Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 08-11-2013, 10:10 AM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Originally Posted by lildaddym
Interesting...according to your profile, you don't live in one of the states that's covered by the 'recall'...what kind of mileage do you have on your car?

He has the "letter." This should mean the car was origonally delivered to a dealer in one of the approved southern states.

Old 08-16-2013, 06:40 PM

GREAT THREAD
I am SO glad I ran across this thread. I went outside and checked my rear window and yep... its coming apart where the glass meets the fabric. I just contacted Chrysler support because when I called the dealer they had no idea about it, and they verified my VIN was under the extended warranty and that I would need to take it to a authorized dealer and pay the diagnostics fee in order for them to verify its covered. I sure hope its covered!!!

Old 09-04-2013, 05:03 PM

i got my 05 in March. i knew of the problem with the window from this forum.
when i did the test drive i had looked at the window and there was a bit of curl in the top along the top of the window.
after looking closer after i got the car it appears someone had re-glued the window at some point.
last month the top edge of the window was completely detached.
i went to the dealer before calling the Chrysler support and like others the dealer had no idea.
i gave them my vin on a saturday and monday they called to tell me they ordered the top and my car was covered.
2 weeks later and my new top is on.
the paper work i saw when signing for the car showed the top cost a bit over $1000.00 and the warranty covered $137 of mechanics time.
the total warranty work ticket was $1212.00 and i had no charge. fully covered.
i purchased my car in PA but it was sold new in Alabama ( according to Carfax ).
this is most likely why my experience was so easy.
the dealer was Hanover Dodge in Hanover PA if anyone wants to know where i got it done.
i have purchased cars from them in the past and have had good results from their service department.

Old 09-04-2013, 05:14 PM
Administrator
Received 972 Likes on 758 Posts

$1,200 for a new top? That sounds about $1,000 lower than what I've heard.

But in any event, it is good to hear of a GOOD DEALER!

Old 09-09-2013, 05:56 PM

I just purchased a 2005 and took it to the dealer, said my vin was not in the recall so I have to keep on re-gluing the window back in

Old 09-09-2013, 08:02 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Rets
I just purchased a 2005 and took it to the dealer, said my vin was not in the recall so I have to keep on re-gluing the window back in
I get so sick of hearing this. Chrysler is not convincing me to ever buy another of their products.

Old 09-09-2013, 10:38 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Hey.. how about you guys and gals that have gotten the warranty letter... or got a top replaced with no "Chrysler BS" start a list of the "golden states" that do qualify.. When time comes to buy a roadster that will be part of my criteria for purchase and it would be nice to have.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Hey.. how about you guys and gals that have gotten the warranty letter... or got a top replaced with no "Chrysler BS" start a list of the "golden states" that do qualify.. When time comes to buy a roadster that will be part of my criteria for purchase and it would be nice to have.
Florida and most southern states have a program, but I believe if you make enough trouble for them, they will install a new top for free. They did for me.

I just heard of another person who had to contribute $500. but thats a deal as a new top installed is 2k

Old 09-10-2013, 04:50 PM

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I get so sick of hearing this. Chrysler is not convincing me to ever buy another of their products.
As I just said in the post above yours, you need to contact Chrysler customer relations. Make a lot of noise, but politely. There is NO recall letter, but there is a program and they replace my top for FREE. The dealer said there was no program, but they all know about it as most Chrysler dealerships deal with this on an ongoing basis. Befriend the service manager, then call corporate customer relations...good luck.

Old 09-10-2013, 05:25 PM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
This is a Chrysler product in name only, but that should not stop them honoring any long term issues with a product with their logo on it. At the same time it would be financially beneficial for them to spread the pain over as long a period as they could and hope some claimants give up.

How long a time period is it after which they can say they are finished with the problem? That may be the next question as the cars age and fall apart. Could you expect a new lid on a rusted and worn out car, my guess is no. How long is a southern car covered for damage to the interior due to the sun, my guess is no more than mine.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:06 PM
Administrator

Well, I agree Dave (and the rest of you). Just to be clear, my top is NOT a problem, I just hate to hear that some get new tops and others don't.

Old 09-10-2013, 06:08 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Yottlover
There is NO recall letter, but there is a program and they replace my top for FREE.
Right, I guess it is NOT a 'recall', but I DO have the warranty letter at home on both of my 05 Roadsters telling me I am under warranty for window problems for ten years and 100,000 miles.

But I'm at 95,000 now.

Old 09-11-2013, 11:30 AM
Forum Regular

"This is a Chrysler product in name only" Hummm. Built by MB while MB owned Chrysler. Is it time to address the issue with those that created it?

Old 09-11-2013, 11:51 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by arejohn
"This is a Chrysler product in name only" Hummm. Built by MB while MB owned Chrysler. Is it time to address the issue with those that created it?

I know how you feel, but in the divorce, Chrysler got the shaft and the problem.

Old 09-11-2013, 07:06 PM
Exclamation Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Hi Guys -
I am in Australia and don't have this Recall or Letter you speak of. Getting back to the original problem, can anyone name an actual product to use on the rear window? I have tried using black Silicone, which lasted about 2 days and I have also taken it to a glazier twice. First time was a complete fail and second time left the passenger side glued but the drivers side came apart within a week. I hear people speaking of a 3M product. Is this available in Australia and can it compete with the extreme heat? Any feedback would be appreciated :-)

Old 09-11-2013, 07:10 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Anna-K
Hi Guys -
I am in Australia and don't have this Recall or Letter you speak of. Getting back to the original problem, can anyone name an actual product to use on the rear window? I have tried using black Silicone, which lasted about 2 days and I have also taken it to a glazier twice. First time was a complete fail and second time left the passenger side glued but the drivers side came apart within a week. I hear people speaking of a 3M product. Is this available in Australia and can it compete with the extreme heat? Any feedback would be appreciated :-)

Ummm... You don't play tennis by chance do you?

Old 09-13-2013, 05:56 PM

There is another thread on this same subject. Bottom line, if you are in the U.S. with a 2005 and an extended warranty (10 yrs, 100,000 miles) there is a TSB where you can get the soft top replaced.

Old 09-13-2013, 07:33 PM
Received 611 Likes on 511 Posts

Originally Posted by InTheMidst
There is another thread on this same subject. Bottom line, if you are in the U.S. with a 2005 and an extended warranty (10 yrs, 100,000 miles) there is a TSB where you can get the soft top replaced.
I'm sure that everyone here with this problem will be glad to hear this.

Old 10-08-2013, 06:23 PM

Used the 3m and edged it with Gorilla waterproof glue, it's been a week up and down everyday so far so good!

I did use southern technical tape (black duck tape) on the inside to help keep the weight of window from pulling it apart just a back up plan

Old 10-27-2013, 06:37 PM

I'm not sure if anything came of the class action stuff... Does anyone know if a recall was ever made? I guess I have to count myself lucky since my '06 is only now showing signs of separation. I keep it garaged, but it does get baked out in the Texas sun daily. I'm guessing that the best solution is to get it re-glued soon, prior to it coming off all the way. Just not so sure how to clamp it up. Anyone have pictures of the clamping arrangement? Thanks!

Update - not Texan by birth, but got here as soon as I could (the car that is). :-)

Chrysler said that mine is not one of the "covered" VINs. :-( Will continue the writing campaign a little longer... The window is only now showing signs of separation, so if I get a little glue in the gap I should be ok... for a while. The same question I had earlier is still applicable. Anyone know how to hold the window in place until it sets up?

Last edited by Chasmanian; 11-13-2013 at 10:24 PM. Reason: I stand corrected - not an old post. Sorry.

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?