Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

NeedsWings Intake Review Part 3...

Old 11-09-2007, 03:36 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: NeedsWings Intake Review Part 3...

I have a question about NEEDSWINGS intake pipe for you guy's that have done the install. Where the pipe goes through the radiator support, does it reduce down in size to go through it? I was looking at my car last night and could see no way a 3" pipe could go through there without a major modification.

Old 11-09-2007, 05:40 AM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Steve Hellums
I have a question about NEEDSWINGS intake pipe for you guy's that have done the install. Where the pipe goes through the radiator support, does it reduce down in size to go through it? I was looking at my car last night and could see no way a 3" pipe could go through there without a major modification.
That part of the intake is made of rubber so it is bendable and just squeezes in.

Old 11-09-2007, 09:21 AM

If you look on either side of the radiator where the factory inlet hoes connect to the Radiator suppout, there is a large plastic Bracket/Air Valve/Inlet. This entire section is removed in order to run the 3" hose through. It's pretty easy and there is not restriction.

Old 11-09-2007, 03:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Steve, you should really get this! Once that bracket is removed the rubber hose finds its way through. The fact that you are cramming even more air into the engine because of your pulley set makes the OEM system even more of a restriction. You really need to let that huffer breath.

Old 11-09-2007, 07:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I was planning to keep my SRT6 stock but I'm starting to waver after reading this thread. Decisions, decisions..... a Need Wings intake, electric RC helicopter, or make the mortgage payment. It's just no fun being a perpetually broke member of the middle class (as I like to consider myself - beats being called poor).

Old 11-13-2007, 03:11 AM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
If you look on either side of the radiator where the factory inlet hoes connect to the Radiator suppout, there is a large plastic Bracket/Air Valve/Inlet. This entire section is removed in order to run the 3" hose through. It's pretty easy and there is not restriction.
I've already ordered an SL55 "Y" and the two rear hose's. I'm going to go that route for more air, no offence to NEEDSWINGS pipe, but I think it is just butt ugly. By looking at the radiator support I would have never believed you could get a 3" hose through there, even removing the item's yor are speaking of .I can probably get just about as much air to my supercharger by going with the SL55 "Y" and do some mods going through the radiator support. I like the OEM look and who knows, I may end up getting more air with 2 - 2" or 3" intake hose's instead of 1 - 3" hose.

Old 11-13-2007, 06:55 AM

I've already ordered an SL55 "Y" and the two rear hose's. I'm going to go that route for more air, no offence to NEEDSWINGS pipe, but I think it is just butt ugly. By looking at the radiator support I would have never believed you could get a 3" hose through there, even removing the item's yor are speaking of .I can probably get just about as much air to my supercharger by going with the SL55 "Y" and do some mods going through the radiator support. I like the OEM look and who knows, I may end up getting more air with 2 - 2" or 3" intake hose's instead of 1 - 3" hose.
Have you seen the recent post about the SL55 setup actually losing power? I think it actually took about 10 HP away. As far as the looks of the NeedsWings intake, to each is own. However, keep in mind that the pictures you've seen so far are not finished products. They haven't been powercoated or prettied up yet.

Old 11-13-2007, 07:42 AM

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
Have you seen the recent post about the SL55 setup actually losing power? I think it actually took about 10 HP away. As far as the looks of the NeedsWings intake, to each is own. However, keep in mind that the pictures you've seen so far are not finished products. They haven't been powercoated or prettied up yet.
Yeah, I didn't see Shawn's post till this morning when I got to work. My computer at home has been down for a week, my daughter managed to down load a viris and my wife has been trying to get rid of it. He used the 3.2 OEM hose's with some coupler's that could be causing some problems. Before I jumped into buying the SL55 "Y" & hose assy., I called Renntech to ask them about doing this SL55 swap. They told me that a stock SRT-6 would probably see no gain's, but with my ECU tune and pulley I could possibly see 5 to 15 HP. They aren't trying to sell me anything, so I see no reason for them to say I could get these gains by doing this swap. Who know's, I may even gut out my air boxes & go 3" all the way through the radiator support and put cone filters on both side's. I just want to keep the OEM look of the engine.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:29 AM

Let me know how it turns out. I feel you on keeping it looking stock.

Old 11-13-2007, 09:59 AM

Sounds interesting Steve...

Is there a way to dyno this car at WOT through the hole gear? If so, I honestly feel like there is low end improvement over stock for the SL55 intake.

I put it on again yesterday just for grins (it takes 5 mins or less). It definitely makes a difference down low with throttle response. I just wish I could see this on a graph.

SQ

Old 11-13-2007, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Sounds interesting Steve...

Is there a way to dyno this car at WOT through the hole gear? If so, I honestly feel like there is low end improvement over stock for the SL55 intake.

I put it on again yesterday just for grins (it takes 5 mins or less). It definitely makes a difference down low with throttle response. I just wish I could see this on a graph.

SQ
Do you have a friend close by that has a G-TECH meter? That would be a fairly good way to see if there is really any difference. I have a G-Tech RR, but Texas is quite a drive from Indiana . Before I do my swap I'll go out and do a few runs on the G-Tech to see where I'm at. Then hopefully the weather will be the same after I do the swap and we'll see what kind of changes I get. The G-Tech is a handy little gadget to see if you are helping or hurting as long as the weather is the same and you do your test on the same road. One of the graph's lets you move the curser to see what RPM you shifted at & how far it dropped to the next gear.

