Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

185mm Pulley Install

Old 02-10-2008, 09:07 AM
<--- Huge Horsepower
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: 185mm Pulley Install

Originally Posted by SRTpowa
at first I was a little dissapointed with the numbers, then I saw they have a Dyno Dynamics They are the lowest reading dyno and most accurate from what I have heard. So you probally would pull closer to 350 on any other dyno Good to hear we have plenty of fuel capability as well. So you think INMotion could handle the tune for the 185 pulley? Any plans to test at the strip? Thanks for pioneering this setup and enjoy it !
I may go out for a 1/4 mile run at California speedway - they have an open day usually once a month - but I understand that it's so crowded your lucky to get more then one run in.

Dyno number are interesting - I think heat soak got the best of me - but my numbers were close to Chi/Town who pulled 291HP / 12.5 AFR - on a Mustang dyno with a NW intake and ASP pulley. My first run was way down from running so damn rich. But that was actually a good problem to have.

It would be interesting to see what it would pull on a Dyno Jet - with a cool engine. But it's not important to me. No real plans to track my car (not seriously or competitively) no products to push or EGO to feed. Just as long as my SRT Sh*ts and gets I'm happy. And I like to share...

Old 02-10-2008, 11:11 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wow, I want to be happy, but this car puts down some horrifyingly dissapointing dyno numbers. I wonder if having a Needswings intake installed would have helped those numbers any. The better test is how it performes at the track. Now if it can put down 11's with this pulley then I'd consider it worth while.

Last edited by BlUEMDsrt6; 02-10-2008 at 05:08 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 11:19 AM

So by my calculations if I upgrade to a 250mm pulley I should expect a 5 hp gain, correct? LOL

Old 02-10-2008, 01:27 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
Wow, I want to be happy, but this car puts down some horrifyingly dissapointing dyno numbers. I wonder if having a Needswings intake intalled would have helped those numbers any. The better test is how it performes at the track. Now if it can put down 11's with this pulley then I'd consider it worth while.
He was on a dyno dynamics dyno. Check out this link for some info on it.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=95056

According to that multiply 1.18 x dyno dynamics numbers for a rough estimate of Dynojet numbers.

308x1.18= 363
That's pretty impressive to me.
I agree, track times would be a good indication of how much real world power he is putting down.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:58 PM

i cant wait to see track numbers if you can make it there! that will be the decision maker for me on the 185 or the asp.

Old 02-10-2008, 02:18 PM

I was gonna say...

Those where some terrible numbers until I read into it a little more. I'm still a little disappointed though, considering the NeedsWings by itself took it to 325ish on a Dyno Jet. I would still expect more than 360ish with that setup. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I would like to expect somewhere near 400WHP with that pulley, Intake, and tune...

Old 02-10-2008, 02:27 PM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
I was gonna say...

Those where some terrible numbers until I read into it a little more. I'm still a little disappointed though, considering the NeedsWings by itself took it to 325ish on a Dyno Jet. I would still expect more than 360ish with that setup. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I would like to expect somewhere near 400WHP with that pulley, Intake, and tune...
I agree I was thinking more like 400 too

Old 02-10-2008, 02:59 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
I was gonna say...

Say what ??-

Chi-Town laid down 291WHP with a NW intake and an ASP pulley - then ran 12.6 1/4 mile - I think that's smokin' boys...or do you also find that disappointing?

The 185 pulley is something like 6% more boost then the ASP Pulley - I don't think in yer best wet dream you could ask for another 104WHP out of 6% to get you 400WHP. Need more mods to get to those numbers IMO

If I recall Rob, dynoed his SRT at 300WHP bone stock - prior to putting on his intake -that's 8HP better then Chi-Town with Rob's intake and a pulley installed - go figure??....

