Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 05-11-2011, 12:07 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

lol on the phone with Chrysler and they are giving me a hard time. Seems they don't wanna deal with having to fix it. What am I to do next. Alrdy file complaint with the NHTSA and Attorney general

Old 05-11-2011, 12:11 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Update:

After using the 3M method last year, I noticed this weekend that it has separated again as well as started to separate on the passenger side. Since the 3M tube was still 98% full, I reglued it again. I got nowhere trying to deal with Chrysler so it looks like I will be regluing this until I have to replace the top all together.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:26 PM

yeah Chrysler has failed me on this issue. They aren't willing to do anything about it and I dont have 1800 bucks to get a new top. I think i'm just going to trade her in for something less of a hassle i hate to say it

Old 05-11-2011, 04:47 PM
Administrator
Received 972 Likes on 758 Posts

Did you not see my other post? We have a DIY fix here that you can do in about an hour for under $20.

Old 05-11-2011, 04:56 PM

the thing is my window is completely out and was replaced by some cheap plastic that came from a jeep window. Needed a quick fix so i wouldn't get water damage. I doubt I will be able to get the old window in now

Old 05-30-2011, 10:24 PM

I guess I can join the group, I just bought this neat 2005 white roadster limited with the SE Wheels. While driving I noticed a high pitched rattle. On further inspection, I found the top of the rear window separating from the fabric top.
I have made a fix and so far it is holding up, I have put about 400 miles on the car and the top raised and lowered about 8 times.
There is this new product out by "Locktite" that is really just a form of Super Glue in a jelled format. I put a small bead along the separated part and held it together with blue masking tape overnight. It seems to be fairly secure.

With that said, It is obvious that it is definitely a manufacture defect and there is a safety issue here so I would like more input on how to file a complaint and possibly a class action law suit as this really should have been a recall by Chrysler. This car, although 5 years old, has only 16,000 miles on it and has always been kept in a garage.

Dale

Old 05-31-2011, 01:18 PM

My repair is over 6 months old on the second section, and 15 months on the original section. It is a class actionable complaint and issue to safety and we should find an attorney that will represent the hundred or so of us...I am in if we can stir up some interest. Some attorney could make some real money if the could make them fix the issue correctly.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:10 AM

Originally Posted by Stevefromtyler
My repair is over 6 months old on the second section, and 15 months on the original section. It is a class actionable complaint and issue to safety and we should find an attorney that will represent the hundred or so of us...I am in if we can stir up some interest. Some attorney could make some real money if the could make them fix the issue correctly.
If anyone cares to start a list of members who would be prepared to employ a lawyer for a class action suit, count me in.
I am initially going to try the D.I.Y. repair recommended on this post, and see how that works out. Failing that, I will buy a new one.

Old 06-01-2011, 08:48 AM
Received 74 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by TerryR
If anyone cares to start a list of members who would be prepared to employ a lawyer for a class action suit, count me in.
I am initially going to try the D.I.Y. repair recommended on this post, and see how that works out. Failing that, I will buy a new one.
New tops for all of my friends!
Let's throw in some "pain and suffering" in there too!
We shouldn't have to go through this!

Old 06-01-2011, 05:52 PM

I just had Ashley's replaced for the 2nd time. Mine has been replaced twice.

Old 06-02-2011, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by RMADERMAN
I just had Ashley's replaced for the 2nd time. Mine has been replaced twice.
Sadly I've had to have my top replace twice also. Both times that damn rear window falling out, not paying for another I'll just leave the top down

Old 06-03-2011, 08:03 PM
Forum Regular

Do you guys with rear window problems drive often with top up and the windows down?

Old 06-04-2011, 12:03 AM

Originally Posted by arejohn
Do you guys with rear window problems drive often with top up and the windows down?
Never, never, never.

Old 06-04-2011, 08:25 PM

Decided to join the Crossfire Forum as I purchased a 2005 ragtop recently and of course--my back window is falling out! UGH! Glad to know I am not the only one with this issue. Would be VERY happy to be a part of hiring an attorney to file a law suit. This is definitely a manufacturing issue that should be resolved by Chrysler. In the meantime I will need to start down the path of contacting BBB and Chrysler to advise them of this issue. Thank you all for your comments. I am encouraged that I'm not alone, yet disappointed that so many of us have had the same issues.....

