Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2012, 07:26 PM
Administrator
Received 963 Likes on 751 Posts
Default re: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Front brake pads, air filters, oil change, new belt, coolant flush, steering stabilizer... I think my car is ready... all I can think of is a good detail job, gonna do that this weekend.

I will be at the lodge by this time next friday, so that makes it official: Less than a week to go!

My rear tires are close to the wear indicators... so if it goes like before, I'll need tires in about 8 days!!!!

Old 03-30-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I forgot that I had Wednesday off. Two more mundane days of work and I'll be on vacation. See you all there.

Old 03-30-2012, 07:44 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

After three months of lackluster work at the plant we are busier than we have ever been. I have been putting in 12 to 18 hours a day at the plant, Sundays included.

We just finished three big contracts, got them off today. Four more await us next week but,,,,,,, I'm not going to be there.

I am going to be jamming gears and pushing limp wristed SRT's thru the Dragon. I can't wait for the action,,,, I need the rest

See ya Wednesday Evan

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 03-30-2012 at 08:22 PM.
Old 03-30-2012, 07:45 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Glad to hear that business is picking up Franc! See you Wednesday.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:27 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Started vacation today but picked up some side jobs. Leaving Sat. night. Hope to see Jim on Mon morning. Spending the first part of the week with Benjamin

Old 03-30-2012, 08:29 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

New tires & TPMS rebuild kits with road force balancing - Monday

Oil Change - Tuesday

Wash, Detail & Road wrap - Wednesday

Head up to Dan's house - Thursday

I guess my plan for a little seat time before the trip is right out the window......

Old 03-30-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BTW is there anyone going to the Dragon that buffs headlight lenses or is there anyone who has a pair of 5 mm hub-centric spacers for rims. I might need to replace my 10 mm spacers. Looking to buy a used set if I need them and to pay to have my sons Crossfire headlights buffed out.

Old 03-30-2012, 08:46 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Easter Weekend at the Dragon has a lot to offer I guess.

http://www.fontanavillage.com/events...easter2012.pdf

Old 03-30-2012, 11:39 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well VAC is here , will be on the road most of the week , head to Rockford Ill to check in on mom and dad and then home wed and thur on the road to the Dragon will put over 2000 miles in next week , look forward to a little down time with my better half and having a drink or two with some old friends !!! What else can say but it Dragon Time !!!!

Old 03-31-2012, 01:47 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Hey Wild Bill! You may want to pass on to your folks that, since the event is includes Easter Sunday, that we are providing a short Sunday 9:00 a.m. worship service in the Fontana church house located on the premises near the ball field. No dress code, just good fellowship!
PACEMAKER
Thank you very much for the offer! I have relayed the info to the thread on our forum. If anyone posts any questions of the like, I will be sure to relay back over here.

Old 03-31-2012, 02:06 PM

Europe - The Final Countdown(with lyrics) - YouTube

Countdown to Apr 5, 2012 5:00 PM in Knoxville

Old 03-31-2012, 06:57 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by BKSeoul
Thank you very much for the offer! I have relayed the info to the thread on our forum. If anyone posts any questions of the like, I will be sure to relay back over here.
I see you guys are doing Dragon runs early in the morning. I FINALLY discovered the glorious-ness of the early morning Dragon just last fall. No traffic, and what traffic you do encounter, yields real fast!

I hate to run alone... if I manage to stay reasonably less drunk than 13dog, I may be up and moving when you guys are. Don't mind me, I'll be the ya-hoo in your mirrors in the Graphite convertible.

Let's just hope I can keep up. (I"m a hard fit - too aggressive for our Sunday Drivers, too aggressive for our moderates --- but not ready to run with the psychos.)

Last edited by pizzaguy; 03-31-2012 at 07:00 PM.
Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 AM
Administrator

As I think I mentioned, I ran thru the Dragon week before last on a business trip to London, KY in a rented SUV.

I think I saw something new - seems like they have paved a lot more pull-offs than before. Might be wrong here, but see what you all think - I SWEAR there weren't that many before.

Now, some are very narrow, not room for most vehicles to get over completely ... and that supports my idea that they have added more because I remember a few WIDE, nice pulloffs. But I saw narrow ones on a lot of curves with an arrow pointing to them.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:39 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by pizzaguy
I see you guys are doing Dragon runs early in the morning. I FINALLY discovered the glorious-ness of the early morning Dragon just last fall. No traffic, and what traffic you do encounter, yields real fast!

