Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

srt6 3" CAI sneak peak

Old 10-04-2007, 09:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: srt6 3" CAI sneak peak

Originally Posted by matadorCE
What are your expected power gains?

I'll be a great product if it frees up a lot restrictions in the stock intake path. Any benefits from the "cold" air being pulled in will be negated the instant the air gets compressed in the supercharger, but i'm sure most people are aware of that.

Is the K&N filter that you'll be using an oiled or dry filter?
The cooler the air when it enters the supercharger, the better...I would think.

SQ

Old 10-04-2007, 09:38 AM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NeedsWings
...check engine light...
no cel's, had a version of this on the car for ~ 3 months now, the air sensor on the srt6's are after the tb/sc/ic and do not come into play with this intake.
Correct. SRT's use a MAP sensor whereas the base/limited use a MAF sensor.

mileage...
i believe the gas mileage went up also but ill have to do more testing before i claim that. how would you guys like the test done? i can make the expressway loop with the cruise control on one night at 4 am once with the factory intake and then with the new intake while filling up the gas tank between runs. i dont have mythbusters gas usage computers so speak up on how you want this conducted since i don't want to make a hour trip twice for nothing not to mention the mileage on the car.
I really don't need to see if mileage will increase, I'm sure that when you are just cruising on the highway there would be an increase.

finish...
please let me know if i should have the batch polished, powdercoated, anodized, ect.. and what color you would prefer (i'd like to stay away from black due to heat soaking the aluminum pipe). we were a little dark on the one in the pics above for matching the silver on the windshield border/exterior trim and engine cover but can dial that color in if thats what everyone wants.
I would like a plain silver powder coat, something that looks like raw aluminum. It doesn't need to match the existing silver trim.

pricing...
still to be determined by the cost of the finishing (powdercoating/polishing/ect) but i'm shooting for ~ $500, the first batch that go out will be sold at a discount on the condition that the customers do a write up on how they like/dislike them (i want a few reviews for our website on them).
Although I was hoping for the $375 - $450 range Neverenough has a slight point. What I mean by slight point is that Renntech is a internationally publicized tuner & their airbox is manufactured out of carbon fiber so they can charge a pretty penny. I'm by no means downplaying this system as I really want one myself. I was just trying to compare apples to apples and cold air intakes from K&N and AEM for example are in the $250 - $375 range. I realize that you are talking about mass quantity here but to me it looks like this system could be adapted to the base/limited crowd which could open up the market quite a bit.

I am really excited to see products like this come to fruition. Great job Rob!!!

Old 10-04-2007, 04:43 PM
Received 19 Likes on 11 Posts

Keep in mind if you don't upgrade your intercooler system (Air Charge Cooler) you will still heat up the cold air you are bringing in.

I would make sure to put some effort into adding a reservoir and larger intercooler in addition to the large CAI.

I do like the quality displayed here and the thought and engineering was very well executed.

I'll stick with the stock air boxes for now. When I get the Intercooler system upgraded... then I'll think about a larger and colder charge of air.

Cheers!

Old 10-04-2007, 07:56 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by MMZ_TimeLord
Keep in mind if you don't upgrade your intercooler system (Air Charge Cooler) you will still heat up the cold air you are bringing in.

I would make sure to put some effort into adding a reservoir and larger intercooler in addition to the large CAI.

I do like the quality displayed here and the thought and engineering was very well executed.

I'll stick with the stock air boxes for now. When I get the Intercooler system upgraded... then I'll think about a larger and colder charge of air.

Cheers!
The point of a Cold Air Intake is to get rid of the inefficient factory filter and its restrictive tubing. In return you get more, less restricted air from a cooler source (key word there is more).

Old 10-05-2007, 07:21 AM
Forum Regular

A point should be made that you are not getting any cooler air than the factory setup.

Old 10-05-2007, 08:30 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by SRT6_Roadster
A point should be made that you are not getting any cooler air than the factory setup.
That's an arguable topic. The filters in their factory location were constantly heated. Any cool air coming into the intake is then heated by the filters (acting as heating elements). Putting the filter outside of the engine bay (or placing a shield around it) isolates that problem. Filter outside sucks in cooler air, there are no longer any baffles to slow it down so the air getting to the supercharger technically should be cooler. How much? That's a good question.

Old 10-05-2007, 12:47 PM

When do you expect to get real dyno numbers on the possible horsepower increase? I'm very interested but for $500 + I would like to see proof of at least a few more ponies.

