Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Spoiler, heater rear window and top all DEAD

Old 12-17-2011, 05:50 AM
Location: The United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spoiler, heater rear window and top all DEAD

Hi all. Having recently bought my car it's been riddled with electrical bugs. Yesterday, on picking it up from the dealer i bought it from (a three hour drive from my house) i found the spoiler was stuck in the upright position.
It went in originally to fix a broken heater fan and an engine coolant warning light. These are now good but i'm lumbered with more problems.
I'm at pains to take it back and hope it's just a fuse or something.

In detail, the spoiler was down when i picked it up and raised when i hit 60 (i didn't need to check the rear window heater and it's 4 degrees c here so the roof stayed up). A few miles on I hit traffic and noticed it didn't go back down.

The button has no effect, there's no light. When i later tried the roof and rear window it's the same story - no beep, no led light, totally dead.

Everything else appears to work fine so it seems like something has been dislodged. The fact they are all crossfire specific parts (not borrowed from mercedes) and are all located and the back of the car can't be a coincidence, surely?
I'm on a very old phone so my apologies if this has been covered before but searching the net is not easy with a screen this small.

Thanks, Morgan.

Last edited by gazm; 12-24-2011 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-17-2011, 06:17 AM
Default Re: Spoiler, heater rear window and top all DEAD

Just had a quick play now that it's light outside and the roof is completely void of life. The widows wind down just fine, but when i unlatch the roof they stay put, no signal is being sent to them to lower :-(
I looked under the fuse box and all seems to be okay except one big round socket with nothing plugged into it (this may be something for auto transmittions, mine's a manual). It's very messy under there and i could only see six fuses.

Old 12-17-2011, 06:44 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

TOP :
Battery voltage is supplied to the pump motor from Fuse 6 (40A) located in the Underhood Accessory Fuse Block to both Left and Right Rotation Relays. The PTCM monitors the power top switch signal, when it senses a signal from the switch; the PTCM controls the battery feed and ground to the pump motor through the rotation relays.

HEATED REAR WINDOW :
Check Fuses 4, 25 and 26 in the Underhood Accessory Fuse Block.

CHECK THE BATTERY, 12.5 - 12.7 VOLTS ENGINE OFF, 14.5 - 14.8 ENGINE RUNNING.
These cars are very voltage sensitive.

Old 12-17-2011, 07:50 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by alaxfire
TOP :
Battery voltage is supplied to the pump motor from Fuse 6 (40A) located in the Underhood Accessory Fuse Block to both Left and Right Rotation Relays. The PTCM monitors the power top switch signal, when it senses a signal from the switch; the PTCM controls the battery feed and ground to the pump motor through the rotation relays.

HEATED REAR WINDOW :
Check Fuses 4, 25 and 26 in the Underhood Accessory Fuse Block.

CHECK THE BATTERY, 12.5 - 12.7 VOLTS ENGINE OFF, 14.5 - 14.8 ENGINE RUNNING.
These cars are very voltage sensitive.
This is good info and useful.There have been reports of the position switch in the overhead going bad and displaying these symptoms (I know this first-hand). In fact mine went bad after a pothole incident.

Old 12-17-2011, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by maxcichon
This is good info and useful.There have been reports of the position switch in the overhead going bad and displaying these symptoms (I know this first-hand). In fact mine went bad after a pothole incident.
Position switch in the overhead? I could see that this would hurt the top and i guess the heated rear window only works with the roof properly in place. But the spoiler? Also i thought if a switch was out it would beep or show some signs of life. Mine acts as if the battery has been disconnected for those parts of the car...
Ergh my head hurts - how i hate electrical problems!

Old 12-21-2011, 08:31 AM

Would one of you lovely people be able to do me a favour? I'm not near my car until Friday and desperately want to diagnose its ailment remotely (I know, I'm crazy...)

Could one of you unlatch the roof to the '8 inch position', and see if the spoiler can be raised or lowered using the button? Also if the spoiler is in the mid point between up and down, can the roof be lowered? Are there any lights or beeps?

Thanks so much.

I really want to get the spoiler back down - it looks like it constantly has a tiny erection. It's also looking to be a relatively warm Christmas down in the sound of Britain, would be amazing to go for a topless spin Christmas day on the empty roads!

Old 12-21-2011, 11:24 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by gazm
Would one of you lovely people be able to do me a favour? I'm not near my car until Friday and desperately want to diagnose its ailment remotely (I know, I'm crazy...)

Could one of you unlatch the roof to the '8 inch position', and see if the spoiler can be raised or lowered using the button? Also if the spoiler is in the mid point between up and down, can the roof be lowered? Are there any lights or beeps?

