Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Roadster rear window problem solved?

Old 07-10-2012, 01:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Roadster rear window problem solved?

Just another window detach victim chiming in. Original owner (in July 2004) of a 2005 roadster limited purchased from a WI dealer and titled and driven almost all 130K miles in MD. Separation just started on the lower corner of the driver's side. I'll check in with Chrysler but, based on this thread, I don't expect any help unless I bring my checkbook.

It looks like three home fixes are being discussed:

1. 3M Window-weld (including using the primer) - courtesy of mach2plus on 06-12-2011
2. Rhino Glue CA - from SETTER on 07-23-2011, and now
3. Loctite 5572 - from TrippleJ on 07-05-2012

It looks like TrippleJ is the first to try Loctite and will do so shortly. Can anyone provide updates on the 3M and Rhino Glue CA fixes? Anyone with thoughts to share about Loctite? I am tempted to try Rhino Glue CA first, but with TrippleJ breaking new ground on the forum with Loctite, is there something about 3M and Rhino I should know?

Any thoughts to share? I am curious and don't want to have to do it a second time!

Thanks!

Last edited by JohnnyE; 07-10-2012 at 02:49 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 01:53 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Glad to see another '05 roadster owner! We have 110K on hours...OK, back to your regularly scheduled thread...

Old 07-11-2012, 07:02 PM

I have just checked the Loctite 5572 repair I did to one third of my rear window and all looks great (after one week of glue cure) when I cycle the rear window during the first stage of the top park function I checked after day 3 of the repair and noticed I had been a little stingy on glue at the lower glass corner. Added glue as required at day 3 inspection and left the top up till today. The glue is hard but flexible.
It looks great and will be cycled daily till the end of the summer..
I will report any deterioration of the glue line. No news is good news.
I hope everyone is enjoying a great hot summer

Old 07-11-2012, 07:37 PM

How are you guys keeping the edge against the window until the glue dries?

Old 07-11-2012, 10:34 PM

A 3 inch Diameter of Paper towel roll did the trick to get enough pressure from the inside of the car. It would be easy to give too much pressure on the inside glass and push the fabric top away from the glass on the outside. I used a roll of toilet paper for inside Light pressure further up the side of the glass. On the outside of the glass I was able to apply pressure first by finger against the fabric to spread the glue and then applied a strip of Duct tape.
I came back in about 20 miniutes and gave a little push to the glue line which had began to set-up.
I am pleased with the result but caution everyone it is too early to call this a perminant fix.
I would have preferred to do a test strip but as my roadster is a 08 I do not hear anything about Chrysler standing behind the the top failure problem on any cars but southern delivery 05's.
Mine is the only 08 with this problem to date that I have found any mention of, even though the car was a Florida Delivery.
I had high hopes someone would offer a two piece inner and outer decorative trim ring for a Crossfire.
Too Bad Chrysler would not invest in a way to complement the look and functionality of the top while offering a fix for a major design shortcoming.
It would fix the problem top's and stop the future failures of later model years 06. 07 and 08's.

Old 07-11-2012, 11:08 PM

Ok...thanks for the tip! I would use some of our bath towels, but I wouldn't want to get glue on them!

Old 07-12-2012, 04:17 AM

Originally Posted by lildaddym
How are you guys keeping the edge against the window until the glue dries?
When I did my repair I used 2 paper towel rolls, did the job great.

Old 07-18-2012, 02:31 PM
Default Back glass unglued

Tropic Glass has been successfully reglueing these for over 2 years. We are based in SW Florida. Why replace the top when it just needs reglueing. For more information call 239 275 3747 or email tropicglass@embarqmail.com

Old 07-18-2012, 03:35 PM

For the 2005 owners, have you seen the thread "Roadster rear window TSB-Rev A"? The NHTSB ruling has been extended to cover all 2005's regardless of location. I am in 'discussion' with my dealer now, they admit is it covered but claim there is some kind of problem in thier records for the car and can't fix it until they sort that out.

If I didn't trust my dealer completely I would suspect they are stalling me . My car has been out of service for three weeks since the window fell out completely. Luckily I have a couple other vechicles but they aren't as fun to drive.

