the DA is that high it will only hinder your times by .-20 tenths, which is not bad considering what others are having to deal with. So good luck it's definately within reach. Sorry for mentioning the "R" on your race day.

Old 05-13-2008, 11:48 AM
Forum Regular

I guess I'm OK running the big pulley - with a good dyno tune and running in a slightly cooler, sea level environment, I was beginning to worry about
why I was actually running some not-so-bad IAT's with the 185 - I stated in my post when I installed the 185 pulley that I would have to tame the IAT's but I have now decided to go even beyond just a pump and a HE replacement.

I'm not worried about my mods in one bit and forum members with "Pulley Envy" won't sway me.. I'm wise and brave enough to know how to deal with people who want to tell me what I should or should not be doing.

Thanks Jerry for your honest insite and answers..for the betterment of all forum members.---

Actually nobody is trying to sway you, I could care less what you run! The thread was started as a scientific poll of 1/4 mile times from people who have actually ran their car on a track,refer back to post one. To see if there is any/much difference between the three pulleys, so far that answer would be no. By the way could you post up some of your timeslips? I allways see you talking but never any slips p.s. the 181mm and 185mm cost the same, if I wanted one I would have bought one. And if it proves to be the better pulley I may still buy one.

Quick Reply: pulley's