Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

6th Annual Fall 2012 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - October 5, 6, 7

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 10:31 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 626 Likes on 427 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
Hey, Gary... wait up!

(A little fun on Hellbender...)

ChasingGary - YouTube
That was a fun fast run on Hellbender from Deals Gap to the lodge !! Thanks for the video !!!

Old 10-06-2012, 11:55 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts
Default Re: 6th Annual Fall 2012 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - October 5, 6, 7

Hey, Gary... wait up!

ChasingGary - YouTube
That was a good run.
I think you're getting the hang of it.

Thanks for letting me ride along Mark.

Old 10-07-2012, 01:04 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hey, Gary... wait up!

ChasingGary - YouTube

Thanks Mark.....I needed that.

Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks. I need another one soon.

Old 10-07-2012, 02:10 PM
Forum Regular

WOW!! Was the return trip FOGGY!! At on point on the TN Dragon this a.m. visibility was about 40 feet! Stayed like that for about 4 miles. Fortunately only cars I saw were about half-dozen Genesis' and an aero blue XF Roadster zipped past me in a line before Deal's Gap . I moved over for them (I am a courteous driver...). Lot of bikers were exercising caution. I wonder if they knew of the reported three biker mishaps on Saturday.
A GREAT time with WONDERFUL folks, food and "fuel". Hope to see everyone in the Spring. Already got my (same) room booked for both events in 2013!

Old 10-07-2012, 04:00 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hay All Susan and I Got Home about 330 today , we had great time seeig everybody , we look forward to spring time meet ,

Old 10-07-2012, 05:01 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Made it home around 12:30. The ///AMG is now clean and sleeping in the garage. I had a great time seeing everyone again and am looking forward to next time. I will say it was a bit strange not having an aggressive group this year.

Thanks to all who make this event possible.

Old 10-07-2012, 08:59 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

What a great first Dragon event for me. I wanted to say thanks to all the great folks i met that made it such a wonderful time for me.
Thanks to Mark for Friday's run on the Dragon to "break me in" and to Kim for the fun run to Franklin on Saturday.
Gary your organisation of the whole event was superb, i loved the way it flowed and the choices for the runs, no pressure at all to drive out of my class, thanks.
Everyone made me feel right at home as soon as i arrived, i will be back for sure next year.
Took in a waterfall in Cherokee on the way back will post a photo soon, home around 4pm.
I know i am going to make some good friends in this group over the years.
Cheers,
Andy

Old 10-07-2012, 09:12 PM
Received 105 Likes on 78 Posts

Hey guys, thanks for another great weekend. More sunshine would have made it perfect, but still nice to get together with everyone again!

Here are some pics of the weekend: Tail of the Dragon - Fall 2012

You will probably notice that there is a lot of red in them

Here is the video:

James & Tammi

Last edited by James1549; 10-07-2012 at 09:33 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 09:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^red? i see yellow!! got home around 1 had a great weekend, no stress and few fast runs. lunch at stickey fingers with john and kim then home. car is filthy and needs a bath. maybe monday!

Old 10-07-2012, 09:52 PM
Default After the Dragon

Thanks Valk - and everyone else who made the event so memorable! Especially PaceMaker for leading our group - we all had so much fun.

Have to say that I also learned more about the capabilities of my car. Wow.

It was so fabulours to drive up to Fontana Lodge Friday about 6 p and see all the Crossfires that had already arrived! It was a delightful sight to behold. And that was even before the official photo!

What strikes me the most is how happy and proud everyone is of their cars, and the sense of camaraderie that continues to prevail among we owners. That is something that makes XF ownership even more special and meaningful. It was a wonderful weekend. And a long drive home back to sea level. I loved the experience.

Alicia

Old 10-07-2012, 10:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AKING57
What a great first Dragon event for me. I wanted to say thanks to all the great folks i met that made it such a wonderful time for me.
Thanks to Mark for Friday's run on the Dragon to "break me in" and to Kim for the fun run to Franklin on Saturday.
Gary your organisation of the whole event was superb, i loved the way it flowed and the choices for the runs, no pressure at all to drive out of my class, thanks.
Everyone made me feel right at home as soon as i arrived, i will be back for sure next year.
Took in a waterfall in Cherokee on the way back will post a photo soon, home around 4pm.
I know i am going to make some good friends in this group over the years.
Cheers,
Andy
It was a pleasure meeting you, be sure to call the folks in London and let them know that America has a few proper roads with curves in them, not ALL of our roads are straight

Originally Posted by 32krazy!
^red? i see yellow!! got home around 1 had a great weekend, no stress and few fast runs. lunch at stickey fingers with john and kim then home. car is filthy and needs a bath. maybe monday!
Slacker! I washed my car while wearing a jacket and smoking a Cuban (Romeo y Julieta, thanks Beaner!!). Apparently that big lunch helped insulate me from the brisk breeze.

Thanks to the suggestion from Evan and Eric, I added two shots of Espresso to a tall glass of Kim's Rum Chata... absolutely EPIC.

Car is now spotless and snuggled into the warm garage. Even though I considered this weekend VERY tame, it was still a blast and Kim enjoyed the "destination" drive to Gatlinburg yesterday. 441 is gorgeous in the fog.