If SRTPowa multiplier is correct - my best number (made only once) after getting a chance to cool - was 317WHP X 1.18 = 374WHP. If that's right - I'll take it and smile. (Now I just have to cool the IAT to keep it in that range)

Pony up $75 and I'll be glad to take my SRT to a local shop with a DynoJet if that's what you need - but since I'm not trying to sell you boys anything, I only ask for your $$ to cover the dyno pulls (I have a larger HE and coolant tank I need to order and install) - I'll make sure the SRT is nice and cool - no tricks, no ice packs, no O2 or NOX hoses snaking in the inlet tubes, no third gear pulls for a bitchin graph - just the raw numbers.

The important part is not my dyno numbers - I don't sell or endorse products and I'm not in any competition - I just like to share info - and the good news is - our SRT's have the injectors to deliver the fuel requirements for any mod. Headers, porting, larger TB, Cams, etc..

Good luck guys..

Old 02-10-2008, 03:15 PM

found a handy calculator for comparing dynojet/dyno dynamics and flywheel HP numbers
http://www.to4r.com/calcs/pwtq.php

Old 02-10-2008, 03:21 PM

BB,

Nice work my friend...those of us 'in the know' can differentiate between a dyno-jet and dyno dynamics dyno number.

The main purpose for that dyno, IMHO, was to make sure you were getting enough fuel - which you are. Success!

How do you feel about the Phantom Grip? Any future plans to install one?

Also - what method did you use to dyno it, just ease into the throttle until it got to 4th gear, and then roll into it ASAP without it kicking down?

My car is stock with K&N filters, and it made 283/289 on a Dyno jet. Using SRT-Powa's calculator, that is around 243 on a Dyno Dynamics. You put down 317, which is 74hp MORE than stock.

That is pretty significant...

SQ

Last edited by ShawnQ; 02-10-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 02-10-2008, 03:37 PM

Dyno numbers are all over the map; relativities on the same dyno are all that really matter. It was clearly doing more than 400hp at the crank on a hot engine and, as with any dyno less airflow than it would have on the street. With all the elctronics the SRT has I'm not sure how reliable any dyno would be as an absolute number. If you don't find any durability issues, it sounds like the 185 may be the way to go when my warranty expires.

Most mfr ECU tunes on boosted vehicles are set rich to limit detonation and presumably get less powertrain warranty claims. My EVO has the same issues with the factory tune. That's how they always magically can pull another 25hp out of the stock ECU settings after 5 minutes on the dyno. I know slight differences in the exhaust and cam are cited for the 20 or so hp difference between the SLK32 AMG and the SRT-6 but I really do suspect that Chrysler just chickened out on the waranty potential and tuned it richer to build in more safety margin. A more enlightened approach is to lean it out for most of the rev range and simply dump more fuel the last 800rpm.

Good luck with it and please post how she holds up!

Old 02-10-2008, 04:24 PM
<--- Huge Horsepower

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
BB,

Nice work my friend...those of us 'in the know' can differentiate between a dyno-jet and dyno dynamics dyno number.

The main purpose for that dyno, IMHO, was to make sure you were getting enough fuel - which you are. Success!

How do you feel about the Phantom Grip? Any future plans to install one?

Also - what method did you use to dyno it, just ease into the throttle until it got to 4th gear, and then roll into it ASAP without it kicking down?

My car is stock with K&N filters, and it made 283/289 on a Dyno jet. Using SRT-Powa's calculator, that is around 243 on a Dyno Dynamics. You put down 317, which is 74hp MORE than stock.

That is pretty significant...

SQ
Thanks Shawn -

Jessie would semi-ease the throttle to 4th and then jump on it - it did kicked down on him a few times.

I'm very happy with the results and would not be afraid to say if I wasn't - the other employees in the shop were pretty impressed but I figured it was just all part of the Dog and Pony show for the customer. It was that and the hard sell for more mods that dragged the afternoon out.

I had it out for run today and jumping on the pedal (now that I know I can without worry) is where I see the BIG difference, it pulls like a ****. No pulley clutch slipping or hickups.

