Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Unusual 3rd Brake Light Problem

Old 04-09-2013, 01:33 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unusual 3rd Brake Light Problem

Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2007 Bright Silver roadster which I have had for 2 trouble free years. However I recently discovered an unusual problem for which I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently learned that my center-mounted 3rd brake light was not working. I researched the problem here and saw that defective 3rd brake lights are a common problem on the roadsters, but are easily replaced, so I tracked down a new led light bar and set about doing the replacement myself. However, when I removed the old light, I found that it had no wires or connections going to it at all!! I looked everywhere to see if there was a wire that was unplugged, but couldn't find any loose wires anywhere. The weird part is that since I have had the car, it has passed 2 state inspections and I have been stopped twice for speeding and neither officer said anything about the light not working. Also, the access panel to get to the light had not been removed since I bought the car. The problem is, I know nothing about automotive wiring. Can someone tell me how much of a hassle it will be to install the wiring to the 3rd brake light? I'm guessing I may have to get the wiring from a wrecked roadster. I can't believe this issue wasn't caught on the 2 past inspections, but I guess it confirms my suspicions that state inspections here are a big rip off. I'm coming up for another inspection next month and would like to get this fixed. It would probably pass the inspection again, but I can't stand knowing that something on the car is defective. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!!
Dave L.

Old 04-09-2013, 02:23 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: Unusual 3rd Brake Light Problem

Originally Posted by Dave L
Hello everyone,

I am the proud owner of a 2007 Bright Silver roadster which I have had for 2 trouble free years. However I recently discovered an unusual problem for which I'm hoping someone can help me. I recently learned that my center-mounted 3rd brake light was not working. I researched the problem here and saw that defective 3rd brake lights are a common problem on the roadsters, but are easily replaced, so I tracked down a new led light bar and set about doing the replacement myself. However, when I removed the old light, I found that it had no wires or connections going to it at all!! I looked everywhere to see if there was a wire that was unplugged, but couldn't find any loose wires anywhere. The weird part is that since I have had the car, it has passed 2 state inspections and I have been stopped twice for speeding and neither officer said anything about the light not working. Also, the access panel to get to the light had not been removed since I bought the car. The problem is, I know nothing about automotive wiring. Can someone tell me how much of a hassle it will be to install the wiring to the 3rd brake light? I'm guessing I may have to get the wiring from a wrecked roadster. I can't believe this issue wasn't caught on the 2 past inspections, but I guess it confirms my suspicions that state inspections here are a big rip off. I'm coming up for another inspection next month and would like to get this fixed. It would probably pass the inspection again, but I can't stand knowing that something on the car is defective. Can anyone give me some advice?

Thanks!!
Dave L.
As that 2 wire connection is an integral part of the wiring harness, I find it hard to believe that the factory left it out. I think it much more likely that the connector is hiding somewhere in the trunk lid.
( I could be wrong, and it wouldn't be the first time )

Old 04-09-2013, 05:20 PM

Thanks for the quick reply alaxfire. It's a mystery. I looked everywhere in the trunk area and there are no loose wires. All other wires to the spoiler, etc are neatly grouped together. I'm hoping to find a reliable mechanic to take a look at it. Unfortunately, there aren't many Crossfire knowledgeable mechanics here in my area of WV. Thanks again for the link.
Dave L.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:41 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Have you looked for where the connector is on the lamp assembly?

Old 04-10-2013, 08:24 AM

The harness is shown in the schematic as a black/blue wire and a brown wire :

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Capture.JPG (43.4 KB, 30 views)
Old 04-10-2013, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Have you looked for where the connector is on the lamp assembly?
Yeah. I had the lamp assembly completely removed. There is a small connector at the bottom of the assembly, but no wires to be found. I am at a complete loss as to why the previous owner would have unplugged the light and removed the wires.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:28 AM

Originally Posted by alaxfire
The harness is shown in the schematic as a black/blue wire and a brown wire :
Many thanks for your assistance. This is very helpful.

Old 04-10-2013, 10:29 AM

Where are you located ?

Old 04-10-2013, 12:00 PM

North Central West Virginia in a little town called Bridgeport. Relocated here from DC for my government job. I'm about 40 miles south of the PA border.