Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Battery crap on battery mounting plate?

Old 06-21-2010, 12:47 PM
Received 33 Likes on 29 Posts
Default Battery crap on battery mounting plate?

I've pulled the battery and mounting plate twice on my SRT6 to remove that white powdery stuff that sometimes grows on the battery terminals. Except this was around the plate under the battery and was rotting off the paint and rusting. I thought it might be due to the higher heat put out by the SRT6. However, I just noticed this when I looked at my roadster battery. It's still oem.

Any idea what causes this? I did store the car for 5 winters, the last with a float charger. I do plan to remove the battery and plate in the next few weeks, scrape, repaint and remount. I also will add those little red/green pads under the terminals, hoping that will help.

Old 06-21-2010, 01:58 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: Battery crap on battery mounting plate?

Those little red and green pads did it for me. Have you seen any evidence of the overflow vent box (little white doohicky) leaking/full? that would be overcharging. Even if it didn't actually overflow, as the acid evaporates it can cause damage to paint and bare metal alike. I replaced my battery with a WalMart special and it came with an elbow and a tube for the overflow. I attached about 3' of teflon tubing and routed it down and under the car.

Old 06-21-2010, 02:13 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I get that stuff on the end of my antenna. I understand getting it on your battery. but why the antenna?

Old 06-21-2010, 02:57 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Those little red and green pads did it for me. Have you seen any evidence of the overflow vent box (little white doohicky) leaking/full? that would be overcharging. Even if it didn't actually overflow, as the acid evaporates it can cause damage to paint and bare metal alike. I replaced my battery with a WalMart special and it came with an elbow and a tube for the overflow. I attached about 3' of teflon tubing and routed it down and under the car.
There is a hole at the opposite end of the battery to the overflow trap, this hole is identical to the one the overflow trap goes into. It should have a small opaque plug in it so that any overflow is prevented.
As your battery is the OEM battery you should have the plug installed. My new battery did not have a trap or a plug and I reinstalled the OEM parts.
These should be in place to prevent spillage and the damage that ensues when they are not.
If anyone tops up the battery with water they should remember not to get too liberal with the water or it will overflow, fill the trap if installed and leak all over the car.

Old 06-21-2010, 03:51 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grayroadster
I get that stuff on the end of my antenna. I understand getting it on your battery. but why the antenna?
Ask the neighbor's wife!