Old 07-18-2012, 04:25 PM
Default Re: Back glass unglued

That's good to know, but as I don't live anywhere near Florida -- I couldn't really make use of your services, even if I wanted to.

Could you at least, perhaps, share with our group the type of glue or adhesive your company uses when doing this repair? (It sounds like so far, at least a few people have had mixed results in the long run using the 3M Window Weld and primer.)

Originally Posted by Tropic Glass
Tropic Glass has been successfully reglueing these for over 2 years. We are based in SW Florida. Why replace the top when it just needs reglueing. For more information call 239 275 3747 or email tropicglass@embarqmail.com

Old 07-18-2012, 04:33 PM
Default Re: Back glass unglued

I agree, sir...and how one might make sure that things stay together as the adhesives set...

Originally Posted by kingtj
That's good to know, but as I don't live anywhere near Florida -- I couldn't really make use of your services, even if I wanted to.

Could you at least, perhaps, share with our group the type of glue or adhesive your company uses when doing this repair? (It sounds like so far, at least a few people have had mixed results in the long run using the 3M Window Weld and primer.)

Old 07-31-2012, 10:50 PM

Well, I'm really ok with doing a reglue job myself... so what is working the best, or does it matter:
It looks like three home fixes are being discussed:

1. 3M Window-weld (including using the primer) - courtesy of mach2plus on 06-12-2011
2. Rhino Glue CA - from SETTER on 07-23-2011, and now
3. Loctite 5572 - from TrippleJ on 07-05-2012

oh well...I just ordered the Rhino glue...bout made a mistake, cuz I had Gorilla glue picked up

Last edited by crossfireJOHN; 07-31-2012 at 11:17 PM.
Old 07-31-2012, 11:02 PM
Forum Regular

How many hours labor to replace a top? Is it impracticable to remove the roof to glue it? I had issues with glueiing wood and mending things with epoxy until I learned to clamp.

Old 07-31-2012, 11:22 PM

Clamping is an issue...gotta have the right tools, and I am not sure what to invest in.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:29 PM

I had mine glued in at a shop that does upholstery and convertible tops. (Lim's in Vienna VA). Just got it back today and it looks fine and seems to be holding. Over 90 today and I put the top down and back up without anything falling out. My window was released on top and both sides and they charged me $130. He said they use automotive weather stripping glue which sort of makes sense. Bobert here on the forum hooked me up with this place. When I picked my car up this evening there was another Xfire out front with the back window taped in. I think Lim's will be able to make a steady business out of this. Even if I have to get this fixed once a year I can live with it.

Dulles Chrysler in Leesburg VA refused to do anything for me and I have purchased 5 cars from them in the last 7 years. Won't be buying anymore there and getting any service other than warranty on the newer ones. Thinking about a new Dart next year but will buy from another dealer.

Old 08-13-2012, 08:59 PM

I finished my reglue job, it's not perfect, but it does look ok.
I used the Rhino glue. it's really super glue, just in a bulk size, i think.

I held the glass in place with paper towel rolls. and my fingers on the outside.
It takes a while to set up, but I think I used to much.
I'm happy for now.

Old 09-07-2012, 11:14 AM
jlw

I had a Sabb 900 se which had this problem. I used a sealant that is used to install windows in a hard top car. It never came out again. The sealant and method can be found in the Sabb site, do a search on google and you will find it.

Old 09-09-2012, 03:44 PM

Has Anybody Gotten A Class Action Suit Started Yet? The Chrysler Customer Service Gave Me The Run Around For Over 2 Months And Then Offered To Replace My Top For $700. I Had Previously Tried The 3M Window Weld But It Wouldn't Hold For Me.

Old 09-11-2012, 09:06 AM
jlw

The adhesive that I used on the Saab window was Sika brand. First you had to use Sika aktivator an hour before applying the adhesive. Sika has many brands of adhesive but I used Sika221 adhesive. You have to clean the window first and add a weight to press the fabric against the glass. It's not an easy job but it can be done.

Old 12-03-2012, 06:42 AM

Thanks to everyone whom contributed to this top window issue. I just had our top replaced under warranty with the help of this service bulletin...
This is another reason to visit this site on a regular basis... Interesting reading and correct facts from people just like ourselves enjoying life...

Quick Reply: Roadster rear window problem solved?