As Nick said, many thanks to the organizers that put this event together. I plan to make my first spring appearance next year.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:04 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hey guys,

It's 11PM, and I'm home safe and sound. Yay!

I don't usually talk much, so I'll make this post short.

Thank you all for making my first Dragon trip so much fun. Especially the advises and help from you all, I really feel I made the right decision to come and meet all of you.

James, thank you for all the help.

For those who asked for my screen name, I told you it's a weird asian name, but please feel free to call me The Whole --> "Shebang".

Just to be fair, <-- According to Kam... --> For those who asked me to spell my name out, it is: "Shibing".

Again, thank you all.

Old 10-07-2012, 11:08 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts

Andy, it was great meeting you and SRQfun! Sadly, the clouds cleard and sun came out while we were in Seiverville around 5pm. Came home down the Parkway and Dragon, got to the lodge at sundown, Jason let thru the Dragon and Hellbender - had some fun, but some slow ones dampened the fun, but it was fun while it lasted.

Must be about 18-20 of us left here, all but about 5 of us will leave by 10am, and the last four of us will leave by 3-4pm.

Jane visited the biker injured on the Skyway saturday at the hospital in Asheville. He is expected to make a long, rough recovery. She can provide more detail, but the good news is that he will probably be fine in a great deal of time. She said the EMT with the Gencoupes made all the difference. (Jane and Lovecraft of the Gens (a doctor with the Gens) attended to the victim with the assistance of an EMT who was running with the Gens.

Both car clubs (between that and the two Harleys we helped) made a difference this weekend!

I see "Chasing Gary" already has 44 views!

... and I think Gary is more proud of that video than I am, he says there just aren't any videos of him.
There is now! When I got back to the lodge, I was asked how fast we went - I could not answer, had to watch the video, I was too busy trying to keep up with Gary!!!!

Too bad I didn't think to turn the camera on until a few miles from the end, we'd stopped at the Gap and left our newbs to shop and look around. I KNEW he was gonna take off, so I jumped in the car and it was on.

SRQFun kept up for about two miles, but Gary and I got a rhythm going and we were off.

Sounds like we have several first-timers that are gonna be back !!!

Last edited by pizzaguy; 10-07-2012 at 11:15 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:13 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

I arrived home to Sarasota at 10pm after leaving the Lodge mid morning morning. I noticed my face was feeling a little numb when I walked in the house.....from the PERMAGRIN!!!
What a GREAT weekend, Great people, Great driving, Great time all around. Well worth the 11 hour drive. Thank you to those of you who organized this GTG. Met some great folks and hope to see everyone in the Spring.
Michael

Last edited by SRQfun; 10-07-2012 at 11:16 PM.
Old 10-07-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
Made it home around 12:30. The ///AMG is now clean and sleeping in the garage. I had a great time seeing everyone again and am looking forward to next time. I will say it was a bit strange not having an aggressive group this year.

Thanks to all who make this event possible.
Yeah Nick, I missed that too.

roadster with a stick

Old 10-07-2012, 11:21 PM
Forum Regular
Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

P.S. Pizzaguy I got to watch ChasingGary on my 46" Sony Internet TV as soon as I came home...Got my adrenaline charged just watching. And it looks like you were pushing past 85 for a few seconds. I could also hear your tires go on that one curve after the bridge.

Old 10-08-2012, 08:18 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

I have to apologize once again for not getting to meet many of the newcomers....but I did get to meet a few...Shibing....you my young friend, I enjoyed the run into the lodge with you...you will be back for sure. As, usual sat and relaxed with old friends. It was a nice relaxing couple of days...You were missed Franc as well as a host of other regulars. There were a lot and I mean a lot of new faces there. I saw Alicia....and her daughter I assume navigator, lol, and just many others I will have to put names to. Lisa got to ride with me since her ride was down awaiting parts and Rudy the "soon to be" married mechanic...who's bride to be is one nice person...you all need to meet. Rudy made the repair, as some other installs while there. I have to tell the Michigan crew I didn't mean to run off. My walkie was dead and I didn't realize it until you exited the interstate for fuel...I will shut up now, but as you can tell from my excitement, it was a fun get away, and to those I didn't get to shake hands with, I do apologize. Red Dog, I was trying to meet you, but you were in conversation just about everytime I walked your way...lol. Glad to see the younger owners there, as you will be the future of the event... I hope to keep attending as long as I can. Finally, it is a good thing I have all this money invested in 2 SRT's, because after riding in Steve's Yellow Spool Bus....Porsche come's to mind...what a ride that is...YOU all need to ask Rudy what happened on our EXIT from the Dragon on the way home...lol See you all soon....

Last edited by oledoc2u; 10-08-2012 at 08:21 AM.
Old 10-08-2012, 09:08 AM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tanj it!

There Ain't No Justice.

Sorry I missed it-again. Maybe in the spring.

Old 10-08-2012, 10:27 AM
Received 159 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by maxcichon
Tanj it!

There Ain't No Justice.

Sorry I missed it-again. Maybe in the spring.
I'm willing if you are, we can convoy from here .... ( have to pick up some radios .... )

Quick Reply: 6th Annual Fall 2012 - Tail of the Dragon GTG - October 5, 6, 7