Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Repair rear defroster plug tab on window?

Old 04-21-2012, 09:16 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair rear defroster plug tab on window?

I've now had my roadster two weeks and love it! I've detailed the interior and engine compartment and cleaned/ conditioned the top with Raggtopp, and did the headlights last night. Still have to buff and polish the exterior and get new tires...I noticed the driver's heated seat doesn't work, but that can wait until it's parked for the winter.

My question: I noticed that the tab on the rear defroster plug on the passenger side of the rear window has broken off the metal clip attached to the window; how should I reattach it? I could solder it, but I think that would be too soft and would break off.
I suspect it's from fatigue since I can see the wire on the drivers side moving when the top goes down.

Any thought's would be appreciated! Thanks.

Old 12-23-2012, 08:28 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Repair rear defroster plug tab on window?

Today I fixed the broken rear window defroster tabs on my Xfire. I opened the back of the top to where it was sticking straight up so I had an easy view of the tabs. I laid some towels down on the top cover in case something fell so it wouldn't get scratched. Then, I flattened the tabs and hooked them under the metal brackets that are spot welded to the electric window grid on both sides; then I soldered them. I tried to place the tabs in a direction where they wouldn't be flexed too much by putting the top up and down. They seem very sturdy...but time will tell. I'm not sure if they broke with flexing from putting the top up and down, or if they were broke off when the window tint was put on with the previous owner. They have been broke since I bought the car.

After it was done I ran a VOM across the terminals and was getting 12V, so it appears to be working.

Pics attached.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
1223121450.jpg (1.72 MB, 26 views)
1223121450a.jpg (2.45 MB, 26 views)
1223121508a.jpg (2.20 MB, 26 views)