Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

185mm Pulley Install

Old 02-07-2008, 07:13 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 185mm Pulley Install

After sitting in the box last week, I finally had some time this week to install the 185mm pulley set I ordered from LET. They were screaming at me and I finally heeded their call.

I made the mistake of not reading through the install instructions because if I had, I would have noticed the idler pulley bushing was missing from the shipment. It turned out I didn't notice until I was doing the install but Erick at LET send me one express overnight so the install was over two evenings with me finishing up last night.

The install was simple - the difference being that the LET pulley is a two piece pulley and you bolt the hub onto the crank first and then mount the ring with 6 10-32 Allen bolts. I used a 1/2 breaker bar (and half a floor-jack handle for added leverage) with a buddy under the car pinning the flywheel. Busted right off and the new hub bolted right on - took about 10min. The stock belt fit just as advertised.

Not much to the job but it to give you a comparison - I could fit the stock pulley inside the 185 LET pulley - It's pretty massive.

I test drove today after work but kept it real mellow. As you may know; Erick's C32 (with headers installed) had a fuel delivery issue @ WOT and I am the Guinea pig for this size pulley on the SRT and don't want to expose the engine to possible lean conditions.

All I can say is WOW! Those of you who installed the ASP pulley (& Steve with the RennTech setup) can understand. I have a boost gauge installed and to give an example - With the stock pulley I could punch the throttle when traveling at 65MPH and go from vacuum to around 5-8 LB of boost - this evening I was reading 10-12 LB's And thats just barely jumping on it. If all goes well - this will make my SRT one bad actor on the street. I gave the belt a close inspection when I got home and found no damage or frying due to possible miss-alignment etc. No belt squeal.

This Saturday I have an appointment with a tuner in LA (The infamous Jesse at Gintani MotorWorks/SpeedInnovation) who will put my SRT on the Dyno and also do some Data Logging and really give me a feel for where this engine is at. Once I know I will not have a lean issue, and I get this bad-boy tuned-up, I will let it RIP and post all the dyno results.

Until then lets hope the 185mm pulley will not produce a WOT problem -- and-- LET can get his supplier issues ironed out and get more of these 185's out there for you SRT folks.

I'm glad I got mine!! - larger HE and pump are on the very near horizon.....

Until Saturday.......

Last edited by BrianBrave; 02-07-2008 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 07:16 PM
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: 185mm Pulley Install

Keep us informed as I am VERY interested in seeing the gains on the 185 pulley.

Old 02-07-2008, 07:46 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice work! Can't wait to see the dyno Did you get a chance to see what each pulley weighs? Just wondering if the bigger pulley will put too much stress on the crank?

Last edited by SRTpowa; 02-07-2008 at 07:49 PM.
Old 02-07-2008, 08:21 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

brian,

If you experience lean conditions at high boost, it's possible to reduce or eliminate the problem with a distilled water injection system. Methanol also works but it's not cheap stuff.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:26 PM

Can't wait to hear what this thing is capable of.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:31 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by SRTpowa
Nice work! Can't wait to see the dyno Did you get a chance to see what each pulley weighs? Just wondering if the bigger pulley will put too much stress on the crank?
When the pulleys arrived I took them to the post office and weighed the crank pulley - and it was 7 LB 8oz. Close enough considering the accuracy of the self-serve kiosk.

I could go and weigh the stock pulley. LET website lists the Stock C32 pulley at 7LB 1.2oz

I also believe that the 185 Pulley will produce about 22-24 PSI of boost when the engines at 5500+RPM

Without a doubt it is a bit risky - but the reward......

Old 02-07-2008, 08:38 PM

All i can say is hell yes! Very interested in your tuning/dyno results. And thanks for being the first one to try it.

Old 02-07-2008, 08:59 PM

This is the thread I have been waiting for! Thank you, Brian, for taking the time to share your experience with us.

Old 02-07-2008, 09:48 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thats going to be one dangerous SRT!! can't wait to see dyno results.. are you planing the headers as well?

Old 02-07-2008, 09:59 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by Sidez
Thats going to be one dangerous SRT!! can't wait to see dyno results.. are you planing the headers as well?
I have yet to see a set of headers worth lifting the engine up and bolting on. - But If I do - I will not hesitate. I think I 've gone mad - if you build it (and build it right) I will buy. A bigger HE and the Johnson pump are next. Already got a set in my sights if LET can't get his fabbed. Would like to give Erick @ LET first shot. That's my 1st choice.

IAT's are going to be my demon and quick..

Old 02-07-2008, 10:02 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i hope to follow in your footsteps in the near future...

Old 02-08-2008, 05:12 AM

Originally Posted by BrianBrave
When the pulleys arrived I took them to the post office and weighed the crank pulley - and it was 7 LB 8oz. Close enough considering the accuracy of the self-serve kiosk.

I could go and weigh the stock pulley. LET website lists the Stock C32 pulley at 7LB 1.2oz

I also believe that the 185 Pulley will produce about 22-24 PSI of boost when the engines at 5500+RPM

Without a doubt it is a bit risky - but the reward......
Wow, 22 - 24 PSI. I was thinking I had read somewhere that the S/C clutch pulley would start slipping at 21 PSI. I hope it holds up for you. I know my RENNtech 178 pulley along with the ECU tune made a HUGE difference in the accelleration of my SRT6. Did the 185 pulley come with a harmonic balancer like the OEM?

