Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Diy Heat Exchanger

Old 10-17-2007, 12:20 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Diy Heat Exchanger

Came across this on mbworld I want to do this to my SRT6 but am wondering what if any effect it would have?

I'm having Ron Davis make me a secondary front mount heat exchanger which I'll get in a few weeks. Meanwhile I decided to split the intercooler coolant circuit, add a reservoir, and wire the pump to turn on when in accessory mode. I kept my stock pump for now until the heat exchanger arrives, but will swap in a CM30 during that install.

No IAT logging done before and after splitting the circuit since I was going to do it anyway for the new HE. I plan to log temps with this setup and then after I install the HE.

Pics of course...

Here are the components for splitting the circuit. Reservoir, mounting bracket, hose clamps, 3/4" hose splice, and 3/4"-5/8" hose splice. I made the extension bracket and tapped it for mounting.

Cut the Oetiker ring style clamps off existing line and remove stock tee. Reconnect hose using 3/4" splice and install new clamps. Install the reducing splice into the intercooler circuit.

Run a 5/8" inch heater hose to the reservoir.

Here's the wire I grabbed for switched power to act as the trigger on the relay I installed for always on pump operations. It was a pain in the butt to find but that wire goes to a relay stuffed in the corner of the fuse box. There might be other options but this worked well for me.

Old 10-17-2007, 12:21 AM
Default Re: Diy Heat Exchanger

Tighten the mounting bolt on the reservoir. I put a thin rubber washer under the fender washer to help protect the surface and painted the stainless washer black to blend in better. Add coolant, run the pump, and take for a drive to test.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
icsplit4.jpg (98.1 KB, 20 views)
Old 10-17-2007, 08:24 AM
Forum Regular

Looks cool. Where abouts are you located? Reason I'm asking is the photo showing the tank appears to be a right hand drive since the anti-lock brake systems is on that side. Just curious.

Old 10-17-2007, 10:06 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Subscribed. Def. something i would like to do if it proves to be worthwhile.

Old 10-17-2007, 11:31 AM

Originally Posted by msheredy
Looks cool. Where abouts are you located? Reason I'm asking is the photo showing the tank appears to be a right hand drive since the anti-lock brake systems is on that side. Just curious.
IT isn't my car it is something someone did on mbworld I am worried about the pressure built up in the system and it would be almost impossible to bleed great idea and it would be great to pack with ice at the track...

Old 10-17-2007, 02:57 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonnyangel04
IT isn't my car it is something someone did on mbworld I am worried about the pressure built up in the system and it would be almost impossible to bleed great idea and it would be great to pack with ice at the track...
I was wondering why that car had a hood seal...

I had assumed it was yours, with an MB cover, until I saw the hood seal (then wondered if my car was missing a seal, lol).

SQ