Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 01-13-2013, 12:11 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

mine is a sky blue, 2005, with 75,000 miles. As I stated earlier I spoke with to customer service people (customer service ha ha) and one supervisor and my window has been denied. I admit I lovre car. I am going to try a 2 part adhesive. I will open top toexpose window seperation in corners, glue and close top which tightens the window. I don't want to clamp because that has to be done with the top open and I believe when it is closed it has a pulling presure on the corners.

Old 01-13-2013, 01:05 PM

My best suggestion is NOT to try to glue it. It will fail. Maybe not in the first few months but it WILL fail. Try calling the 800 number I listed below and try going through Chrysler one more time. You may have better luck.

Hope so for your sake, a new roof is 1600 and 2200 from Chrysler

Old 01-13-2013, 01:20 PM
Administrator
Received 972 Likes on 758 Posts

Originally Posted by Jim A
mine is a sky blue, 2005, with 75,000 miles. As I stated earlier I spoke with to customer service people (customer service ha ha) and one supervisor and my window has been denied. I admit I lovre car. I am going to try a 2 part adhesive. I will open top toexpose window seperation in corners, glue and close top which tightens the window. I don't want to clamp because that has to be done with the top open and I believe when it is closed it has a pulling presure on the corners.
Slow down.

The letters I got from Chyrsler telling me of the warranty on my two cars gave a number of 800-247-9753 and it specifically says: "This letter is to inform you that the warranty period on your 2005 Chrysler Crossfire Roadster convertible has been extended to 10 years or 100,000 miles...."

It tells us to keep the letter and bring it with us to the dealer. When I get a minute, I can scan it (but there IS a scanned copy on the forum here, somewhere...)

Have you tried the phone number above? Don't give up, Lars over in Norcross got HIS replaced and he had no letter!

I can scan my letters and send them to you, you can ask "why was this car in Georgia covered and mine is not -for the same problem?????"

Gotta run, back later tonight.

Old 03-04-2013, 01:04 PM
Default Re: Rear Window Convertible Top Reinstallation Narrative

