Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6

Old 08-20-2008, 01:18 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6

What did the stock manifolds flow?

Old 08-20-2008, 02:35 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)

This manifold looks like an awesome upgrade....man you guys really suck!!!....as in sucking the extra $$$ out of my wallet

Only issue I see with this is if you had to bring the car in for warranty work the dealer might have a heart attach when they saw this, definitely has a homebrew racer look to it (which I like, just not sure what DC joe mechanic would think about it).

Last edited by Cal_Cobra; 08-20-2008 at 03:24 PM.
Old 08-21-2008, 09:05 AM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Cal_Cobra
This manifold looks like an awesome upgrade....man you guys really suck!!!....as in sucking the extra $$$ out of my wallet

Only issue I see with this is if you had to bring the car in for warranty work the dealer might have a heart attach when they saw this, definitely has a homebrew racer look to it (which I like, just not sure what DC joe mechanic would think about it).
I think Rob said that the final product will be finished much like the original. The one pictured above is his protoype. The finished product will have whatever you want written on the top, along with the NeedsWings logo. So it shouldn't be that obvious to the mechanic. Of course, if the mechanic regularly sees SRT-6's in his shop, he'll notice the difference. But I'm betting they don't see too many of them, since there's only 3,000 of them in the whole world!

Old 08-21-2008, 09:45 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by tom2112
I think Rob said that the final product will be finished much like the original.
I don't think he is going to have them cast as the OEM units. They will more than likely be welded aluminum as shown. Rob, care you leak a little info as to the finished product's finish?

But I'm betting they don't see too many of them, since there's only 3,000 of them in the whole world!
Yea, no kidding!

Old 08-21-2008, 12:44 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Brentwood, CA (no not the OJ Simpson Brentwood, the real city of Brentwood in NorCal)

I think we're about due for an update

What do you guys think one of these intakes along with the 6mm spacers, a Code3 SC pulley, Needwings CAI, and an ECU custom tune should be worth in HP to the rear wheels ?

I know just the SC pulley and the Needwings CAI is good for around 400hp at the crank, but breaking 400hp at the wheels is a larger challenge, but with innovations like this intake coming up, maybe it's closer then we think ?

Old 08-21-2008, 02:04 PM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

they will most likely be teflon coated aluminum with a tint to them, were trying the gunmetal color we used on the y pipes on this latest pair, were also having a set of valve colors done in the same color so it shoudl be pretty under the hood. we are decking the mating surface tonight so we should have some pretty pictures. im hoping to get the new manifolds on the flow machine this weekend

Old 08-21-2008, 02:12 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Under promise and over deliver (in reference to time line). Keep up the good work.

Old 08-22-2008, 11:06 AM

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
they will most likely be teflon coated aluminum with a tint to them, were trying the gunmetal color we used on the y pipes on this latest pair, were also having a set of valve colors done in the same color so it shoudl be pretty under the hood. we are decking the mating surface tonight so we should have some pretty pictures. im hoping to get the new manifolds on the flow machine this weekend
'

Rob can you give us a price "estimate" so I can start eatting Ramen Noodles now ....

Old 08-22-2008, 11:10 AM
ADDICTED TO BOOST

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
'

Rob can you give us a price "estimate" so I can start eatting Ramen Noodles now ....
Maybe he will trade you for some pods and gauges

Old 08-22-2008, 12:19 PM

How about trying to match the ribs in the center section. Wish I had an SRT!
Do you run those machines? I manage and run Wire EDM's

Old 08-26-2008, 06:45 PM

what is the thickest phenolic spacers made? so we can get bolts long enough for you guys

Old 08-26-2008, 06:46 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

6mm is the thickest I have seen. Code3.

MikeR

Old 08-26-2008, 07:11 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
6mm is the thickest I have seen. Code3.

MikeR
Agreed.

Rob, you might want to make sure the alignment is proper where the couplers meet the runners when using the thick Code 3 spacers. Even the thinner LET phenolic spacers throw off the alignment of the stock manifold runners about 1/4".

Old 08-26-2008, 08:37 PM

i agree, when adding spacers you throw all the alignment off, our mani's will be the same alignment as stock with 1/8" gap for expansion. im not goign to make them specifically designed for added spacers so it will be the same scenario as stock manifolds as far as alignment. i will however make sure the bolts are long enough if you decide to add spacers, but we cant gaurantee anything when mixing brands other then oem

i guess if someone really wanted to use the spacers they could ship us their spacers and we could make the tubing customized to them.

im hoping to have pics and before teflon cfm flow numbers for you guys tomorrow night. we finished up the hard part today so we are home free on the mani's.

as far as sealing, i have my suspicions that the phenolic spacers will not come any where near sealing at 30psi (what we pressure test our mani's to) with the stock gaskets, i even doubt they are sealed at 15psi. if anyone has a set laying around let me knwo if your willing to send them here so we can pressure test them, ill keep the manfacturer name on the mute, im just extremely pessimistic to them sealing with stock gaskets.

btw, our mani's will come with our own gaskets as the stock gaskets will not come close to sealing at 30psi, it barely seals at 14, 16 and bubbles everywhere

Last edited by NeedsWings; 01-22-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
as far as sealing, i have my suspicions that the phenolic spacers will not come any where near sealing at 30psi (what we pressure test our mani's to) with the stock gaskets, i even doubt they are sealed at 15psi. if anyone has a set laying around let me knwo if your willing to send them here so we can pressure test them, ill keep the manfacturer name on the mute, im just extremely pessimistic to them sealing with stock gaskets.

btw, our mani's will come with our own gaskets as the stock gaskets will not come close to sealing at 30psi, it barely seals at 20, 22 and bubbles everywhere
Gotta hand it to you Rob, never over looking the little things.

Old 08-27-2008, 09:28 PM

here they are before the teflon (which will also color the manifolds like powdercoating), ill need to see what the teflon coating is going to run us and ill have the pricing. i think we can have a dozen sets of them done w/in a month (in time for you guys to have them installed before the drag day in maryland)

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
0827081952ab.jpg (39.5 KB, 170 views)
Old 08-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Me want...

Old 08-27-2008, 11:47 PM

I think Wesley Snipes says it the best, "Oh so pretty".

Old 08-28-2008, 05:59 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Rob, let me know where to send them, and I'll send you a set of spacers. I get them back right? You can just slip a set of plenums in the box with them when you send them back.

I plan to use the Code3 6mm ones. Though, I'm not sure what the big deal is (other than longer bolts). If you can put the stock plenums on with the spacers, then your plenums should be fine too.

Old 08-28-2008, 06:07 AM

Rob, let me know where to send them, and I'll send you a set of spacers. I get them back right? You can just slip a set of plenums in the box with them when you send them back.

I plan to use the Code3 6mm ones. Though, I'm not sure what the big deal is (other than longer bolts). If you can put the stock plenums on with the spacers, then your plenums should be fine too.
ryan is sending in a thinner one to test. if you have one of the thicker ones id like to test just 1 of them, pm me your email address and ill send over a fedex label. ill need it for ~ 5 minutes and then back out thru fedex to you

Quick Reply: Aluminum Intake Manifolds for srt6