Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2017, 09:32 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts
Default Re: 11th Annual Fall 2017 -Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

From The Weather Channel :

Old 09-28-2017, 09:45 AM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

Originally Posted by donsxfire
A thanks to Pizzaguy. He has graciously offered to loan us one of his radios for this trip. And to the authors of the Attendee Package: Very well done. Looks like alot of time and effort went into it. You may want to review the "Helpful Hints" section on Radios. From what I've gathered in this forum, you may not be able to find radios that will meet our needs for "as little as $30". We are looking forward to meeting everyone. Don and Lynn.
The package was a group effort - I'll take another look at that.

Old 09-28-2017, 09:53 AM
Administrator

I will TRY to publish here, before next Wednesday, and as early as possible, the list of routes.

Due to the contributions and efforts of our leaders (and we have two new leaders this time), there will be at least three new routes/runs that have not been tried before. The winery tour turned out to be too long and impractical, but learning things like that is part of the process and we now have three new ideas in addition to our 'classic' offerings.

Given the large group attending, and the larger assortment of leaders this time, I think we will offer so many options that you may have a hard time making up your mind.

Thanks to: Zack, Paul A, Franc, Ray and Susan, Michael, Andy, George and our stand-by leads Thorn and Paul D. As is always the case, I"m sure someone will stand up and say, "Im just gonna to here, then go there, anyone wanna tag along?" If you do that, then YOU are a contributing leader as well.

It should be quite a weekend.

Just keep in mind, the whiteboard in the lobby will be the source for:

Last-minute-announcements of changes,
Reminders of what is coming up,
and possibly a place to leave sticky notes to get a message to someone in particular (see the desk staff for sticky notes, you can stuff your cellphones in a 'sorry sack' cause they will be marginally effective at best up there!)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-28-2017 at 10:09 AM.
Old 09-28-2017, 10:07 AM
Administrator

^^^ Ok, done editing that post above! ^^^

Old 09-28-2017, 10:19 AM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I will TRY to publish here, before next Wednesday, and as early as possible, the list of routes.

Due to the contributions and efforts of our leaders (and we have two new leaders this time), there will be at least three new routes/runs that have not been tried before. The winery tour turned out to be too long and impractical, but learning things like that is part of the process and we now have three new ideas in addition to our 'classic' offerings.

Given the large group attending, and the larger assortment of leaders this time, I think we will offer so many options that you may have a hard time making up your mind.

Thanks to: Zack, Paul A, Franc, Ray and Susan, Michael, Andy, George and our stand-by leads Thorn and Paul D. As is always the case, I"m sure someone will stand up and say, "Im just gonna to here, then go there, anyone wanna tag along?" If you do that, then YOU are a contributing leader as well.

Just keep in mind, the whiteboard in the lobby will be the source for:

Last-minute-announcements of changes,
Reminders of what is coming up,
and possibly a place to leave sticky notes to get a message to someone in particular (see the desk staff for sticky notes, you can stuff your cellphones in a 'sorry sack' cause they will be marginally effective at best up there!)

We have a good group of leaders this year. As I read the list I could not help but remember one of the best.

Pacemaker.

RIP old friend.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:23 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher

Pacemaker.

RIP old friend.
Not one of the best, he was the best. In so many ways...

Wow, it hurt to read his name, even. I got chills writing this.

Old 09-28-2017, 10:31 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Not one of the best, he was the best. In so many ways...

Wow, it hurt to read his name, even. I got chills writing this.
Agreed. I added in my Saturday route description for Wheels Through Time that we would be coming back through Dillsboro and stopping for lunch at the Greek restaurant in honor of Jonathon. He LOVED that place !
( Kosta's Family Restaurant )

Old 09-28-2017, 10:44 AM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Any idea yet who is leading what routes? I have looked over the Attendee Package and I do have an idea of some routes I might want to do, however what might be more important to me is WHO is in my group.

Old 09-28-2017, 01:07 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by Crystal
Any idea yet who is leading what routes? I have looked over the Attendee Package and I do have an idea of some routes I might want to do, however what might be more important to me is WHO is in my group.
THIS .. was always a deciding factor for Sherri and I..

I guess no one has noticed how many people stand around discussing "which route" after "they" announce who is leading what run...

Old 09-28-2017, 01:14 PM
PNA

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
THIS .. was always a deciding factor for Sherri and I..

I guess no one has noticed how many people stand around discussing "which route" after "they" announce who is leading what run...
Mark (Pizza Guy) is putting together / updating the current draft of leaders and routes. Pretty sure he is going to post that in the coming days. It will also be in the lobby, but I expect people on here and facebook will see things before they leave / arrive. Thanks to Mark for all his efforts on this..............

Old 09-28-2017, 02:09 PM
Administrator

I can't answer such questions right now. We are planning and trying to figure out who will be doing what - and I sure cant' TELL anyone what to do. We are all volunteers, and all of us get continually criticized every time for doing what we do. This is why we have a few new leaders, cause our former leaders are not going to spend their vacation being told that their efforts are not good enough.

Even if I publish what we PLAN, the weather and other items can change the plans. In any event, signup sheets will appear in the lobby each evening, probably by 6pm, for the next days runs.

