Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Ha! I found someone to put a stick in the SRT-6

Old 08-15-2006, 03:54 PM
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Ha! I found someone to put a stick in the SRT-6

Renntech said they'll do it. They would need the car for 12 weeks to make the ECU work with the manual transmission. They also said the transmission is a modified 6-speed Mercedes unit capable of holding 400 hp (whether that be crank or wheel has yet to be identified). Cost...
$15,000 - $20,000.

Old 08-15-2006, 06:03 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Ha! I found someone to put a stick in the SRT-6

Not a real surprise that RENNtech will do it nor the price.

Personally not how I would choose to spend that much scratch but to each their own.

As a word of warning be prepared for both cost and time over runs. This is nothing against RENNtech it is just the nature of the beast.

Old 08-15-2006, 07:48 PM

Of course!!

Old 08-15-2006, 08:00 PM

What about putting a super charger on a manual limited? With so many limiteds selling for under $20k + the cost & labor of the speedy bolt ons... It seems that could be a way to go.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:37 PM
Forum Regular

Except with the SRT-6 you get upgraded suspension, brakes, and engine.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:46 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by golfdude
Renntech said they'll do it. They would need the car for 12 weeks to make the ECU work with the manual transmission. They also said the transmission is a modified 6-speed Mercedes unit capable of holding 400 hp (whether that be crank or wheel has yet to be identified). Cost...
$15,000 - $20,000.
Why? Six speeds impress high schoolers, automatics win races! Especially the top notch auto in the SRT-6! It's the best auto I've ever driven.

Old 08-15-2006, 08:56 PM

Goodenough...An important thing to consider is simply reliability. Supercharge a 6-speed Crossfire, and you end up with risking the drivetrain, engine components, and your brakes become an issue too. But at this point I am almost being redundant with what SRT6_Roadster said.

ws6vert...Please don't go there. There's simply so much to argue it's just not worth it. The bottom line is, I prefer driving stick. I've driven the SRT-6 and I was not impressed at all. My 6-speed Crossfire has more character and FEELS quicker (of course I know it isn't). I'm a finicky car enthusiast who likes character, and I feel the manual transmission makes the Crossfire have the most character. Oh yeah, I tried the autostick feature and it wasn't cutting it for me. I can downshift much quicker than it on demand. Good to hear you happy with your tranny though.

Old 08-16-2006, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by ws6vert
Why? Six speeds impress high schoolers, automatics win races! Especially the top notch auto in the SRT-6! It's the best auto I've ever driven.
they are a hell of alot more fun to drive then an automatic. and auto win races when they are drag cars but on the street 9 times out of 10. the stick is going to beat an auto if they are evenly matched or the same car. i would never pay that much to change this over but if they made this car stick i would like it 10 times better. because you can only get the car auto i would never own. i just only lease it.

Last edited by 05blacksrt6; 08-16-2006 at 02:07 AM.
Old 08-16-2006, 10:41 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I too have preferred a stick to an auto...but, I have to admit the auto on the SRT6 is pretty nice. Especially here in SoCal when you get stuck on the linear parking lots (freeways) trying to get home.

Two friends have new Pontiac GTOs, one auto and one 6 speed. The 6 speed seems faster as you are pushed back than slightly forward then back again as you shift, but the stopwatch doesn't lie and they are nearly identical. An even though the 6 speed GTO seemed quicker than the SRT, it just isn't.

On the track, the SRT6 tranny holds the gears (whether you choose or it does) very well. After a few laps of slapping the tranny around I just let it do its own thing and concentrated on braking, setting the apex and accelerating. It truly is adaptive.

I had a Z4 with "triptronic" that would not hold 2nd around a sweeping turn. I had to keep manually shifting back down. In the same turn the SRT6 holds and lets me exit in 2nd with a rush.

It would have been nice if the SRT6 was offered with both for those that do prefer to shift, but the autostick is a good solution.