Old 10-05-2007, 01:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I agree, but considering my previous experience with Rob's products, I'm going to buy one regardless. The price is almost worth it to me just to actually hear the Supercharger.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:53 PM

Ahh, the beloved supercharger whine. Have any of you been able to get the sound to come out more by applying just enough throttle before the point that the car wants to down shift? Essentially you're just making the engine work harder = max boost but low RPM. It's obviously a lot easier to do it with a manual. Probably not good for the car anyway, but it does sound cool.

Old 10-05-2007, 06:57 PM

Looks great! I also would be interested in one! I would like to see some dyno results and have realistic gains! I think hammered silver or chrome would look the best...

Old 10-05-2007, 08:43 PM

NeedsWings,

I will be dyno'ing my car (stock) in the next week or two. If you want to run one on a dyno, and you don't have access to one - ship it over and I'll run it and ship it back.

I'm being serious - and if it is one you can sell, I will possibly buy it after results - as well as post a full report on the results.

However, I think the main place this will help with power is when the car is moving - not sure the dyno will show too much improvement.

SQ

Old 10-06-2007, 12:11 AM
Received 93 Likes on 67 Posts

Originally Posted by ShawnQ
NeedsWings,

I will be dyno'ing my car (stock) in the next week or two. If you want to run one on a dyno, and you don't have access to one - ship it over and I'll run it and ship it back.

I'm being serious - and if it is one you can sell, I will possibly buy it after results - as well as post a full report on the results.

However, I think the main place this will help with power is when the car is moving - not sure the dyno will show too much improvement.

SQ
do you have ability to properly disable bas/esp? we can do it using a $20,000 startech laptop but that doesn't really help you unless you close enough to get here, laptop needs to be plugged into car while disabled.

Old 10-06-2007, 12:16 AM

do you have ability to properly disable bas/esp? we can do it using a $20,000 startech laptop but that doesn't really help you unless you close enough to get here, laptop needs to be plugged into car while disabled.
I doubt my local shop has anything for that...the only thing I know to do is pull the fuses.

SQ

Old 10-07-2007, 06:17 PM

If you can post dyno results and an audio clip of the supercharger sound, I'll drop $500 on it.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:04 AM

The cooler the air when it enters the supercharger, the better...I would think.

SQ
When the S/C compresses the air, it heats up... hence the need for an I/C. Upgrading the intercooler system would be money/time/etc. Much better spent IMO. Not only does an upgraded cooling system let you run more boost, but it lets you do it safer.

Old 10-08-2007, 09:43 AM

Yes the air does heat up, but a point is being missed here. You have to look at the temp delta. If the air is 100 degrees before it is compressed and 160 degrees after the intercooler, then there is a 60 degree delta. If you lower the pre-compressed air temp 20 degrees, than the compressed AIT should be 20 less also (just as long as the intercooler coolant isn't super hot).

Old 10-08-2007, 10:42 AM

Originally Posted by JeremyAnderson
Yes the air does heat up, but a point is being missed here. You have to look at the temp delta. If the air is 100 degrees before it is compressed and 160 degrees after the intercooler, then there is a 60 degree delta. If you lower the pre-compressed air temp 20 degrees, than the compressed AIT should be 20 less also (just as long as the intercooler coolant isn't super hot).
My point exactly.

I understand that a supercharger compresses and heats the air. But, like said above, the cooler there air initially, the better!

Go drive your car on a 55* air temp day, and then drive it on a 105* air temp day.

SQ

Old 10-08-2007, 11:08 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by matadorCE
when the S/C compresses the air, it heats up.. hence the need for an I/C. Upgrading the intercooler system would be money/time/etc. much better spent IMO. Not only does an upgraded cooling system let you run more boost, but it lets you do it safer.
I don't think you understand the basic principals of an internal combustion engine. If you want to make more horsepower you need to get more air (oxygen) into the engine. It has been common practice to swap out the factory air cleaner assembly with a free flowing one since the 60's. Hell maybe even earlier? This has always been one of the first items to upgrade on a quest to make more power.

Old 10-08-2007, 11:35 AM

My point exactly.

I understand that a supercharger compresses and heats the air. But, like said above, the cooler there air initially, the better!

Go drive your car on a 55* air temp day, and then drive it on a 105* air temp day.

SQ
Duh, it's Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde...

Old 10-08-2007, 01:26 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

what are you doing with a $20,000 startech laptop?

Quick Reply: srt6 3" CAI sneak peak