Originally Posted by mach2plus
Rear Window Convertible Top Reinstallation/Repair Narrative
Well, I reattached my rear window to my convertible top and now only time will tell how long my repair will last... But hey, the ragtop was in like new condition, so it was worth a try, given that a new top will set you back $2 grand or so. And besides, only we motor heads know the sort of sick satisfaction one feels in being covered in sticky black adhesive and smelling like gas, right?
Total Cost: $50
Total Time: About 2 Hours
Parts and equipment required
Caulking Gun
Several Single Edge Razor Blades
Window Cleaner
Several clean rags
Several towels
Dabber (I used an acetone cleaned PVC cement can dabber)
one tube 3M brand # 08609 Windo-Weld Super Fast Urethane Adhesive (Autozone $19)
one bottle 3M brand #08681 Single Step Primer (via internet, Fox Run Tools $29 delivered)
one roll masking tape, 3/4 wide or so
regular screw driver, about 3/8 inch wide tip
stop watch or timer
some gasoline for cleaning up mistakes and hands
Step-by-step Repair
Note: I would recommend that you read these instructions thoroughly before proceeding, and that you do a dry run beforehand, so you know the procedure and are assured that this technique is applicable to your situation.
1. Leave the top in the fully closed and locked position, and place both of your car seats as far forward as possible.
2. You will note in my pictures that I used both cork liner material and towels inside the rear window area. I used the cork liner so that: (a) the window could drop down and I could have room to apply the primer to both the glass and canvas, and (b) to protect my car finish from the window edge and any possible primer drips (which didn't happen). I removed the cork after applying both the primer and adhesive, and then placed the towels against the window to support it while I squeezed the adhesive out and while it cured overnight. I also used the towels for window support while I scrapped the old primer and adhesive out. note: my window was still securely attached for about 2 feet along the top, so I just popped the unattached portion of the glass outside of the canvas for better access while scrapping. Your situation may be different, but remember that there are 2 defroster wires located on each side of the window, so be careful! Thankfully, the factory left some slack in my cables, but the connections are fragile. BTW, I couldn't detach my connectors.
4. Using masking tape, place tape all along the edge of the window, about 3/8 inch from the edge of the old primer line (see picture), which should be visible on the outside edge of your window. Use a single edge razor to trim the tape as necessary. This tape will give the new primer a sharp clean edge, and later serve as a real good way of orienting the window in the canvas opening.
5. Now, using single edge razors, remove all of the old adhesive and the primer from the window edge. At first thought this may appear to be an easy task, but it's not, as the old primer is a freaking PITA to remove! Once it is all removed from the glass, use a razor to scrap the canvas where the original window adhesive used to be attached. Go back and forth, keeping the razor edge 90 degrees to the canvas, and scrap as much of the old, loose adhesive off as possible.
5. Clean the glass until it is spotless, and the canvas as best you can, removing any loose debris, etc. I used an ammonia based glass cleaner, acetone, and some clean lint free rags on the glass, and some lint free rags and some sticky masking tape (as tack) to clean the canvas.
7. Protect the interior of your car surface somehow (see 2, above). Shake the 3M Single Step Primer until you can hear the ball rattle freely, and then continue shaking for 60 seconds. Using a dabber (this is the key to a perfect primer application), apply the primer from the window edge right up to the masking tape. It goes on very smoothly and evenly, and this step couldn't be easier. The 3M Primer instructions, found on the internet, also said that the primer could be used on metals, plastics, and PVC, so I also applied the primer to my canvas where the adhesive would eventually be. Now, hack your watch and let it all dry for a minimum of 10 minutes (see primer instructions!). After the primer has dried, simply pull the masking tape off and marvel at the nice clean primer straight edge you created!
8. This step is the hardest part, so prepare for it. Using the caulking gun, apply the 3M Windo-Weld Urethane close (but not on the window edge. Remember, you will be squeezing most of it out) to the edge of the glass, directly on the primer. I applied a thick 1/4 to 3/8 inch bead. Once completely applied along your window edge, used a single edge razor to flatten the adhesive out slightly, and then, using your towels inside your car, place them against the glass so that the window is now flush up against the canvas opening, and offering firm support. Now, using your fingers and working quickly while the adhesive is still workable (see instructions), press the canvas against the adhesive along the entire window edge, using your new primer edge, as necessary, for orientation within the opening. I did this 3 times with my fingers around the canvas edge, and by feeling the edge of the glass through the canvas, you will definitely be able to tell how much glass/canvas adhesive contact area you have established. Once satisfied with my window orientation, I then used a flat (straight) screwdriver edge to further press the adhesive onto the canvas all along the glass/canvas contact area, and as you can see in the pictures, all the excess adhesive comes out from under the canvas edge onto the glass, where you can later remove it perfectly, once it is cured (step 9).
Note: I originally thought that this step was going to be way more complicated, and that I was going to have to devise some sort of clamping system to hold the glass (which is curved) and adhesive together until it was cured. But having experimented with the primer and adhesive the previous day, I learned that the adhesive (a fast curing urethane) was thick and extremely tacky, and that it wouldn't be necessary to use any clamping system at all (fortunately, this all proved to be true) The towels behind the glass proved more than adequate in holding the glass in place, and I didn't need to use any suction cups to hold the glass taut. BUT, you need to work quickly here, as the urethane sets up quickly, so keep pressing the canvas down in a manner that squeezes the excess urethane out from under the canvas and on to the glass, where you can later remove it after it dries. You can now see the importance of using the masking tape too, as it allows you to make a perfectly clean primer line, which allows you to orient the window perfectly in the canvas opening.
9. I waited 24+ hours for the Windo-Weld Adhesive to cure before attempting to remove the excess. Using a single edge razor, CAREFULLY cut (trim) the excess adhesive where it meets the canvas. Your first series of cuts will be straight down and into the adhesive directly along the canvas edge where the excess adhesive meets the canvas. This adhesive is some freaking tough stuff, so it may take you several cuts into the excess adhesive until you get through it and contact the glass. Now, CAREFULLY trim under the excess adhesive, cutting it (and the primer) just up to the point where you made your first downward cut. This is critical, as you don't want to cut out any of the adhesive which is under the canvas, which is obviously securing the window to the canvas. You'll get the knack. Now, refer to the picture, and holding your single edge as shown, remove the excess adhesive that you've now prepped for removal. By holding the razor as shown, you will not cut the canvas, and will cleanly remove the excess adhesive. Once the majority of the adhesive is removed, you can then spot trim and clean as necessary.
As can be seen from my final picture, I removed all of the primer and adhesive right up to the canvas edge, and I can't tell my window reinstallation from factory new. Now, we'll see how long it lasts...
Best regards -- Bob

Hi Folks.

Having posted this as a possible fix a year and a half ago, I am happy to report today that the rear window on my 2005 SRT-6 hasn't budged one bit since the day I repaired it, and that it appears to be rock solid (fingers crossed). So, for those of you that are having issues with your rear window detaching from its convertible fabric and are not covered by the extended warranty available to owners of some 2005 Crossfires originally sold in a few southern states, I think that this fix might prove to be a "permanent" (if there is such a thing...) and relatively cheap solution to this very annoying manufacturing defect.

Many thanks to those of you who have taken the time and effort to report this problem up the chain-of-command and provided some 2005 owners recourse as a result.

Best regards -- Bob

Old 04-03-2013, 09:38 AM

Just spoke with Chrysler about my back window issue. It has been repaired once already and if it separates again, they said they will replace the whole top. My 2005 has 58,000 miles so it will be covered for 28 more months should if come apart again. I have had trouble with my seat heaters, my radio, my hydraulic lifters for the top and a couple of issues with the engine. Since my car was in immaculate condition with low mileage CHrysler gave me a $3000 allowance to repair all of those issues a couple of years ago. I have found them to be very easy to work with.