Old 08-16-2006, 01:06 PM
Forum Regular

shoot for that price. you can get yourself a winston cup racing trans. probably have ability to change gear ratios and handle 800 hp.

check out Jerico 5 speed road race tranny, $5,000 over 900 plus gear combos. http://www.jericoperformance.com/4.html

Last edited by dynamicS; 08-16-2006 at 03:54 PM.
Old 08-16-2006, 07:01 PM
Forum Regular

A good driver in a stick will beat an automatic everytime (assuming street based cars, not drag racers).

An average driver in a automatic will beat an average driver with a stick.

Automatics are used in drag racing do to ease of driving and consistency.

The autostick feature in the SRT-6 is basically worthless.

Old 08-16-2006, 11:45 PM

I think that most of the money goes into making the ECU work with the modified transmission.

Old 08-17-2006, 06:12 PM
Forum Regular

I have lots of experience with 6 speeds. The Firebird/Camaro's were one of the first cars that had them back when no one had ever heard of a six speed! And I've owned 2 with 6 speeds. Now my current bird is an auto. My auto bird takes down the six speeds all the time. Poor launch and shift techniques kill the stick drivers. The auto in the crossfire is far superior as it holds the gears and responds very well. Like the guy talking about the GTO, the six speed just feels stronger. Don't believe the myth that a stick is quicker. Well unless you wanna race my auto Trans-Am or my auto SRT-6 for cash!

Old 08-17-2006, 06:29 PM

ws6vert...Hahaha...Be careful what you wish for my friend. Just kidding. Nevertheless, like you and SRT SIX said, you get the "feeling" of more power. I enjoy having that "feeling." I too am a supporter of some automatics being faster than sticks, especially when the sticks are driven by people who don't know how to drive them.

Oh, and that Jerico tranny...it sounds interesting and when I get closer to making my decision, I will look into it. It could be less expensive than the tranny that Renntech would give me, with the addition of it being capable of handling double the horsepower.

Last edited by golfdude; 08-17-2006 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-18-2006, 12:15 AM
Forum Regular

If you are spending 20K that's in my opinion nuts. If your car is 35K plus 20K that's 55K. For that you could buy an XLR with 10,000 miles on it. It would hold its value better and you would get much more car. Of course it to would not be a stick. But it would be fun.

Old 08-18-2006, 12:21 AM

Originally Posted by upstate
If you are spending 20K that's in my opinion nuts. If your car is 35K plus 20K that's 55K. For that you could buy an XLR with 10,000 miles on it. It would hold its value better and you would get much more car. Of course it to would not be a stick. But it would be fun.
Sorry to say this, but, I would NEVER swap my STOCK, current 6-speed '04 Crossfire for an XLR! I just can't see myself sitting in an interior with plastics suitable for a children's toy. The fact that it's an automatic is icing on the cake!

Nevertheless, there are smarter options, even at the $55k price range, but it's the love of the Crossfire and the chance to be unique that makes it appealing to me.

Old 08-18-2006, 01:16 AM
Forum Regular

ws6vert... i'll race my m6 trans am against you for cash...lets do it.

where do you live?

Old 08-18-2006, 07:22 PM
Forum Regular

Georgia. I see your time, bring it on!! Get you some of my '78 T/A while your at it also!

Old 08-19-2006, 09:02 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by ws6vert
Poor launch and shift techniques kill the stick drivers.
You are correct. Poor driving will cause you to lose a race every time. Takes much more skill to drive a stick than an auto.

Old 08-19-2006, 10:18 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by golfdude
Sorry to say this, but, I would NEVER swap my STOCK, current 6-speed '04 Crossfire for an XLR! I just can't see myself sitting in an interior with plastics suitable for a children's toy. The fact that it's an automatic is icing on the cake!

Nevertheless, there are smarter options, even at the $55k price range, but it's the love of the Crossfire and the chance to be unique that makes it appealing to me.
If you are going to slam be accurate. The interior has lots of leather and real wood and real metal. Our only leather is the seats.

Quick Reply: Ha! I found someone to put a stick in the SRT-6