Crossfire SRT6 A place to discuss SRT-6 specific topics.

Ignition Key Programming

Old 08-14-2006 | 01:52 PM
Cool Ignition Key Programming

I got a key from a Ebay source. It is not a blank key but the unit looks brand new. Can I get a new flat cut and then just install it in the transmitter? Can I program the transmitter to lock and unlock the doors without have a new key cut?
Do you know of any dis-assembly manual for the key/transmitter?

Old 08-14-2006 | 02:29 PM
Default Re: Ignition Key Programming

The replacement key ordered from Chrysler came precut but not programmed. The key would start the car, but the remote buttons were inoperative until programmed by the dealer for an additional $42.50. I don't know if there is any sort of code within the keyfob for the start function, but it would seem the remote works independently of the key.

Henry

Old 08-14-2006 | 03:53 PM

Same with me I purchased an extra key fob on ebay hoping to use it as an extra means to get into my vehicle, question can the fob alone be programmed (and how?) to open the doors and would this third remote interfere some how with the original two?
It seems this is the best extra way to gain entry into our locked vehicles as trying to get a extra key made is so costly from the dealer.
Once again this question only deals with gaining entry (unlocking the doors only) and NOT trying to start the engine. I have my reasons.
Any and all help like always is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,

Old 08-14-2006 | 03:58 PM
Cool Re: Ignition Key Programming

The Key Fob has to be programmed, usually by the dealer. I believe there was a prior thread on this and there is a way to program the fob yourself.

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ey+programming

Old 08-14-2006 | 04:50 PM

There is a post on here which has you push the remote button 2 times and then turn on the ignition to the on position.

I held the new key up to the key area which has the antenna but no luck.

Old 08-14-2006 | 07:09 PM

I have previous cut key with transmitter from another car. Any way to program it to work with my car?

Old 08-14-2006 | 09:57 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by 178
Same with me I purchased an extra key fob on ebay hoping to use it as an extra means to get into my vehicle, question can the fob alone be programmed (and how?) to open the doors and would this third remote interfere some how with the original two?
It seems this is the best extra way to gain entry into our locked vehicles as trying to get a extra key made is so costly from the dealer.
Once again this question only deals with gaining entry (unlocking the doors only) and NOT trying to start the engine. I have my reasons.
Any and all help like always is very much appreciated.

Sincerely,
If all you want is a key to open doors and get inside your car, see this thread, post #6: https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...5718#post85718

Old 08-15-2006 | 07:55 PM

Interesting... On the 2nd day I owned my limited, my keys wouldn't start the car. This was the start of my Lemon Law issue. It took 45+ days to get a vin specific key from the outside vendor in Germany. I also had to get new parts for the steering column & ignition assembly too.
They guys at the dealer never mentioned anything about reprogramming though they said the problem was the program in the key.
Anyway... all the time & hassle let Chrysler buy me out of my limited & afforded me the opportunity to buy an SRT.

Old 08-16-2006 | 06:00 PM
Forum Regular

Buy the key from Chrysler. They're cut at the national key and lock center for Mercedes. It's in Ft Worth, Texas. It only takes a day or two. They ship overnight to our MB dealerships. My spare key came in a package that had their name and address all over it.

To program the key do the following:

insert the key into the ignition
turn the key to the on position
press the unlock button
turn the key to the off position
press the lock button

You're done! That's all it took for mine.

Old 08-16-2006 | 07:15 PM
Forum Regular

sounds easy enough, i'll have to save this post.

Old 08-17-2006 | 03:17 PM
Question Re: Ignition Key Programming

Originally Posted by feets
Buy the key from Chrysler. They're cut at the national key and lock center for Mercedes. It's in Ft Worth, Texas. It only takes a day or two. They ship overnight to our MB dealerships. My spare key came in a package that had their name and address all over it.

To program the key do the following:

insert the key into the ignition
turn the key to the on position
press the unlock button
turn the key to the off position
press the lock button

You're done! That's all it took for mine.
Can you give me the address and phone information from the package? It would help me get to the correct place. Also did you get the transmitter along with the spare key or just the key?

Old 08-17-2006 | 03:28 PM

Me too please.

Old 08-18-2006 | 04:39 PM
Forum Regular

The national key and lock center is not open to the public. They are part of the parts distribution center for Mercedes Benz. We had to fight tooth and nail to get a will call pick up once per day for regular parts. We can forget about picking up keys. That won't happen.
Since it is a secure facility, there is no public access. They have no customer contact personnel there either. You must place the order through a Chrysler dealer.

As a MB parts guy, I've toured the center and order keys for my clients. It's actually closer to my house than the dealership.

When I ordered a replacement key (through a Chrysler dealer) I recognized the label and saw the key and lock center info.