Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6

Old 09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6

Originally Posted by velociabstract
If PA / Xfire opts out I could be convinced to join. Is this mod overkill on a stock engine or will I see performance benefits regardless? I would hate to kill the low end. Any educated guesses?

Les
we added it to our cai and asp pulley car, once manifolds added to that combo the tune was needed for more fuel. you may not need a tune without a pulley kit but we havent tested that combo. it should have plenty of all around power with or without a pulley.

Old 09-03-2008, 10:29 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
we added it to our cai and asp pulley car, once manifolds added to that combo the tune was needed for more fuel. you may not need a tune without a pulley kit but we havent tested that combo. it should have plenty of all around power with or without a pulley.
Once you get the ECU tuning dialed in with the intake, pulley and CAI, will you offer ECU programming ?

Old 09-04-2008, 12:37 AM

I have a question... this is not directly aimed at this mod though... I know the stock huffer is a roots type and as I have not seen one is it one of the straight paddle types? or helix paddles (twisted)... I am just kinda curious about that...

on a second more serious note, has anyone TURBOcharged one of the 3.2l engines?

If so, how did it work out? did they use small or large turbos? here is what I am thinking here... this comes from my aviation background... you can possibly use what is called "Compound Supercharging" where you compress air, then run the charge through an intercooler, then into another compressor, and into the engine... it looks like the crossfire uses a roots into an intercooler, and then into the engine that is standard
supercharging...

compound supercharging will be kinda costly in setup, but the results should be OMG!!! Use a fairly large turbo, no need to use a small one, (because you are already using a supercharger for low rpms) feed an intercooler to get rid of the heat of compression, then on to the main supercharger, and on to the other intercooler (which might be better as an air to liquid intercooler) to get rid of more heat of compression... then into the engine...

this is a system that was used way back in WWII so that bombers could keep the radials running tip top at 30K feet and I have yet to see it in use on the ground...

Seannon

Old 09-04-2008, 05:45 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by seannon
I have a question... this is not directly aimed at this mod though...
Holy Threadjacks Batman!

I suggest that you start a new thread asking your questions. You're much more likely to get meaningful replies that way.

Old 09-04-2008, 05:48 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by Cal_Cobra
Once you get the ECU tuning dialed in with the intake, pulley and CAI, will you offer ECU programming ?
I believe Rob told me that he works with InMotion for ECU tunes. So you can go through Rob or go direct with InMotion.

Old 09-04-2008, 06:16 AM

I have a question... this is not directly aimed at this mod though... I know the stock huffer is a roots type and as I have not seen one is it one of the straight paddle types? or helix paddles (twisted)... I am just kinda curious about that...

If so, how did it work out? did they use small or large turbos? here is what I am thinking here... this comes from my aviation background... you can possibly use what is called "Compound Supercharging" where you compress air, then run the charge through an intercooler, then into another compressor, and into the engine... it looks like the crossfire uses a roots into an intercooler, and then into the engine that is standard
supercharging...

compound supercharging will be kinda costly in setup, but the results should be OMG!!! Use a fairly large turbo, no need to use a small one, (because you are already using a supercharger for low rpms) feed an intercooler to get rid of the heat of compression, then on to the main supercharger, and on to the other intercooler (which might be better as an air to liquid intercooler) to get rid of more heat of compression... then into the engine...

this is a system that was used way back in WWII so that bombers could keep the radials running tip top at 30K feet and I have yet to see it in use on the ground...

Seannon
There have been several companies and individuals that have tried different turbo setups and even twin charged setups on this car and other amg cars. I think there are several on this forum even. I've never seen one that has been reliable, affordable, and available "off the shelf". Most of these projects are eventually abandoned after a year or more of frustration and a lot of money down the drain.

VRP is currently working on a couple of big projects for individual customers. On one they are adding two turbos to a V12 twin turbo engine, and the other they are twin charging. Both were claimed to put out close to 1000hp. I believe the 1st car is now 6 months past expected completion date, and they haven't even fired the engine yet. IMO these guys are some of the best tuners out there, so it will be interesting to see how these projects come out, but it gives you an idea how hard these projects are. Could you imagine being without your SL65 for 9 months?

LET is working on a twin turbo project for the 32 motor which they started in December of last year. They said in Feb that it would be done in a few weeks, and I still don't think they've had it on a dyno.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:35 AM

supercharging...

Seannon
This is the only forums where you wont get completely flamed for jacking someones thread that hardcore. And you can even get your question answered a few post later ROFL.

Interesting idea you have. You should try it and post the results on our forums, just like i do.

Old 09-04-2008, 07:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thats right if your for putting more power down to the wheels you fit right in. BTW the CL65 already comes with the bi turbos for 200k. The amazing thing is we are only a second off in the 1/4 mile on those beasts. With this mod you'll probably hang for a while with a stock one. If you ever get to see one. I am lucky that 2 come and race on private track days in the winter. 11.02 last time out for one with mods and drag radials.

240-- you have pm

Old 09-04-2008, 08:20 AM

supercharging...

Seannon
The supercharger in the SRT6 (and Mercedes SLK32/C32) is a Lysholm twin-screw type made by IHI, not a Roots type. A Lysholm supercharger internally compresses as it pumps unlike Roots supercharger, making it considerably more efficient. The tolerances required make the twin-screw supercharger much more expensive to produce, though.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twin-sc...e_supercharger

This phot will give you a good look at the rotors, one of which is Teflon coated.

