Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

Monday, heading for Colorado & mountains!

Old 07-25-2008, 10:41 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Monday, heading for Colorado & mountains!

We have had our red roadster for a little over a month now and on Monday, will be leaving the Tulsa area and it's 100 degree heat and heading for Denver and the Rockies for a week! It has been several years since my wife and I have been to Colorado but can't think of a better place to put the roadster thru its paces!

Over to Golden, Black Hawk, Central City and Highway 119/72/7 up to Estes Park and down the back side on 34/40 and back to Denver,

Also south of I70 on 74 to Evergreen and south on 73 to 285 south to 126 south to Deckers and south on 67 to Woodland Park and on 24 to Manitou Springs.

Just a couple of day trips I am looking forward to doing. There are GREAT roads all over! Gunnison, Montrose, Ouray, Silverton, Druango........ Only problem is, one week will just barely touch what we want to visit. But better on week than not at all!!!

Looking forward to getting some great pics of the roadster with some worthy background.

Old 07-26-2008, 04:01 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: Monday, heading for Colorado & mountains!

Have a great trip, done most of thoes on the sport bike never in my car. 550 is a must.

Old 07-26-2008, 05:01 AM
Forum Regular

Don't miss Trail Ridge Road out of Rocky Mountain National Park ( Estes Park). It's the highest altitude paved road in the U.S. 12,183 ft., 11 miles near or above 11,500 ft. Maybe next year do the San Juan Skyway out of Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride. Have a great trip. Maybe you'll run into Woody.

Last edited by chuck65; 07-26-2008 at 05:05 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:29 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

I highly recommend finding the time for this.......

The worlds highest auto road takes you to the top of Mt.Evans.
It is 30 miles west on Denver.
Check out this link "getting there"

All 14 miles of the road from the entrance station to the Mount Evans summit parking area (14,130) are paved.
From there, you can hike the last 130 feet (about 1/4 mile walk) to the top at 14,264 feet.

See how the Crossfire runs at high altitude but most especially take a lot of pics and post them in your gallery

Last edited by Valk; 07-26-2008 at 09:35 AM.
Old 07-26-2008, 09:53 AM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Monday, heading for Colorado & mountains!

Originally Posted by scott weber
Have a great trip, done most of thoes on the sport bike never in my car. 550 is a must.
Yea, me too. Any time that a bunch of us had time to ride, it was always in August. We would mount the bikes and head to Colorado.

First trip was in 1978 with a buddy on our new GS1000 Suzukis. Quite a ride for back then. I still have that old bike along with a Moto Guzzi Lemans, FZR600 and a FJ1200. Nothing current, but when you get me in the twisties, I can do things on the old Guzzi that a lot of the new riders can't. Get that rythym going, late apexes, haul a$$. I may be old, but I can still get it up! (on the rear wheel, that is)

My bikes were always jetted fat for our area and they would really suffer in the higher altitudes on some of the passes. Way too rich!

550 is unbelievable! I think they used to call it the "Million Dollar Highway". I guess back when it was made, a million dollars was a lot. Probably couldn't do a whole mile for that now.

Old 07-26-2008, 09:59 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by chuck65
Don't miss Trail Ridge Road out of Rocky Mountain National Park ( Estes Park). It's the highest altitude paved road in the U.S. 12,183 ft., 11 miles near or above 11,500 ft. Maybe next year do the San Juan Skyway out of Durango, Silverton, Ouray, Telluride. Have a great trip. Maybe you'll run into Woody.
Yea, Trail Ridge Drive (34) is THE road to drive in Colorado. That is what we will be doing the first day there. The last time I was in Estes Park, there was a Shriner Convention going on and I never saw so many Shriner Mobiles in my life! It was a continuous parade of gocarts, mini bikes, clown cars, Gold Wings, Harleys, those guys were having some fun!

