Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 01-09-2012, 12:51 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Checked with the dealer today and the warranty only applies to vehicles delivered to sunbelt states,i suppose if you proved you lived in one for a while you might have a case

Old 02-12-2012, 11:55 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My car originated in Ohio and I have had it in Kentucky for the past three years. The window partially seperated over last memorial day. I used the 3m window weld adhesive and it has held great every since.

I have a SRT 6 Roadster coming in a few days that originated in Florida and then was moved to South Carolina, but I am sure it won't qualify for a new top if it does separate.

Old 02-12-2012, 11:48 PM
Forum Regular
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Before totalling my roadster I got a letter from chrsyler about extending the warranty on the rear windows to 10 years or a 100 thousand miles check with a dealership it may save you the headache.

Old 04-02-2012, 04:07 PM

Hi, I just got into this mess with the rear window of my convertible what unfortunately is a 2006 model. I live in Miami and the car has been always parked in the garage. However living in Miami the car will be sometime be exposed of more than 100 F and last week it happened. I called Chrysler, they said I am out of warranty. I had to take the car to the Dealer ship to diagnose the reason ( maybe they think I did it on purpose??) Well, the tech figured it's the same reason as the 2005 models, but until today no 2006 owner complained, so there is no open case! Of course! I guess I am the first. Well however they said it can't get repaired, I need a new Top, he threw me $1365 for the top and $1525 labor. Damnnnn, where am I going to get this money? So now I am reading your M3 glue job you did. Would you please keep me updated? I see you live in Arizona and it is quite hotter there than here. So I hope your glue is holding.

Old 04-02-2012, 05:16 PM

I live in Miami and I am wondering if you found a fix for your rear window issue. It is happening to me now and mine is 2006 model. I am still waiting for an answer from Chrysler. If I get this fix denied I will go ahead and complain with BBB and I will be considering to bring this issue into FOX news. Because this is not only an issue from 2005 models, it is expanding to the 2006 models as well. And this is a hazard on the street and should not happen, does not matter how long I am driving this car. You can't just glue a window to a convertible top. How they got away with this?

Old 04-02-2012, 07:43 PM
Default Re: Rear Window Convertible Top Reinstallation Narrative

Originally Posted by TerryR
Kane, I also repaired my top, basically using (Mach2plus) Bobs advice, and just finished, what I would consider a 95% success, as I would not consider my efforts a professional job, but a pretty good fix, for the price of the Adhesive and Primer, and about 4 hours total time. My thanks go to Forum member "Dtinker" for his assistancs during this process. My glass was loose only at the bottom & sides and was still well stuck along the top edge.
1) picture of the old glue removal using a makeshift homemade tool (The Blade). easy to do, just takes time, about 1 hour. Note the black edge to the glass, a good guide when applying the Primer and Adhesive.
2) Top & Sides in the loose position. After applying approx. 1/4" dia adhesive bead to the glass, using a popsicle stick, I smoothed the outer edge of the adhesive to the edge of the glass, to keep the "squeeze out" on that side to a minimum, as it is a little awkward to clean up the inside.
3) I used Kitchen rolls on the inside of the glass to hold it firm and in position, while WE gently pressed the glass and canvas together using the black edge of the glass as a guide, and gently pressed down to squeeze out the excess adhesive along the full length of the repair, ensuring the "squeeze out" WAS total length of the repair. Then as my car is only used at weekends, left it to cure until the next weekend. I think 24 hours would have done.
4) Trimmed off the excess adhesive, which is pretty easy, as it is a rubbery consistancy, then cleaned the glass. JOB DONE.
I was very suprised how easy it was to do. The only awkward part is applying the adhesive to the window with the gun, (Arms get tired after a while) without getting it on the Canvas Top, that is where the additional help comes in very handy. As this car is for my pleasure, and not intended to be a garage queen, a very practical, and financial success. thanks again Bob & Dave Tinker.

Attachment 22468 Attachment 22469 Attachment 22470

Attachment 22471 Attachment 22472 Attachment 22473

my window looks just the same, maybe less lose. For now the window is only lose in the left and right corners. I wished I could fix it just like you....... Its a shame that I don't have any Miami XF owners .... with the same issue

Old 04-02-2012, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by janaiy
Hi, I just got into this mess with the rear window of my convertible what unfortunately is a 2006 model. I live in Miami and the car has been always parked in the garage. However living in Miami the car will be sometime be exposed of more than 100 F and last week it happened. I called Chrysler, they said I am out of warranty. I had to take the car to the Dealer ship to diagnose the reason ( maybe they think I did it on purpose??) Well, the tech figured it's the same reason as the 2005 models, but until today no 2006 owner complained, so there is no open case! Of course! I guess I am the first. Well however they said it can't get repaired, I need a new Top, he threw me $1365 for the top and $1525 labor. Damnnnn, where am I going to get this money? So now I am reading your M3 glue job you did. Would you please keep me updated? I see you live in Arizona and it is quite hotter there than here. So I hope your glue is holding.
I guess I was lucky, they replaced it with a beautiful new top & window.
As far as my fix, it was Locktite Gel super glue sold at Home Depot, it did a real good job and held until they replaced the top, that was about 5 months. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS.
Dale

Old 04-02-2012, 08:12 PM

Originally Posted by dwbasham3
I guess I was lucky, they replaced it with a beautiful new top & window.
As far as my fix, it was Locktite Gel super glue sold at Home Depot, it did a real good job and held until they replaced the top, that was about 5 months. GOOD LUCK WITH YOURS.
Dale

was yours a 2005 5X vin number?

