Crossfire Roadster A place to post Roadster specific topics.

rear glass seal broken

Old 06-02-2008, 08:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default rear glass seal broken

Hello guys,

It's been awhile. The car's been going great. Just gave her the first oil change since I've owned her. Wow, 8.5 quarts at $6.50/qt plus a $20 Daimler oil filter makes for an expensive oil change, but definitely worth it for this sexy little beast! I noticed this past weekend while on the interstate, with the top up, a little rattle of sorts coming from the rear area of the top. I assumed the rear latch hadn't closed all the way or was misaligned. After I parked the car, I noticed that in fact the actual rear glass had separated from top fabric. It appears that whatever bonding agent or seal has broken and about 30% of the total seal is gone. First, has anyone had this problem on here? The car is an 05 and I feel the top shouldn't even begin to see problems like this... very odd! I think our HOT temperatures and humidity are a factor as the car is kept clean and appears to have been maintained thoroughly throughout its short life. I have a Chrysler Service Contract and will bring it to the dealer hopefully tomorrow morning, just pissed about it. I suppose the $100 deductible is a lot better than the $1400+ cost of the top itself...

Anyways, I'll keep you guys posted.

Thanks,
Steven

Old 06-02-2008, 09:11 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: rear glass seal broken

Welcome aboard!

Yes, this issue has come up on this forum before.
Are you under warranty? They'll fix it.

You might want to get a "spare" top-I've seen them on ebay recently.
Or buy one from a parts house and store it. I'm not too sure how long they will be available.

Best of luck. And by the way, roadsters are cool, aren't they?

Old 06-02-2008, 10:04 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Cool Re: rear glass seal broken

I've thought about that as I drove in the colder weather with the top up and the windows down so I've opted to only drive it on good days with the top down or to keep the windows closed if the top is up...sounds sort of crazy, but I don't want the window coming loose - my Roadster is only 2 months old...good luck w/the warranty and I hope if covers it and they fix it well!

Old 06-02-2008, 12:30 PM

Well, brought the car to the dealership (where I use to work) on lunch break and they checked their computer for coverage. The maximum care Service Contract will replace the top/backglass under it's warranty. While it was being written up in the service area, I noted that the ignition key cylinder was sticking a lot lately. It actually stuck a little when I bought it but figured I'd deal with it later. Unfortunately, the top's location is in BFE, and I believe the same story on the lock cylinder... I guess I'll have to move the neon out of the garage and park the XF in case it rains... yeah, yeah, the XF should take precedence over the neon, but the neon's my baby and is currently undergoing a major overhaul (like the past four years worth, lol) I guess it's back to driving the Mitsu... I'll take some pics of the top before it gets replaced, and keep you guys posted.

peace,
Steven

Old 06-02-2008, 12:35 PM

what is BFE?

Old 06-02-2008, 01:56 PM

lol... bum f*ckin egypt