Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

SRT-6 Dipstick and Trans Fluid

Old 01-16-2008 | 11:41 AM
|
Forum Regular
Default SRT-6 Dipstick and Trans Fluid

Thought this might be useful

I had the Transmission leak fixed the other day and i noticed the Crossfire tech ,
unlocked the dipstick keeper and use a dip stick to check the fluid level......
the Tech gave me the part number to the tool ( dipstick) miller 8863B

he used and the fulid part number also
P/N 5127382AA

also when done with checking fluid,
he had a retainer clip he locked the dipstick hole with .. i did not get that part #

http://www.etoolcart.com/index.asp?P...OD&ProdID=8872

http://www.miller.spx.com/

Dipstick 8863b miller tools
8863B Dipstick
Etoolcart Price Qty $69.07

Detailed Description Feartures:
This special dip stick must be used to ensure proper automatic transmissiom fluid levels in the Sprinter and Crossfire. Note: Consult your service manual for the proper fluid level checking procudures. .....

= = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = = =

Transmission fluid part # p/n 5127382AA

Old 01-16-2008 | 12:14 PM
Forum Regular
Default Re: SRT-6 Dipstick and Trans Fluid

You need the dipstick A DRB scantool, and the chart to compare it with, the dipstick alone is like 150, plus you also need access to dealer connect, chrysler tech website for their service info. deal with the fact that you are not allowed to check your trans fluid.
These are supposed to be life time fill trans, because people drain them, put the wrong fluid in them, they blow up, and the Chrysler makes a crappy trans.

Old 01-16-2008 | 12:57 PM

Originally Posted by Shawnkey
You need the dipstick A DRB scantool, and the chart to compare it with, the dipstick alone is like 150, plus you also need access to dealer connect, chrysler tech website for their service info. deal with the fact that you are not allowed to check your trans fluid.
These are supposed to be life time fill trans, because people drain them, put the wrong fluid in them, they blow up, and the Chrysler makes a crappy trans.
I've known about the process of checking trans fluid, and it's a pain in the *** and yes only a dealer can do it.

Chrysler does make crappy Front drive transmissions, but the last time I checked the 5-Speed Autos in rear drive aplications were Mercedes built, or at least based on Mercedes Transmissions. Obviously the ones in our cars are not Chrysler transmissions. The SRT transmission is the same basic transmission that the one in the McClaren SLR is "based" on, so yeah it must be a total piece of crap. That's why Mercedes has been using it since Moses wore short pants.

Old 01-16-2008 | 12:58 PM
|
Forum Regular

Hell Phucking Fire !

just some info the tech gave i didn't say i was going to try to
work on the damn thing .. ((i know it is a sealed unit))

ie .deal with the fact that you are not allowed to check your trans fluid

Old 01-16-2008 | 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by huudoo
Hell Phucking Fire !

just some info the tech gave i didn't say i was going to try to
work on the damn thing .. ((i know it is a sealed unit))

ie .deal with the fact that you are not allowed to check your trans fluid
That isn't new information to me. I was making the point that they made it needlessly difficult to do. It's the same way on all Rear Drive DCX cars that use the 5-Speed Auto ie: Charger, 300, Magnum, Dakota, Ram, Sprinter, Nitro, etc. It may even be that way with the new 6-Speed FWD Transmission as well. I worked in a Chrsyler Dodge Dealer for years and it's been that way since the Hemi Ram was brought out in 2003. I would have to double check, but it may have gone as far back as the first 4.7 V8 in Dakotas and Durangos...

Old 01-16-2008 | 02:44 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by huudoo
Thought this might be useful

I had the Transmission leak fixed the other day and i noticed the Crossfire tech ,
unlocked the dipstick keeper and use a dip stick to check the fluid level......
the Tech gave me the part number to the tool ( dipstick) miller 8863B

he used and the fulid part number also
P/N 5127382AA

also when done with checking fluid,
he had a retainer clip he locked the dipstick hole with .. i did not get that part #
Thanks for the info! I'm actually surprised that the tech was so "cooperative."

Old 01-16-2008 | 03:28 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
I've known about the process of checking trans fluid, and it's a pain in the *** and yes only a dealer can do it.

Chrysler does make crappy Front drive transmissions, but the last time I checked the 5-Speed Autos in rear drive aplications were Mercedes built, or at least based on Mercedes Transmissions. Obviously the ones in our cars are not Chrysler transmissions. The SRT transmission is the same basic transmission that the one in the McClaren SLR is "based" on, so yeah it must be a total piece of crap. That's why Mercedes has been using it since Moses wore short pants.
Chrysler tech Crossfire owner. I know. What I was saying was the fact that most people don't know the amount of mercedes in most DC products, and when something fails it's "stupid Chrysler," never "mercedes can't build a car to save their lifes." People just can't deal with the fact that Mercedes doesn't want you to touch their transmission. Thats all I was saying.

