Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

"Needswings" Intake review...

Old 10-29-2007, 06:56 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: "Needswings" Intake review...

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Great pics neverenough!

Now who is going to be the first one to take a stock airbox and 'modify' it to fit over top of the needswings intake, so that the engine cover doesn't look like half of it is missing?

How 'solid' is the mounting? It looks like a few bumps may cause it to slip out of the flexible areas unless the ends are flared to rolled.

SQ
If it's installed correctly, I can't see how it could slip apart. The main aluminum Pipe slides into each coupler about 1-1.5 inches and there is no room for it to move around at all. I would be SHOCKED if it didn't stay together. All the fittings are tight to the point of needing a lubricant to get them to go together( I almost thought the couplers were too small at first). She ain't going anywhere, I can promise you that.

Old 10-29-2007, 07:04 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
If it's installed correctly, I can't see how it could slip apart. The main aluminum Pipe slides into each coupler about 1-1.5 inches and there is no room for it to move around at all. I would be SHOCKED if it didn't stay together. All the fittings are tight to the point of needing a lubricant to get them to go together( I almost thought the couplers were too small at first). She ain't going anywhere, I can promise you that.
Good deal - I'm not doubting it, just thought I'd ask. Some of the intakes that are held JUST by couplers are fairly 'loose'.

Glad to hear this one is not.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that 70% of the power is gained by removing that restrictive original piece that flows into the blower at the very back of the engine...that thing just LOOKS like it would block the flow.

SQ

Old 10-29-2007, 09:44 AM

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
Good deal - I'm not doubting it, just thought I'd ask. Some of the intakes that are held JUST by couplers are fairly 'loose'.

Glad to hear this one is not.

Also, I'd be willing to bet that 70% of the power is gained by removing that restrictive original piece that flows into the blower at the very back of the engine...that thing just LOOKS like it would block the flow.

SQ
The restrictions start WAY before that. The two inlets on either side of the radiator where the intake hoses attach are tiny. Probably only 2" x 1", maybe smaller than that. The size of the hoses is HUGE compared to the opening feeding them. This thing was seriously starving for air. I guess they made it as small as possible to keep it quiet.

I'll take a picture of the inlet and post it tonight.

Old 10-29-2007, 10:47 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by NeverEnough
The restrictions start WAY before that. The two inlets on either side of the radiator where the intake hoses attach are tiny. Probably only 2" x 1", maybe smaller than that. The size of the hoses is HUGE compared to the opening feeding them. This thing was seriously starving for air. I guess they made it as small as possible to keep it quiet.

I'll take a picture of the inlet and post it tonight.
I haven't yet looked up front...but that doesn't surprise me.

I like the performance of the intake, definitely a great improvement for our cars.

SQ

Old 10-29-2007, 10:55 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how does it sound?

Old 10-29-2007, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by Sidez
how does it sound?
It's sounds really good. At Idle, Low RPMs and cruising speed you can't even tell it's there. That's a plus for me. if you have the windows down and you give it a little gas without engaging the SC, you get a small chirp/whistle with change in intake air velocity.

Now, if you have ever heard a Terminator ('03 - '04) Cobra,it sounds a lot like that. You can clearly hear the Super Charger whine when under load. You get a nice understated whine when giving it part throttle, just enough for those around you to know there is something to it. Now when you put you foot in it, she SCREAMS in a good way. If you can imagine what a Jet Engine, or Turbine sounds like when its first starting up, it sounds like that. I wish I had a way to record it for you. So, basically its nice and civilized when you need it to be and a BEAST when you want it to be.