Old 04-03-2012, 10:11 AM

I got a form letter extending my warranty to 2015 due to the window issue. I haven't taken it in as my fix is working from when they told me it was on me and out of warranty...I did the 3m fix...still good ....I will get it replaced, but I will want to wait as long as I can so the top is new further along in its life...I am going to drive this car til the wheels fall off...Check with Chrysler on the extension of the top warranty...I have the proof...

Old 04-03-2012, 06:45 PM

Originally Posted by Stevefromtyler
I got a form letter extending my warranty to 2015 due to the window issue. I haven't taken it in as my fix is working from when they told me it was on me and out of warranty...I did the 3m fix...still good ....I will get it replaced, but I will want to wait as long as I can so the top is new further along in its life...I am going to drive this car til the wheels fall off...Check with Chrysler on the extension of the top warranty...I have the proof...

is yours a 2005 model? That's probably why. You should only get a new top as soon as it happens to your rear window. I haven't received an answer yet from Chrysler. I will definitely go further if they don't take care of this issue, does not matter what model it is. I am trying to find 2006 owners with the same issue.

Old 04-03-2012, 06:46 PM

is yours a 2005 model? That's probably why. You should only get a new top as soon as it happens to your rear window. I haven't received an answer yet from Chrysler. I will definitely go further if they don't take care of this issue, does not matter what model it is. I am trying to find 2006 owners with the same issue.
Do you still have the letter? Can you tell me what exactly it says regarding this issue?

Old 04-04-2012, 07:41 AM

The reason I am waiting is because initially when the glass detatched, they told me since it was out of warranty that it was on me. I used the 3m technique to readhere it. I then got the letter sept. 2011 saying this:
This letter is to inform you that the warranty period on your 2005 Chrsler Crossfire Roadster has been extended to 10 Years/100,000 miles Whichever occurs first. This applies to back glass adhesion on your vehicle....It states to contact them and bring letter in at time of repair. I contacted them and stated that I would have it repaired at my convenience when the window redetaches or when I have an opportune time to do it. They gave me a case number and asked me if I wanted reimbursement for my repair. I said I would address that at time of repair. They took info and said to get it done when I am ready but before the period or mileage runs out. I plan to do this in May..
I know this issue is a pain for folks with the problem, and I am quite certain that they didn't change the adhesion process in 2006 models since the problem was not apparent when they were building that year model. furthermore, I wouldn't be surprised if it was changed for ANY subsequent models before the car was DC'd..Good luck.

Old 04-04-2012, 09:29 AM

This is true, why would they change adesive if the issues got pubblic when all XF were already built! Thats a good point to argue with Chrysler! Very odd to me was the questions they were asking me when I called! Did I do all the scheduled inspections , did I had other cars with them ??? what has this to do with a manufactor problem on the XF??
Its going to be lovely! I am going to fight this issue until the end!

Old 04-04-2012, 09:47 AM

Check my posts earlier in this thread, but my '05 was not repaired, even though it has a PLASTIC window...Chrysler has turned me down twice!

Old 04-04-2012, 10:00 AM

With my 2005, I was able to work with Chrysler and a local dealer to get the top replaced for a $400 copay even though it was out of warranty. I also filed a complaint with the BBB and with the Transportation Safety Board. If a recall is declared, then I would get the $400 back. This is about a $3,000 or so job.

Old 04-04-2012, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Furgal
With my 2005, I was able to work with Chrysler and a local dealer to get the top replaced for a $400 copay even though it was out of warranty. I also filed a complaint with the BBB and with the Transportation Safety Board. If a recall is declared, then I would get the $400 back. This is about a $3,000 or so job.
How did you end up working with both Chrysler and the dealer? I may contact the BBB...how did you handle that?

Old 04-04-2012, 10:13 AM

Chrysler customer service sets up the process with a dealer that you select. The customer service number is 1-800-247-9753 and they can get you to the right person. I did the BBB and TSB complaints on-line.

Old 04-04-2012, 12:31 PM

I am still waiting on Chrysler what they will offer me. My dealership said its a manufactor issue. But they doubt they will cover the whole Top because out of warranty. Warranty in this case doesn't matter!!
I keep you guys updated!!

Old 04-04-2012, 01:26 PM

What I was told was that because I was the fifth owner, and that I had exceeded the 100,000 mile mark , they wouldn't honor the X31 or the TSB or the car...

Old 04-04-2012, 02:51 PM

For me this is a manufactor issue, does not matter how many owners and how many Miles you got! I am filing with TSB and news if I dont get replaced the top for free!

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?