Old 07-26-2008, 07:34 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Just found a thread where some Crossfires went up to Mt.Evans
Check out the photos here

Mt Evans Colorado 14,130 ft.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:30 AM

tdannar, Glad to see someone is on the way to Colorado. If you are going to be in the Colorado Springs area drop me a note. We are school bus drivers and still have a few days before we get back on the job, we would love to meet up for a drive.

Old 07-27-2008, 05:43 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blackberry
tdannar, Glad to see someone is on the way to Colorado. If you are going to be in the Colorado Springs area drop me a note. We are school bus drivers and still have a few days before we get back on the job, we would love to meet up for a drive.
blackberry, we should start a club. "School Bus/Black Crossfire Roadster Drivers of America . I've driven a school bus as a retirement job for the last 8 years. I drive for Head Start, 3,4, and 5 year olds. Fortunately I have a full time aid on my bus at all times and only about 10 students. Enjoy the rest of your summer. My wife is a teacher and we start back on Sept. 2 nd.

Old 07-27-2008, 06:40 AM

Good to meet another school bus driver, I too started in 2000. If you ever get out this way let me know, we are always looking for a reason for a raod trip. We start back to school Aug. 4th but we also have 2 weeks off in Oct., called fall break, a great time to put the Crossfire through its paces.

Old 07-27-2008, 09:24 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by blackberry
Sounds great!

My wife has to attend a workshop in Ada, Ok on Monday. We won't be able to leave from there until around 3-3:30 then we will drive to Amarillo and spend the night. We should be in the Colorado Springs area in the late afternoon, Tuesday.

Look forward to meeting you!

Check you PM

Old 07-27-2008, 10:15 AM
Forum Regular

I've driven all those roads, but never in anything as fun as a Crossfire. It will be a BLAST!

Old 07-27-2008, 01:04 PM

You are right gibsonjunkie, it is a blast in the mountains. I just need to remember not to push to hard. Sometimes I forget I'm not a race car driver but it sure makes you feel like you are. I haven't had this much fun since I was 21 with the Challenger, even though that was a different race altogether. Maybe some day you will get back out here and relive it in the Crossfire.

Old 08-04-2008, 09:24 PM
Forum Regular

Made it there and back!

Met Blackberry and significant other and had a blast running around the mountains. Took a few pics

Got as good as 28.5 mpg and as bad as 18 mpg when I was trying to keep up with Blackberry! I have done Deals Gap (the Dragon) on a motorcycle but cannot understand the fascination that everyone has of it when Colorado is available with a LOT more roads and the scenery is absolutely amazing.

Check gallery.

Old 08-05-2008, 06:27 AM

Just saw later thread....now I'll read it all.

Last edited by Erzer; 08-05-2008 at 06:58 AM.
Old 08-05-2008, 06:32 AM

Welcome to Colorado mountains TDanner. If you are in the western side of colorado. Drop me a line, One of the few down on this side of the mountains. If you get to the telluride area and need a place to stay I manage the rooms and guest services for a 238 room resort

Old 08-05-2008, 06:40 AM
Forum Regular

My last trip out there was 14 years ago. I had just bought a brand new Mustang, but with a wife and two kids and two weeks of stuff (plus LOTS of fishing gear) that wasn't going to work. Instead we rented a black Crown Victoria. While the driving experience left a lot to be desired, being able to go 80+ MPH with everyone jumping out of our way (thinking we were an unmarked police car) - priceless. We hit RMNP, I-70 west to Georgetown (The loop is one cool train ride), out 70 into Utah, route 128 along the Colorado River (Way-y-y cool road) into Moab, Arches National Park, Hovenweep Nat. Monument, the Four Corners area, Telluride, Black Canyon of the Gunnison, the 285 south route into South park and then 24 into Colorado Springs where we hit Pikes Peak; as well as an overnight fishing trip by myself to Hot Sulpher Springs to do some trout fishing!

When we returned that car to Hertz the lady couldn't believe we had put 6000 mile on it in two weeks. Thank God for unlimited mileage!