Old 04-12-2013, 06:14 PM

Originally Posted by Yottlover
Try calling Chrysler at this number 800-992-1997. Be nice and polite and explain you issue. It took a total of 4 days to get this issue resolved. Its a knows problem and they will stand behind the car. It helps to have a good dealer but the Chrysler Corp should replace it for you.
I followed Yottlover's advice on calling Chrysler customer service and being nice. Guess I'm lucky, my Crossfire is an 05 and I live in a southern state. Has less than 22k miles on it and it sounds like Chrysler is going to fix it, we shall see!

Old 04-12-2013, 09:44 PM

I have a used top that's got no issues for sale. Make reasonable offer!

Old 04-13-2013, 01:52 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wish you had talked to me a month ago! I don't know what to offer for your top...

Old 04-13-2013, 08:11 AM

Originally Posted by gehoben
I have a used top that's got no issues for sale. Make reasonable offer!
Thanks for the offer! The dealer sounded positive about warranty replacement so will follow that option first. Sure that with so many with the same defect, you'll have no problem selling rather quickly.

Old 04-14-2013, 02:53 PM

Good luck! Persistence!

Old 05-05-2013, 09:26 PM

I just stated having problems with the rear window in my 2005 Crossfire and today I went out and all but the top had turned loose and so now the window is falling out. I've read through the forum but not really sure what I should do to fix the problem or get it fixed. Any new ideas or suggestions?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:51 AM
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Try calling Chrysler at this number 800-992-1997 if your car was originally sold in southeastern USA; otherwise, take it to a local reputable Chrysler dealer and ask for the Service Manager. My car was originally sold in northwest and not covered by extended warranty program and the service manager dealt with Chrysler and I paid a $200 co-pay for a new installed roof.

Old 05-06-2013, 06:07 AM

Originally Posted by waynen
I just stated having problems with the rear window in my 2005 Crossfire and today I went out and all but the top had turned loose and so now the window is falling out. I've read through the forum but not really sure what I should do to fix the problem or get it fixed. Any new ideas or suggestions?
There are several posts that show the 800 number for Chrysler. Since your car is a 2005 it is covered by the recall on all 05 Crossfire Roadsters. You should have no problem.

Just go to your dealer, get an quote on replacement and ask them to have their warranty person contact Chrysler for the warranty coverage. If you have no luck, keep the quote and call yourself. It should be all fixed in a couple weeks.

Old 05-06-2013, 01:20 PM
Forum Regular

"recall on all 05 Crossfire Roadsters"

All? Have I missed something?

Old 05-06-2013, 02:26 PM

My rear window fell out last Saturday of my 2006 Roadster. Called Chrysler but no help. Went to the BBB and looks like you can not file a complaint against Chrysler. I file a complaint with the NTSB.

Old 05-07-2013, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by cbushjr56
My rear window fell out last Saturday of my 2006 Roadster. Called Chrysler but no help. Went to the BBB and looks like you can not file a complaint against Chrysler. I file a complaint with the NTSB.
Did you call the special 800 number that is listed here in the forum? The dealer will tell you there is no warranty but if you call the Chrysler Customer Relations number you should get some help. Especially if you and your car are located in the South...Check further in the forum for the 800 number...

Old 05-07-2013, 01:55 PM

Originally Posted by sctr
I followed Yottlover's advice on calling Chrysler customer service and being nice. Guess I'm lucky, my Crossfire is an 05 and I live in a southern state. Has less than 22k miles on it and it sounds like Chrysler is going to fix it, we shall see!
Chrysler replaced the entire roof. Apparently there was a warranty replacement issued for 2005 models in 5 southern states. For some reason, although my Crossfire was originally purchased in one of the qualifying states, for some reason my VIN number wasn't included. I had an extended Chrysler warranty that expired the week after the window fell out, but as it was, I was covered. My dealer was extremely supportive as were the people at Chrysler customer service. Good luck!

Last edited by sctr; 05-07-2013 at 01:57 PM. Reason: correct spelling
Old 05-08-2013, 05:32 PM

Called Chrysler yesterday and explain that the rear window on 2006 Roadster fell. Was told it would be forwarded to a supervisor and I would receive a call back with in i business day. Received call today and was told no help, but keep all receipts in case of a recall or extended warranty. If everybody that has a roadster would fill with the NSTB or safercar.gov maybe something can get done. As of today there is only 11 complaints for the 2006 Chrysler Roadster, need more people to file complaints if you have problems with the rear window.

Old 05-17-2013, 06:55 PM

Rear window in my 2005 roadster has started to separate like so many others. Called Chrysler. Told nothing they could do as the vehicle is out of warranty (71k miles) and NO recalls have been issued not even in the southern states previously mentioned in this forum. I'm in Southern California.

Filed a complaint and went on to file a complaint with NHTSA. This IS a safety issue.

I will try to find someone to do the adhesive repair talked about here. The top itself is in GREAT shape.

Old 05-20-2013, 04:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Yottlover
There is NO extended warranty on anything but the 2005 Crossfires. All other model years with top problems have to go thru Chrysler for each occurrance.
Guess that explains my inquiry with a dealer in Texas.. it's an 06 model. Are Texas birthed cars under the 05 warranty?
I have yet to see a full list of covered states..

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?