Old 01-16-2008 | 03:31 PM
Forum Regular

Merry X-mas...Now everybody go check your trans fluid
CHECK OIL LEVEL

1. Verify that the vehicle is parked on a level surface.
  2. Remove locking pin (1). Remove the plate of the locking pin with a suitable tool and press out the pin remaining in the cap downwards.
  3. Remove the cap (2) from the fill tube (3).
    WARNING: RISK OF ACCIDENT FROM VEHICLE STARTING OFF BY ITSELF WHEN ENGINE RUNNING. RISK OF INJURY FROM CONTUSIONS AND BURNS IF YOU INSERT YOUR HANDS INTO THE ENGINE WHEN IT IS STARTED OR WHEN IT IS RUNNING. SECURE VEHICLE TO PREVENT IT FROM MOVING OFF BY ITSELF. WEAR PROPERLY FASTENED AND CLOSE-FITTING WORK CLOTHES. DO NOT TOUCH HOT OR ROTATING PARTS.
  4. Actuate the parking brake. Start engine and let it run at idle speed in selector lever position “P”.
  5. Shift through the transmission modes several times with the vehicle stationary and the engine idling
  6. Warm up the transmission, wait at least 2 minutes and check the oil level with the engine running. Push the Special Tool 8863A (1) in up to the stop and pull out again, read off oil level, repeat if necessary.
  7. Check the transmission oil temperature. NOTE: The true transmission oil temperature can only be read by a scan tool in REVERSE or any forward gear position.
  8. The transmission Special Tool 8863A has indicator marks every 10mm. Determine the height of the oil level on the dipstick and using the height, the transmission temperature, and the Transmission Fluid Graph, determine if the transmission oil level is correct.
  9. Add or remove oil as necessary and recheck the oil level.
  10. Once the oil level is correct, install a new dipstick tube cap (2) and lock pin (1).

Old 01-16-2008 | 04:34 PM
Forum Regular

This should be a sticky!

Old 01-16-2008 | 05:43 PM

The only thing we need to do it now is a reliable way to get the Transmission temp. Any ideas? I think mine is low or something, the transmission just doesn't seem to be a "sharp" as it used to be even after an ECU and Throttle Reset. I haven't seen the "leak" yet, butmaybe I'm missing it...

BTW, this is all directly from the service manual which is available as a PDF download in the Documentation section of the forum.

Last edited by NeverEnough; 01-16-2008 at 06:12 PM.
Old 01-16-2008 | 06:06 PM

Thanks for the info everyone ! Doesn't look like one needs to be an ASE Master tech to check the fuid if they decide to do so. The service writer at my dealer offered me the dipstick P/N also, but we got side tracked and i didn't write it down .

Old 01-17-2008 | 08:44 AM
|
Forum Regular

thanks for the correct info Shawn and Never and other input from member's,

please accept mt Apology for my short temper,

sometime's i read through the real meaning ..

Old 01-17-2008 | 09:01 AM

I have no intention of changing my own trans fluid.....but if someone was determined to do so would it be an acceptable procedure to use the specified dipstick (or any dipstick long enough to reach) and note the fluid level first thing in the morning after the car has been sitting overnight. Drain the fluid and refill with new fluid, start the car and let it warm up, let it sit overnight and check again in the morning and adjust level as necessary. This eliminates the temperature in the equation because you are duplicating the original level of a correctly filled fluid transmission from the factory. Time consuming I know but a lot simpler than using a scan tool which none of us have. Just an idea.

Old 11-17-2010 | 07:52 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

http://cgi.ebay.ca/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?...fvi%3D1&_rdc=1

This is the correct tranny dipstick tool...... right????

Last edited by SparkieSRT6; 11-17-2010 at 08:25 PM.
Old 11-17-2010 | 08:28 PM

mercedes trans tool 20$ on ebay. infrared temp tool 14$ harbor freight. locking tab which is a 1 time use part 2$
dont make this any harder than it has to be. drained mine changed filter and fluid and didnt even go to chrysler tech school.

Old 11-17-2010 | 09:11 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
mercedes trans tool 20$ on ebay.

So this is the right one???

Old 11-17-2010 | 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by SparkieSRT6
So this is the right one???
the level is measured from the bottom of the pan so you can use a long tie wrap if you want. check out woodys version

Old 11-17-2010 | 09:19 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
the level is measured from the bottom of the pan so you can use a long tie wrap if you want. check out woodys version
Ok......I've read all those posts on the subject but I want to be a little more scientific so I thought for $20 might as well get the right tool and I can lend it to my other XF buddies.

SO IS THIS THE RIGHT ONE??

Old 11-17-2010 | 09:31 PM

The listing says for the 722.6 transmission, so....... Yes, it would be the correct one.

Old 11-17-2010 | 09:43 PM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq

Originally Posted by bmorgan
The listing says for the 722.6 transmission, so....... Yes, it would be the correct one.
I thought so too.... but I was hoping someone here may have already bought one and could confirm.
I'll hit the BIN button.

THANKS.

Quick Reply: SRT-6 Dipstick and Trans Fluid