I can now really appreciate Chi-Towns excitement when he installed the ASP pulley and Steve's with his Renntech pulley/tune setup. When they say the wheels spin like crazy when you launch - man they ain't kidding.

The Pulley/Intake/Tune is low hanging fruit for SRT owners to pick, low $$ per HP gain and easy mods to make your SRT just freakin' fly faster.

The HE/Pump mods will help to keep you there - I like what Steve is doing with the fans mod on his HE. With the remote set up he has - it will be way sweet...

As for the phantom Grip - maybe sometime down the road - I may change my mind and buy a trailer and start tracking the car - but later on.

This whole MOD thing can consume you if your not careful.

Old 02-10-2008, 07:43 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

BrianBrave,
Nice work. All that matters is that you take on the MB friends and give em all they can handle. Be sure to get DR's. Like you now know these cars are no fun with stock tires. You might as well be like the ZO6's and Vipers on the road. Don't worry once you run with them at the track, you will be hooked. I have a trailer and contemplated driving out there to CA to pay them a visit. They always drive out here because our track is friendly and fast. I'm still itching for a sea level track. Thanks for testing for all of us.
Cruzinquick

Old 02-10-2008, 10:57 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Those are excellent numbers my friend... you get rid of that nasty heat soak issue on your IATs and you will have a true monster on your hands.

Now I know the setup I'll get... gotta start my Christmas list... See-yah!

Old 02-11-2008, 10:45 AM

Great numbers, I agree with cruzinquik, get some DR's. I got mine mounted this past Saturday, it' will be a few month's before they get tested out. But I have no doubt they will stick better then street tire's. I've had traction issue's ever since I installed the RENNtech kit, nail it at any speed in 1st gear = instant smoke. You might even want to consider installing fans on your heat exchanger like I did to get your I/C temp's down, it's yet to be proven how well they are going to work since it's winter time here in Indiana. But I believe pulling 660 cfm through the heat exchanger is going to have a lot of effect on the I/C temp's, I still need to tap into the I/C pump relay to get the pump to run when the fans are turned on.
I hope to embarrass the hell out of some Vette's, Camaro's & Mustangs at the local 1/8th mile track this summer with a little 6 popper.

Old 02-11-2008, 11:58 AM

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I hope to embarrass the hell out of some Vette's, Camaro's & Mustangs at the local 1/8th mile track this summer with a little 6 popper.
You could've done that stock (for the most part!).

I'm anxious to see the results of your fans. With my wife going to school, I'll only be able to drool for the next two years. After that, I'll get my allowance back and I'll be able to mod the car. Hopefully there is a continuing amount of development until that point. It sure seems that the parts/ideas are starting to increase significantly since the cars have become more affordable.

SQ

Old 02-11-2008, 12:29 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
You could've done that stock (for the most part!).

I'm anxious to see the results of your fans. With my wife going to school, I'll only be able to drool for the next two years. After that, I'll get my allowance back and I'll be able to mod the car. Hopefully there is a continuing amount of development until that point. It sure seems that the parts/ideas are starting to increase significantly since the cars have become more affordable.

SQ
I still need to find a way to get the aftercooler pump to run any time the fans are on. But all the reading I'm doing it talks about pulse voltage. I was hoping that there was a relay I could tap into, but it looks like it's controlled by a whole control module or something like that . I need to find an expert on this matter .

Old 02-11-2008, 12:46 PM

This is great, but I have a question - I expected this car to be putting out 400 whp at 1.5 bar boost. Is the IHI supercharger not efficient at these boost pressures?

Old 02-11-2008, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by sonoronos
This is great, but I have a question - I expected this car to be putting out 400 whp at 1.5 bar boost.
You and everybody else.

Old 02-11-2008, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by BlUEMDsrt6
You and everybody else.
Put it on a dyno-jet and cool it off...you'll be close.

SQ

Quick Reply: 185mm Pulley Install