Old 02-08-2008, 06:38 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
Wow, 22 - 24 PSI. I was thinking I had read somewhere that the S/C clutch pulley would start slipping at 21 PSI. I hope it holds up for you. I know my RENNtech 178 pulley along with the ECU tune made a HUGE difference in the accelleration of my SRT6. Did the 185 pulley come with a harmonic balancer like the OEM?
I Never heard of the clutch pulley slipping - AMGGrasoul had a 191mm pulley on his and never mentioned slipping, he just ran lean a WOT

The 185 comes with a harmonic balancer (fluid) - Very trick - totally differend design then plastic ring on the OEM

Old 02-08-2008, 09:53 AM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Something for my Christmas list ...

Thanks for sharing your install experience and 'seat of the pants' results.

Can't wait to hear what SI does with that monster.

Do you have any different intake components? SL55 Y pipe for example?

Cheers!

Old 02-08-2008, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord

Thanks for sharing your install experience and 'seat of the pants' results.

Cheers!
He has the full SL55 setup IIRC.

SQ

Old 02-08-2008, 03:06 PM
Forum Regular

Thanks for sharing Brian!!!! I too am looking forward to seeing the dyno run results!
Very AWESOME!!

What kind of boost guage are you running, PLX?

Cheers,
KrzyFast

Old 02-08-2008, 04:12 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord

Cheers!
Looking forward to my visit with Ginitani/SpeedInnovations myself - also hoping for the best.

I installed the complete SL55 Intake system, Y pipe, air boxes and intake tubes. I made a post on the forum sometime back.

Originally Posted by KrzyFast
What kind of boost guage are you running, PLX?
ProSport Green/White Electrical - works great but would have liked something with more of a stock look. For $56 I could have done worse.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:31 AM

Any update?

Old 02-10-2008, 08:08 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by SRTpowa
Any update?
Took the SRT to Gintani MotorWorks / SpeedInnovation on Saturday; almost rear ended on the way by four teenagers in Yoda with the driver on a cell phone. They got sideways, with smoking tires, but damn, but she held on to that phone. I thought for sure I was going to be demolished. Stop & go traffic in 87 deg heat so my car was steaming when I arrived.

Very nice, new shop with all new, just installed equipment – Dyno Dynamics, Milltronincs VM20 mill, lath etc. Lots of IC/HE parts being fabbed up for Mini Coopers. With all this new equipment came the hard sell. Push push push which was to say a little unpleasant. Three or Four MB owners showed up for ECU flashes at $600 a pop – no dyno runs. Gintani runs a successful business to say the least.

The bottom line is – our SRT’s are rock solid!! I was worried about running lean @ WOT with the 185 pulley – put on the Dyno, just off of stop-and-go freeway traffic – steaming hot – the first run pulled 282.2 HP with the A/F Ratio at 10.5 climbing to 10.8 at end of the run. WAY TO RICH – After several tunings, the best run was 317 HP with an A/F ratio of 12.5 and 21 PSI of boost. The average was around 308 – 309. So a conservative 20-25 hp gain from the tune. I might see a little more if my engine temps were cooler but they were hot from the start of the day until I got home last night.

I will pass on our injector part # to LET so they can upgrade and package for the MB C32. I don’t know why the difference but running lean was not the SRT’s problem with any pulley mod – just the opposite – running way to rich. We can run any pulley we want. Could this rich condition be why so many SRT owners (Still factory) aren’t seeing better gas mileage then they should?

The best news for me, with this pulley set up is has hot as my car was, and after damn near 25 Dyno runs in four hours, with IAT ‘s near max – the sensors never once tripped off the SC and I can rest my mind that I won’t run lean.

My observation on an ECU tune for our cars (SRT & Limited) - - I feel that there is a limited number of parameters that can be adjusted – if I had known that my SRT was not running lean when I installed the 185, I would have send my ECU to InMotion, Powerchip, or SI and just got flashed. Most quote around $500-$600 for the SRT6 with larger pulleys, could have saved the time and $$ for the Dyno runs.

Hopefully this information will light a fire under Erick @ LET and he’ll get these 185’s build and in your hands.

** EDIT **

By the way - My SRT Smokes - just freakin' lights up the tires - biggest improvement - 20MPH to 100 MPH - it just gets on it - throttle response and torque results are awesome.

Zero to 20 MPH needs work on my end to keep the tires from spinning so much.

Needless to say a pulley and intake are necessities.

I'm very happy and have the results that I was hoping for.

Now I MUST work on reducing the IAT’s - I'm sure I lost around 15-20 HP due to heat soak.

Last edited by BrianBrave; 02-10-2008 at 08:24 AM.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:50 AM

at first I was a little dissapointed with the numbers, then I saw they have a Dyno Dynamics They are the lowest reading dyno and most accurate from what I have heard. So you probally would pull closer to 350 on any other dyno Good to hear we have plenty of fuel capability as well. So you think INMotion could handle the tune for the 185 pulley? Any plans to test at the strip? Thanks for pioneering this setup and enjoy it !

Quick Reply: 185mm Pulley Install