Old 06-04-2011, 08:50 PM

Originally Posted by amore01@satx.rr.com
Decided to join the Crossfire Forum as I purchased a 2005 ragtop recently and of course--my back window is falling out! UGH! Glad to know I am not the only one with this issue. Would be VERY happy to be a part of hiring an attorney to file a law suit. This is definitely a manufacturing issue that should be resolved by Chrysler. In the meantime I will need to start down the path of contacting BBB and Chrysler to advise them of this issue. Thank you all for your comments. I am encouraged that I'm not alone, yet disappointed that so many of us have had the same issues.....

Hey WELCOME to the world of Crossfire! Glad you found us not glad that you are already having a problem with your XF. Where are you located? Somewhere hot?

The issue with the top glass separating is aggravating and many of us are shelling out for new tops or repairs. Getting Chrysler to do something about this issue would be fantastic! Does anyone know what we would actually have to do to get this done? What could we hope for as far as a resolution?
Any members out there that are lawyers and would do this pro bono?

BTW I just discovered another area on my window that is separating. Time to find that tube of goo.

Old 06-04-2011, 09:19 PM

Sorry you are still having these issues with your window. Yes, I live in a hot climate--San Antonio, Texas! I did have a guy work on the window that does car detailing work. But the stuff he put on the window hasn't held. I will try your fix but still--it's a bandaid at best. Allbeit, I would be able to drive the car! Thanks so much for your info!

Old 06-05-2011, 04:26 PM

well, i cleaned my garage today and had to park my normally garaged 2005 roadster outside on the driveway in 90 degree florida sunshine. it had only been parked outside for about 6 hours when i first noticed that the rear window had separated from the canvas -- wtf! the entire bottom and each side had completely separated, while the top had about 2 feet still attached... i then did a forum search and discovered that this was a very typical problem, and by all accounts, an original design/manufacturing flaw!

so, ok, i've read everything on this thread from beginning to end. that said, what is the concensus on the best method for fixing this problem?

lastly, does anyone happen to know if the ragtop is of german or american manufacture?

Thanks for your anticipated help. Bob

Old 06-05-2011, 04:37 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
No. Why would you?

Old 06-05-2011, 09:53 PM

Originally Posted by mach2plus
so, ok, i've read everything on this thread from beginning to end. that said, what is the concensus on the best method for fixing this problem?

I like my fix. STILL holding strong 1.5 years where I repaired it. (another unrepaired section is currently in need of repair).

LINKY

Old 06-06-2011, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1

I like my fix. STILL holding strong 1.5 years where I repaired it. (another unrepaired section is currently in need of repair).

LINKY
Thanks for your write up and the fact that it is still holding up after 1.5 years. Given your info I did a lot of research and 3M, the manufacturer of the product that you used, 3M windo-weld 08609, recommends that you first use a primer on the glass prior to the windo-weld application. The recommended primer is 3M One step primer 08681.

Now, this all is beginning to make some sense, because when my rear window popped out i noted that none of the adhesive remained stuck to the canvas top, but that all of the adhesive was stuck to the window. Closer examination showed that the adhesive was actually stuck to what appeared to be a thin grayish black tape about 1/2 inch wide around the entire window edge. when i took a razor to it all that tape was a freakin bear to remove, while the adhesive on top of it came off much easier. After doing more research, I am absolutely convinced that what i originally thought was tape is actually a dabbing of glass primer put on prior to the adhesive at the factory. A quick look at the 3m website primer chemical composition sheet pretty much confirmed this, as once the primer MEK evaporates, it will leave a compound stuck to the glass that will look like thin tape, and promote the adhesive sticking to the glass. Maybe other forum members might confirm this?

Now, the million $$ question: Did you use any primer prior to using the 3M windo-weld?

BTW, the 3M Single Step Primer costs about $30, too include shipping.

Thanks again -- Bob

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?