Old 11-13-2007, 11:49 AM

Do you have a friend close by that has a G-TECH meter? That would be a fairly good way to see if there is really any difference. I have a G-Tech RR, but Texas is quite a drive from Indiana . Before I do my swap I'll go out and do a few runs on the G-Tech to see where I'm at. Then hopefully the weather will be the same after I do the swap and we'll see what kind of changes I get. The G-Tech is a handy little gadget to see if you are helping or hurting as long as the weather is the same and you do your test on the same road. One of the graph's lets you move the curser to see what RPM you shifted at & how far it dropped to the next gear.
I don't have a GTech or a friend that has one...but it is on my Christmas list

SQ

Old 11-13-2007, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
I don't have a GTech or a friend that has one...but it is on my Christmas list

SQ
You can also do a rear wheel HP on a G-Tech, but it would be tough to do with an automatic. I've not tried it yet, I'd have to read the instructions again. It will give you your rear wheel HP on the full 1/4 run, but the #'s are very disappointing, on a full run from start to finish I think I was at 265 RWHP. But keep in mind it was recording the full time witch include's the drop in shifting.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:25 PM

I also purchased Rob's NeedsWings intake system this week and put it on my SRT this evening. First of all, before I even talk about the car's performance, I'd like to commend Rob on his. I ordered this system Monday around noon after reading everything else other customers had to say about it.
We had a back and forth email conversation and he told me that it would be shipped the next morning and sent me the tracking numbers. Sure enough, I logged into FedEx the next day and it was on its way to Atlanta. Literally three days after I ordered the intake I had it on my car and I still can't wipe the smile off my face.
So I'm opening the package and I'm going through all the pieces like a giddy little kid. Install wasn't a problem at all. Took about an hour and a half. I had a buddy alongside to help out/drink all my beer. haha. Like mentioned before, this tubing, filter, and fittings are great quality stuff. I think the system looks absolutely SICK in the engine bay and I couldn't be happier with Rob's professionalism and his company's attention to detail.
It's just ridiculous how much this system wakes up the car. The little whistle you get when you first punch the gas makes me smile every time. I'm already shopping for new rear tires (anyone who has this product knows why) since I can just hammer the gas at 20-25 mph and break the tires loose. Stupid. Awesome. So much freaking fun. Oh, and I can hear that supercharger so well now. Couldn't be happier.
Anyone who is looking around these forums and wondering what relatively inexpensive, simple to install, and high quality upgrade they can do needs not look any further. Call or email Rob. Seriously.

Old 11-15-2007, 06:34 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SRT_Flyboy
I also purchased Rob's NeedsWings intake system this week and put it on my SRT this evening. First of all, before I even talk about the car's performance, I'd like to commend Rob on his. I ordered this system Monday around noon after reading everything else other customers had to say about it.
We had a back and forth email conversation and he told me that it would be shipped the next morning and sent me the tracking numbers. Sure enough, I logged into FedEx the next day and it was on its way to Atlanta. Literally three days after I ordered the intake I had it on my car and I still can't wipe the smile off my face.
So I'm opening the package and I'm going through all the pieces like a giddy little kid. Install wasn't a problem at all. Took about an hour and a half. I had a buddy alongside to help out/drink all my beer. haha. Like mentioned before, this tubing, filter, and fittings are great quality stuff. I think the system looks absolutely SICK in the engine bay and I couldn't be happier with Rob's professionalism and his company's attention to detail.
It's just ridiculous how much this system wakes up the car. The little whistle you get when you first punch the gas makes me smile every time. I'm already shopping for new rear tires (anyone who has this product knows why) since I can just hammer the gas at 20-25 mph and break the tires loose. Stupid. Awesome. So much freaking fun. Oh, and I can hear that supercharger so well now. Couldn't be happier.
Anyone who is looking around these forums and wondering what relatively inexpensive, simple to install, and high quality upgrade they can do needs not look any further. Call or email Rob. Seriously.
Rob is a very easy guy to deal with. It's awesome to hear everyone basically raving over his product...all i can say is wait until some of you install the pulleys on the car...your gonna be shitting your pants with excitement and robs intake only adds to the power!

Old 11-15-2007, 06:35 PM
Forum Regular

mine showed up at the house today too

Old 11-15-2007, 07:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hawk if I put you and the lady up for the night will ya help kill some beers and install on mine?

Old 11-17-2007, 06:22 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by RIOT
Hawk if I put you and the lady up for the night will ya help kill some beers and install on mine?
If we can find a weekend that works no problem.I dont get alot of time off from work

Old 02-20-2008, 02:02 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

i am doing this install atm, but one spot is giving me some trouble.. how do you remove the horn wires.. its not mentioned in the instalation guide.. and I dont want to break anything.. just simply pulling on them appears to be rather tight? am i missing something?

and the radioator pass through push.. in screw in the side is *****.. tempts to me just break the thing...

Last edited by Sidez; 02-20-2008 at 02:32 AM.
Old 02-20-2008, 06:00 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

horn wires do just pull off and push back on once you put the new bracket on. The pass through is a pain, but patience will pay off if you ever put it back to factory. It's the clip type that you lift the middle of it, and the bottom then will release. I think I used a screw driver to lift the middle, and then lifted the bottom of the clip enough to get it loose.

Quick Reply: NeedsWings Intake Review Part 3...