Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

Spring 2021 Dragon - Uncancelled - Sort Of

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2021, 01:18 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts
Default Spring 2021 Dragon - Uncancelled - Sort Of

The Dragon was cancelled...
Last year, I posted that I would not be able to host the Spring Dragon. I changed jobs again in 2020 and really did not see myself capable of taking the time off. Additionally, I am starting construction on a new home. I could not find anyone to take the event over and with such a big and successful fall Dragon, I concluded that a spring Dragon was not really needed anyway.

But wait, there's more...
While all the above holds true, fact is, I need a little vacation. After discussing the matter with several regular Dragon attendees, I called our contact at the Lodge and asked if they would be interested in offering discounted rooms for a small Crossfire Dragon non-event. The response was positive – we are appreciated by the lodge!

I think a ‘Mini-Meet’ could be fun, so I am announcing that there WILL be a “Crossfire Spring Dragon” for 2021 after all. Except, it really wont be an event… This will be a very informal meeting of a few friends. I expect no more than maybe ten or twelve cars, as this will be Easter weekend.

I settled on Easter weekend (April 1 to 4) for three reasons:
1) Our traditional weekend is the first weekend in April.
2) Past Easter weekends proved to be awesome, as the roads are pretty much empty.
3) My home construction project starts the following week; it is this or nothing.

This will be a Dragon unlike any other in the twelve years I have been attending. We will simply be a small group of friends with the love of a particular car in common. The best way to describe this event, is to tell you what this weekend will NOT offer.

This meet will not offer:
Driver’s meetings, safety lectures, volunteer run leaders, formal agenda, welcome table, signup sheets, door prizes, raffles, drawings, route maps, handouts, name badges or free stuff.
You should also not expect any of the following: intelligent conversation, dress code, dignified behavior or regard for speed limits.

While all are welcome, please understand this will not be what you expect in the Fall. Runs will not be led or organized like we usually do. There will be no “Driving Class”, or any concern for “not leaving people behind”.

Think of it this way: I and at least four others are going to run up to the Dragon and play around. I didn’t want to NOT announce this, as that might offend some people, “Why didn’t you tell us it was happening – you only got discounted rooms because of all of us who show up in the fall….” So, I am announcing that I am not announcing a spring Dragon.

I am, however, letting you all know that a few of us are just gonna go anyway.You may call 800-849-2258 to book a room, just mention “Chrysler Crossfires” to get the special rate of $92 a night, you might post in this thread, just so people know who is going, but there will be no “list of attendees”, no planning, just us.

There will be a small group of Crossfires at the Lodge from April 2-4 (I will show up Thursday night), if you want to show up, see you there.
If not, please join us for a BLOWOUT event this October, a great group of people are already planning THAT event!
Link to the fall event:
Click this Pizza-link to the event of the year!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-26-2021 at 10:37 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by pizzaguy:
bmccubbin (02-25-2021), UnDunnY2K (02-25-2021)
Old 02-25-2021, 01:30 PM
Administrator
Default Re: Spring 2021 Dragon - Uncancelled - Sort Of

I'm in.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:38 PM
Received 70 Likes on 34 Posts

I can make that commute in under 6 hours. Count me as a maybe.

Old 02-25-2021, 01:43 PM
Administrator

It'll take me way longer to fly from XNA to ATL to GSP, grab a car from JeffK, and drive up than that!

Old 02-25-2021, 08:03 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 621 Likes on 423 Posts

SO ....Are you driving your own Crossfire from Arkansas for this vacation at the Dragon Mark ??

Old 02-25-2021, 08:15 PM
Administrator

See post 4! (Actually, I could almost drive it in the time it will take to fly to ATL then to GSP and drive from there up to the Lodge. But that man hours behind the wheel no longer agrees with me.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 02-25-2021 at 08:32 PM.
Old 03-02-2021, 01:11 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Patrick and I will be going, if you want we can meet up with you on the way Mark, it is always easier to on those long hours driving if there are other people with you.

Old 03-02-2021, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Allen Madigan
Patrick and I will be going, if you want we can meet up with you on the way Mark, it is always easier to on those long hours driving if there are other people with you.
I'll probably fly in, I have a car reserved at Jeff's and I already bought my ticket. (Tho I can move my flight to another use for free.)

Old 03-07-2021, 02:29 PM
Received 18 Likes on 15 Posts

I might make a day trip out of it, ill try not get any more tickets

Old 04-05-2021, 07:48 PM
Administrator

Well, much to my surprise, the non-event was a success!

Attending was:

Pizzaguy - Mark - Bentonville, Arkansas
oakwood_xf - Tricia & Darrell - Oakwood, Georgia

Jeff K - Greer, South Carolina
Brandon and Mia - Western Carolina University

We had three cars, I was in Jeff's Base Roadster, Jeff was in Howard Carter's old Aeroblue SRT Roadster and Tricia/Darrell drove her SLK350.
Brandon and Mia were camping at Fontana and rode with Friday and Saturday as passengers.

We did the Skyway run but did it thru Joyce Kilmer and discovered a new overlook (built two years ago) that offered a breathtaking view. Traffic all weekend was as predicted: Almost non-existent. Our weather started off below freezing Saturday morning, but by Sunday afternoon, it was in the 70's.

Left to Right: Pizzaguy, Mia, Brandon, Jeff, Darrell and Tricia

We had three drivers and got one ticket - so our ticket to driver ratio was 1 to 3. I think this is the highest rate of citation we've ever had. I WARNED you people it would be like this, but I was just kidding.... I thought.

ONE LAST NOTE:
I could not meet the minimum room booking - the lodge worked with me on this and took into consideration the numbers we bring in the fall (and face it, they need 'heads in the beds" to pay their bills). So, we ended up getting a room rate close to what we pay in the fall. The lodge really takes care of us and I want everyone to know that. Additionally, I had high speed internet in my cabin - a FIRST. Sure, there were few people there dragging the bandwidth down, but I've never had ANY signal before. They are trying to improve things at the lodge, and are making some progress.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 04-05-2021 at 07:59 PM.
Old 04-05-2021, 08:25 PM
Administrator