I hate to run alone... if I manage to stay reasonably less drunk than 13dog, I may be up and moving when you guys are. Don't mind me, I'll be the ya-hoo in your mirrors in the Graphite convertible.

Let's just hope I can keep up. (I"m a hard fit - too aggressive for our Sunday Drivers, too aggressive for our moderates --- but not ready to run with the psychos.)
As the resident drunk I vow that I'll get you completely trashed.

Old 04-01-2012, 12:53 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 627 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
Don't you mean, sock tan?
No Johnny..lol
I wear the short socks now.
Just got back home from Mexico this morning.
4 days on the ground and then back to the skies to fly in for a weekend of fun.

PS... glad to be back with free WI FI again too

Old 04-01-2012, 01:04 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by john book
BTW is there anyone going to the Dragon that buffs headlight lenses or is there anyone who has a pair of 5 mm hub-centric spacers for rims. I might need to replace my 10 mm spacers. Looking to buy a used set if I need them and to pay to have my sons Crossfire headlights buffed out.
i have a set of 8mm

Old 04-01-2012, 06:48 PM

Yep, we do a morning run every day we are out there for those that want to. We usually all meet up at the parking lot next to the Fontana Restaurant between 6:30 and 7:00 am before leaving about 7:00 to 7:15 am. You are more than welcome to join us for these runs. There are a very small select few (myself being in this group) that will only use this run as the one to push as hard as we can on (my assumption would be this would fall under your "psycho" level lol). Case in point, last Fall, another forum member Formsim and myself lead the pack. By the time we hit the 3 curve of Hellbender, we could no longer see the rest of the group in our mirrors and we made it through the Dragon all the way to the big dirt pull off next to the bridge (past the overlook/look out at the peak of the mountain where most people stop) and waited almost 10 or so minutes before the next small group came in (probably the group you would fall in per what you were saying). We waited another 5 or so minutes for everyone else to come in in one big group. I think Formsim and I were just more comfortable because we were the only ones in that group that really had regular circuit track time at HPDEs with me having the most seat time. Hence why I lead.

So, no worries. Just come up and ask around and you'll find where to line up within the group if you want to run with us. No problem at all.

As for drinking, I completely hear you on that one. We have one cabin that is always affectionately labelled the "Stabbin' Cabin" where the drinking and fun happens for everyone. So, depending on how much and how late people enjoy that cabin reflects on how many show in the morning. That being said, last Fall we had a decent size group to the main Sat. morning run as described above.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:50 PM

As I think I mentioned, I ran thru the Dragon week before last on a business trip to London, KY in a rented SUV.

I think I saw something new - seems like they have paved a lot more pull-offs than before. Might be wrong here, but see what you all think - I SWEAR there weren't that many before.

Now, some are very narrow, not room for most vehicles to get over completely ... and that supports my idea that they have added more because I remember a few WIDE, nice pulloffs. But I saw narrow ones on a lot of curves with an arrow pointing to them.
During the Fall run, I remember seeing the small paved pull-offs, but I don't recall the painted arrows. We will have to see. I think it is awesome as it should help with traffic. Just know it is a "two way street" as that means LEOs have more spots to sit/hide/wait for you.

Old 04-01-2012, 06:54 PM

FYI - We have one of our members who is making a Vinyl sticker that says "I Conquered the Dragon April 2012" and has a line representing the road (similar to a track vinyl sticker) as well as a Dragon at the bottom. She will be selling/bringing these with her for $5 a piece as well as in multiple color choices. If you are interested, you can either shoot me a PM or register on GenCoupe and post in the thread your interest and we will hand them out and take payment at the Dragon when everyone gets there. She prefers cash, but will be able to do credit cards as well. Here is a pic of a sample sticker as well as the link to the original thread:

Name:  IMG_0153.jpg
Views: 21
Size:  35.1 KB

Tail of the Dragon Sticker!!!! - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

Old 04-01-2012, 09:31 PM
Administrator

It all sounds great, BK.

So you guys have a psycho class as well - and probably about the same percentage as us, from that description! It doesn't sound like there is a lot of difference between the groups: drivers of various levels, all crazy about the same car.

This is gonna be a fun weekend.

I will probably register on your forum this week, but have GOT to get to bed... put me down for 2 or 3 stickers and I'll have cash with me. I have no clue what color I'd want, I'll choose from her available inventory at the time, I just know I gotta have at least two.

Pizzaguy
I'll just PRETEND I'm drunk so Nick will leave me alone and I can be coherent by 7 am.

Last edited by pizzaguy; 04-01-2012 at 09:34 PM.

Quick Reply: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8