Old 09-28-2017, 02:17 PM

IMHO...I think all of you all are doing an excellent job. I've not had a single headache, planning for this GTG. Not so , I'm sure for the planning committee... lol. Like its been said ,"they're volunteers", an thank you for that. I'll just "show up" an thank you personally..

Old 09-28-2017, 02:41 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

To elaborate on PIZZA'S point, This is not a cruise on the Royale Caribbean(tm). The spring and fall Dragon meets are, and always should be, an Ad-Hoc gathering. See old friends, meet new ones. Jump on a route and enjoy the day. Later in the evening hear what you missed on the other routes and sign up for them next time.

The idea is have fun and come back again next year.

This year we have two days, maybe three, right in the sweet spot of the weather. In one of the sweetest spots on the planet Earth. Make the most of it.

Old 09-28-2017, 03:11 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

as far who going be in what group is kind like last minute thing with a lot people , they may sign up for one route but decide to go with another at last minute ,which is ok ! Franc got this right the weather going be great the people are going to be fun and going to be a great weekend , ( and it not like I don't know what your asking or talking about here ) so everybody just take a nice deep breath and breathe it going to be a lot fun

Old 09-28-2017, 03:19 PM

I can't answer such questions right now. We are planning and trying to figure out who will be doing what - and I sure cant' TELL anyone what to do. We are all volunteers, and all of us get continually criticized every time for doing what we do. This is why we have a few new leaders, cause our former leaders are not going to spend their vacation being told that their efforts are not good enough.

Even if I publish what we PLAN, the weather and other items can change the plans. In any event, signup sheets will appear in the lobby each evening, probably by 6pm, for the next days runs.
and most of who are leading know that we can not make everyone happy only you can do that so that why we say go explore have fun , if your in a group then relax have fun and be patient , WE ARE IN FOR A GREAT WEEKEND !!!!!!!! PEOPLE ( PARTY ON ! )

Old 09-28-2017, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
To elaborate on PIZZA'S point, This is not a cruise on the Royale Caribbean(tm). The spring and fall Dragon meets are, and always should be, an Ad-Hoc gathering. See old friends, meet new ones. Jump on a route and enjoy the day. Later in the evening hear what you missed on the other routes and sign up for them next time.

The idea is have fun and come back again next year.

This year we have two days, maybe three, right in the sweet spot of the weather. In one of the sweetest spots on the planet Earth. Make the most of it.
Amen ! To that ! Remind me to buy you a drink old friend

Old 09-28-2017, 03:47 PM
Administrator

We have at least three new runs. I will TRY to post info and maps when I can.

The leaders are not so much saying, "Ill take the X run"... they are saying, "I have my own ideas..."

So, the CHerohala/Dragon, the Run to the BBQ, the Wheels Thru Time Museum Run and Devil's Triangle/Dragon Run will all happen as usual. But what is different is that it looks like everything else will be new or a variation on an existing run that a leader has invented on their own.

Those of you who think it is all planned already are way off - I'm as interested in seeing what they come up with as anybody.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 09-28-2017 at 03:50 PM.
Old 09-28-2017, 04:11 PM

Well, what I really meant was that, this being my first Dragon, there are a only a handful of people I am comfortable with. I know this is DIFFICULT to believe (you will see when you meet me), but I am an introvert (Marc will attest to this). If I am comfortable around people, you will see me more talkative, but mostly I watch and listen, observe, even if I am comfortable around you. I am only really talkative around those whom I have known for a very long time. I know myself and if I am in a group with people that for the most part I do not know, I WILL be uncomfortable. If I can be in a group with one of the very small handful of people I am already comfortable with, then I might be okay. I don't mind meeting new people, but being at a party where you don't know anyone is kind of awkward, especially for me. When I am in that kind of situation, I find that the cliques get together and I largely get ignored. Again, this is my personal experience over my entire lifetime.

I know, "everyone is SO nice." I was teased heavily growing up, and I still have social phobia from that. So if I can be in a group with a few people who I feel very comfortable around, I will enjoy my time a lot better.

Old 09-28-2017, 04:38 PM
Unhappy Re: 11th Annual Fall 2017 -Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8

Well, what I really meant was that, this being my first Dragon, there are a only a handful of people I am comfortable with. I know this is DIFFICULT to believe (you will see when you meet me), but I am an introvert (Marc will attest to this). If I am comfortable around people, you will see me more talkative, but mostly I watch and listen, observe, even if I am comfortable around you. I am only really talkative around those whom I have known for a very long time. I know myself and if I am in a group with people that for the most part I do not know, I WILL be uncomfortable. If I can be in a group with one of the very small handful of people I am already comfortable with, then I might be okay. I don't mind meeting new people, but being at a party where you don't know anyone is kind of awkward, especially for me. When I am in that kind of situation, I find that the cliques get together and I largely get ignored. Again, this is my personal experience over my entire lifetime.

I know, "everyone is SO nice." I was teased heavily growing up, and I still have social phobia from that. So if I can be in a group with a few people who I feel very comfortable around, I will enjoy my time a lot better.
sounds kinda like me , and tell this that gets easier as life goes on , you will have great time , just jump in have fun , We are all Friends here ,

Old 09-28-2017, 05:32 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Okay.. I'll address the elephant in the room..

If you want to be a part of some great pics.. Go with Andy..

Quick Reply: 11th Annual Fall 2017 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - Oct 5,6,7,8