Thanks so much.

I really want to get the spoiler back down - it looks like it constantly has a tiny erection. It's also looking to be a relatively warm Christmas down in the sound of Britain, would be amazing to go for a topless spin Christmas day on the empty roads!
From my memory, I do not have a roadster, the spoiler must be down to operate the top.
Is it possible that the panel inside the trunk has been dislodged by the jolt from the proper position and compounding the problem by not contacting the switch?

Last edited by onehundred80; 12-21-2011 at 11:28 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 01:51 PM

It could be. The car is supposed to beep if the boot separator thing isn't in place. I get no beep, I get no life whatsoever

Old 12-24-2011, 12:43 PM

I've done a bit of nosing around and it's Fuse #7 which has blown causing the parts not to work. I changed the fuse but it blows as soon as the ignition is switched on.

Seems like the BCM is now bad...

Old 12-24-2011, 01:44 PM

I've done a bit of nosing around and it's Fuse #7 which has blown causing the parts not to work. I changed the fuse but it blows as soon as the ignition is switched on.

Seems like the BCM is now bad...
Do not be so pessimistic, you probably have a short in the wiring somewhere.

Old 12-24-2011, 02:09 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Do not be so pessimistic, you probably have a short in the wiring somewhere.
That's worse! Stripping the miles of wiring to check for leaky electricity sounds like a long and laborious job. Oh well it's Christmas, I'll worry about this in a few days...

Old 12-24-2011, 02:21 PM

That's worse! Stripping the miles of wiring to check for leaky electricity sounds like a long and laborious job. Oh well it's Christmas, I'll worry about this in a few days...
The problem probably lies at the motor end of the wiring, a short may turn out much cheaper. There are limit switches there and they may be the root of the problem.

Old 12-24-2011, 03:40 PM

Since the spoiler went up on its own when you left the dealer, it seems like the circuit was OK at that point. I am guessing that the fuse blew when you tried to retract the spoiler. Maybe something stuck in the mechanism causing the motor to overheat and blow the fuse. You could try disconnecting the spoiler motor, replace the fuse, and see if everything else works. If everything else is ok, it has something to do with the spoiler mechanism.

Old 12-24-2011, 04:22 PM

Thanks, will try that when I get some more fuses. Seems strange that the spoiler fuse didn't blow, though...?

Just to add to the list of troubles, the speedo is also wrong. It reads about 10mph too slow and when stationary sits below 0. This is all too weird.

Last edited by gazm; 12-24-2011 at 05:45 PM.
Old 12-24-2011, 06:39 PM
Forum Regular

Well, Merry Christmas any way. Things DO have a way of working out. Miracles still happen. Just enjoy the Holy day and then hit it again on Boxing Day.
PACEMAKER

Old 04-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Default Re: Spoiler, heater rear window and top all ALIVE AGAIN

So finally, finally, FINALLY they got it all fixed. It took months (I only got it back yesterday) and cost them a small fortune but it's done. Credit to the garage for honouring their warranty so comprehensively.

Turns out (after having the interior removed, all the wires ripped out and a failed trip to a Chrysler main dealer) that there was some moisture in a fan in one of the modules (no idea how), which shorted out the fuse every time. This was replaced but it had caused some damage to the BCM (£1700 for a new one). So now the spoiler was fixed but the roof was still dead so back it went to Chrysler to have its codes flushed(?) and hey presto, all back to normal. Just in time for the heat wave to finish and the rains to begin...not that I care one jot cos I've got my car again.

Only niggle now is an annoying squeak coming from the rear which I think may be to do with the handbrake being too tight and not fully disengaging. But maybe not - at least it's not an electrical issue.

Slightly rubbish photos attached. Will do some better ones when the sun finally returns...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Crossfire_01_small.jpg (184.8 KB, 13 views)
Crossfire_02_small.jpg (112.7 KB, 9 views)
Crossfire_03_small.jpg (179.9 KB, 9 views)

Last edited by gazm; 04-08-2012 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:01 AM
SSB SRT6 405hp/401Tq
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Great news. Now start to enjoy that beauty !!

Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

just so you know...these little cars are very voltage sensitive. Slightest bit of moisture, weakness in the battery, and you will have problems. So keep her high and dry...and a good battery in her....

Old 04-08-2012, 09:07 AM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
just so you know...these little cars are very voltage sensitive. Slightest bit of moisture, weakness in the battery, and you will have problems. So keep her high and dry...and a good battery in her....
X2..........

Old 04-08-2012, 09:34 AM

Holey Karp! I hope it behaves now after going through all of that. Sure looks like a nice ride.
Take it out for a looong cruise somewhere and make sure it's good.