Old 09-04-2008, 10:42 AM

I personally would LOVE to try to get a setup project for a system started, but there is one problem as has already been pointed out and I also kinda mentioned... "All it takes is cubic dollars" which I do not have... I was not threadjacking per se, I was just dropping the question on which type of huffer the crossfire has, which is the second type I mentioned... the helical... and dropping off an idea that while expensive to implement may be something that needswings, or one of the other high end modders can grasp and maybe take something from it... I am pretty dang happy with the '04 coupe we have now, and I do not foresee me being able to , nor wanting to really augment it in the near future... again, I think that the base of the post is remarkable in where it has gone, and as being new here, was just trying to spawn a little creative bubble that can be looked at and either accepted or rejected, or even partially used...

Seannon

Old 09-04-2008, 10:43 AM
Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

there was 63 Black at US 41 last week...what a car...exactly 1 second faster than my car...but wow what a car...now I may have my numbers off but it had like 700hp going for it..roll cage, kavlar wheels...I could go on and on...it wasn't hooking up even w/ sliks added...raw HP>..

Old 09-04-2008, 10:56 AM

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
there was 63 Black at US 41 last week...what a car...exactly 1 second faster than my car...but wow what a car...now I may have my numbers off but it had like 700hp going for it..roll cage, kavlar wheels...I could go on and on...it wasn't hooking up even w/ sliks added...raw HP>..
That's jrcart's car on mbworld. As the picture says: 502 whp & built by Evosport, but he runs a 100 shot, so I'm not sure if that hp is on the bottle or not. It's a sick car, and I hope to see it in person at the next midwest drag day. He's still waiting on a pulley and some other goodies, so it might be even meaner by Oct.

Old 09-04-2008, 01:36 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Can we get back on topic now?

Old 09-04-2008, 02:00 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Ok. Somebody assure me that this will not affect drivability for a daily driver. I live on an Island with 4 cars for every person and traffic is .. a constant. A way of life. I plan on a Code 3 pulley to go with my needswings intake but I need manors to go with my lust for thrust.

Les

Old 09-04-2008, 02:18 PM

The ecu in your car has more safety barriers than felix trinidad's trainers. (PR boxing joke). Once the computer feels the motor is threatened it pulls timing which reduces your hp, and keeps your motor from harms way. The only disadvantage you will have while daily driving will be heat. Not overheating but just loss of hp if your temps get hot (middle way, car never passes a needle over middle). Depends on your weather. Winter here I can race all day and car runs strong. Summer is very hot, less performance. Either way with all the mods you want to do, your every day driver will still be a beast even with a loss of hp. I would mirror needswings setup if you are modding because he has thousands of dollars testing it, just to be safe for everyone. It's still a modification from factory but there are alot of daily drivers on here. The MB guys have been modding since this motor came out in 03'?? So far no one on either board has hurt the motor. I don't drive mine daily so I'm not much help with every day experience. It is new territory for everyone that mods this motor. We all hope they last years and years like the MB guys.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:41 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Les, your "daily drivability" will suffer with all the mods you're talking. You figure about 35 hp for the pulley, about 25 for the intake, about 35 more for the plenums, and about 20 from an ECU tune. So you're talking about 115 more hp at the wheel. The car is rated at 350 hp at the crank, so with those mods you're talking approx. 490 hp at the crank.

That kind of change to the power of the car is definitely going to affect your driveability. It just depends on how much its going to bother you to be smoking tire at the drop of a hat. Since you're Puerto Rico, you don't have to worry about snow and ice. I'm betting you'd be fine. But it's a very subjective thing. I don't think anyone can guarantee you that you're going to like driving a ~500 hp car every. Personally, the idea sounds great to me.

Old 09-04-2008, 02:54 PM
Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

I'm waiting on the intake (2nd. group buy) and I'm close to buying the Code 3 pulley. What I don't want is a car that stalls in traffic, runs like crap at slow speeds. I drive the car hard every chance I get but the reality is most of the time I seem to be crawling towards my destination. I don't see the pulley or CAI affecting civility in traffic, but I have no clue what these new manifolds will mean in unavoidable slow speed situations. I guess no one does, except the good men at needswings.

Les

Old 09-04-2008, 03:08 PM

Originally Posted by velociabstract
Ok. Somebody assure me that this will not affect drivability for a daily driver. I live on an Island with 4 cars for every person and traffic is .. a constant. A way of life. I plan on a Code 3 pulley to go with my needswings intake but I need manors to go with my lust for thrust.

Les
drivability does not suffer, we have ~ 7000 miles daily driven on these so far. the only difference you will notice is you wont have to push the pedal down quite as far when normal driving. i wont sacrifice drivability for power, they have to compliment each other.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:41 PM

ok, just heard back, we will not be able to put srt6 or srt-6 or anything that could fall into the "confusingly similar" category due to trademarks

any other ideas? maybe 3.2L DOHC Supercharged or something similar that we wont get sued for.

Old 09-04-2008, 08:53 PM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
ok, just heard back, we will not be able to put srt6 or srt-6 or anything that could fall into the "confusingly similar" category due to trademarks

any other ideas? maybe 3.2L DOHC Supercharged or something similar that we wont get sued for.
It's a high end performance part, I think it needs to have the NeedsWings Logo and call it a day. That or SUPERCHARGED.

Quick Reply: Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6