Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2015, 08:43 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4

A reminder i am going to do this run if enough people are interested on Saturday

Andys

"Road to nowhere, Bryson City & Deep Creek 3 Waterfalls run"

This will be an easy run, the journey time to the Road to nowhere is about an hour and is 41 miles. We will stop and look around the tunnel that leads to nowhere. The route up to the tunnel is nice and winding with some nice views once we get through Bryson City.
We will then head back into Bryson City (about 15 mins and 8 miles) and stop at the Everett Street Diner for brunch.
After brunch we will head on to the Deep Creek Waterfalls which is only about 10 mins and 3 miles from Bryson City. There is a parking lot there and good signs for the 3 falls.
We will head uphill on the trail to the Juney Whank Falls, this is not a long or too strenuous hike. We then head back down the next trail to Toms Branch Falls. Then a pleasant walk alongside a fast flowing river and over a bridge to Indian Creek Falls.
I have photographed all these falls and although they are not very high they are very picturesque and in nice settings. A nice stroll back along the other riverbank to the parking lot and then head back to the lodge which is a about 1 hour and 36 miles.

If we leave at 9am from the lodge we should be back by late afternoon.

Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-deep-creek-waterfalls.jpg   9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-road-nowhere-bridge-pic.jpg   9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-route.jpg   9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-waterfalls-picture.jpg  

Last edited by AKING57; 09-05-2015 at 08:52 PM.
Old 09-05-2015, 11:07 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by AKING57
A reminder i am going to do this run if enough people are interested on Saturday

Andys

This will be an easy run, the journey time to the Road to nowhere is about an hour and is 41 miles. We will stop and look around the tunnel that leads to nowhere. The route up to the tunnel is nice and winding with some nice views once we get through Bryson City.
We will then head back into Bryson City (about 15 mins and 8 miles) and stop at the Everett Street Diner for brunch.
After brunch we will head on to the Deep Creek Waterfalls which is only about 10 mins and 3 miles from Bryson City. There is a parking lot there and good signs for the 3 falls.
We will head uphill on the trail to the Juney Whank Falls, this is not a long or too strenuous hike. We then head back down the next trail to Toms Branch Falls. Then a pleasant walk alongside a fast flowing river and over a bridge to Indian Creek Falls.
I have photographed all these falls and although they are not very high they are very picturesque and in nice settings. A nice stroll back along the other riverbank to the parking lot and then head back to the lodge which is a about 1 hour and 36 miles.

15/8. 10/3. 60/36.

What, sir are you driving? A Humber?

Old 09-06-2015, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We'll probably join you for this run, as we have a long history with both Deep Creek and the Fryemont Inn from many years past. It's been quite a while since we've been there (years), so it will be most interesting to see if time has changed it much. Regrettably, I suspect it has!

Rob & Gabi Hoffman
Black SRT-6 Roadster
(our first X-Fire event, but the Dragon is an old 2-wheel adversary when we were a bit younger and crazier!)

Old 09-06-2015, 10:32 AM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Gary, Thanks for keeping up with the list in post #296.

Due to open seating arrangements, we are going with COACH CLASS on the Nantahala Gorge Trip on Oct 3 at 9:00.
In order to get group rates, we need 20 or more.
The Trip will sell out so please be sure to reserve early!
The clerk told me only food that will fit into a women's purse is allowed, no picnic baskets or coolers allowed.
When making reservations online, you can prepay for lunch, parking, and other souvenirs.

Make your reservation here >>Nantahala Gorge Excursion | Great Smoky Mountain Railroad

Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-form.jpg  

Last edited by Valk; 09-13-2015 at 10:30 PM. Reason: added link for reservations
Old 09-06-2015, 12:34 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 629 Likes on 430 Posts

Thanks for setting this up James
My reservation has been made and confirmed
Coach Class Train and prepaid parking
on Saturday Oct. 3 at 9:00am

See who is already going on the list in post #296.

Make your reservation here for October 3rd at 9am >>Bryson City / Nantahala Gorge Excursion

Note: We will need to leave the Fontana Lodge at 7:15am on Saturday for this activity.
It is an enjoyable drive to Bryson city which is 32 miles from our Lodge
There are several places to grab a quick breakfast in Bryson city according to the staff before we board the train.
The train will return to Bryson city at 1:30 pm so we will have the rest of the afternoon to do as we wish.
Bryson City and Cherokee our nice small towns to eat and shop at etc.

From the website:

It is recommended that you and your party arrive at least one hour prior to departure.
This will provide adequate time for you to park, pick up your ticket(s) from the depot, and be ready to board the train 30 minutes prior to the 9am departure.

From the lodge to the parking in Bryson City >>>
MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions - Map

Originally Posted by James1549
Gary, Thanks for keeping up with the list in post #296.
Due to open seating arrangements, we are going with COACH CLASS on the Nantahala Gorge Trip on Oct 3 at 9:00.
In order to get group rates, we need 20 or more.
The Trip will sell out so please be sure to reserve early!
The clerk told me only food that will fit into a women's purse is allowed, no picnic baskets or coolers allowed.
When making reservations online, you can prepay for lunch, parking, and other souvenirs.

Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-train-ride.jpg  

Last edited by Valk; 09-14-2015 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2015, 05:58 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I would recommend a drive up to Clingmans Dome after your train trip.

Old 09-06-2015, 11:47 PM

Originally Posted by SRQfun
I would recommend a drive up to Clingman's Dome after your train trip.
A good suggestion Michael

This might be something for all of us going on the train Saturday to consider for a drive after the train ride ends.
The train will arrive back in Bryson city at 1:30 pm
We could leave and take another short and scenic drive to Clingmans Dome
It is a 36 mile / 1 hour scenic drive from Bryson City through part of the Smokey Mountain National Park

Map from Bryson City to Clingman's Dome (1 Hour) >> MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions

Then the return trip back to the lodge is 66 miles in 1.5 hours which will put us back to the lodge approximately by 5pm with a 1 hour stop at Clingman's Dome
Map from Clingman's Dome back to the Lodge (1.5 hours) >> MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions

These could Crossfires parked here

Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-jt_test15.jpg  

Last edited by Valk; 09-07-2015 at 12:06 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:21 AM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Gary, Several years ago when I was at Clingman's Dome, you could not see much at the parking level due to the trees. I don't recall it looking anything like the photo you posted. The Dome is where the view is. But it must be mentioned that it could be strenuous for some to make the hike. I just wanted to mention it is a steep climb.

More images here: https://www.google.com/search?q=clin...FQmOkgodFQ4AHg

James

Last edited by James1549; 09-07-2015 at 11:27 AM.
Old 09-07-2015, 11:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Very cool Amy and I do what VALK does - LOL - booked for train too! Excitement City, USA!

Old 09-07-2015, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by James1549
Gary, Several years ago when I was at Clingman's Dome, you could not see much at the parking level due to the trees.
I don't recall it looking anything like the photo you posted.
The Dome is where the view is. But it must be mentioned that it could be strenuous for some to make the hike.
I just wanted to mention it is a steep climb.
More images here: https://www.google.com/search?q=clin...FQmOkgodFQ4AHg
James
Ya James the photo I previously posted I found on a website
This photo below I attached was the actual view from last fall at sunset at the parking area
We didn't do the hike due to pretty cold temps and sunset already upon us

Attached Thumbnails 9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4-dsc_4337.jpg  

Last edited by Valk; 09-07-2015 at 12:15 PM.
Old 09-07-2015, 03:13 PM
Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

If the Dome doesn't pan out with the group, there's also a local microbrewery tour available.
Ray set this up a couple years ago, but as I recall we ran out of time at the Wheels thru Time M/C museum in Maggie Valley.

Home | Nantahala Brewing

Old 09-07-2015, 08:16 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Andys

I'm going to join this route. I'll ride behind you Andy unless I get bored, If I do I'll find a good spot to pass you and will wait at the next stopping spot.

Old 09-07-2015, 08:22 PM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
I'm going to join this route. I'll ride behind you Andy unless I get bored, If I do I'll find a good spot to pass you and will wait at the next stopping spot.
I'll join you also, Andy. Just can't get into the train thing ......

Old 09-07-2015, 08:30 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

We need a run that takes us to our specialty chocolate shop in Bryson.. and swings by the museum .. haven't been there yet...

Old 09-07-2015, 08:53 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Andys

I haven't done this one yet. count me in.

Old 09-07-2015, 09:41 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

For any of you that have not been to wheels through time museum ,that good time and nice ride , for you that will be getting of the train at 1:30 the Brewery just across the street .

Old 09-07-2015, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
We need a run that takes us to our specialty chocolate shop in Bryson.. and swings by the museum .. haven't been there yet...
Looks like Andy's run and the Train riders will all see Bryson City on Saturday..... Take your pick

Old 09-07-2015, 10:14 PM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
For any of you that have not been to wheels through time museum ,that's a good time and a nice ride.
I agree...went here a few years ago..a lot to see and a neat place to visit
Click >> Wheels Through Time Museum

Visit the small towns "Bryson City" and "Cherokee" along the way for some shopping etc.
Map link to the museum from the Fontana Lodge going through Bryson City and Cherokee >> MapQuest Maps - Driving Directions

Old 09-07-2015, 10:47 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Gary we could always meet up with the train group after your trip if we leave with you in the morming.

I havent been up to Clingmans Dome, and you know me if its a good photo opportunity i will be there.

We can discuss on Friday to see the numbers

Old 09-08-2015, 12:00 AM

Gary we could always meet up with the train group after your trip if we leave with you in the morning.
I haven't been up to Clingmans Dome, and you know me if its a good photo opportunity i will be there.
We can discuss on Friday to see the numbers
Sure sounds like a plan
The more the merrier no matter how we spend the rest of the afternoon

Last edited by Valk; 09-08-2015 at 01:57 PM.

Quick Reply: 9th Annual Fall 2015 - Tail of the Dragon GTG-October 1, 2, 3, 4