Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 03:15 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Just a note that since this will be over Easter Sunday weekend, a Sunday morning ecumenical service will be offered at the historic Fontana Chapel near the dam just before we leave for the Sunday drives. ADDITIONALLY, a new "Tourist Class" Saturday run will be offered for those who would like a kindler/gentler roll through the mountains of the western Carolinas.
My take you up on the tourist Class , I kind need to be a good boy for awhile , got ticket frist Jan. so a little slower pace my not be bad idea

Old 03-20-2012, 08:21 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Deals Gap reports that the Dragon is now fully open.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:32 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Here's some interesting information for all of you Dragon Slayers out there:

Court says Dragon speed limit is 65 mph

To summarize:
The posted speed limit on the dragon (in Tennessee - not North Carolina) is wrong, and illegal. The legal speed limit on US-129 is 65 mph.

In short this is because in Tennessee (like many other states) all roads - unless otherwise posted - are 65 mph. In order to legally post a lower speed limit requires a TDOT engineering survey and report of the road and traffic conditions. There is no TDOT engineering survey for US-129 in Blount County, therefore the speed limit is 65 mph.

So if you get a ticket for less than 65 mph, pay a local lawyer to fight it for you and it will get thrown out. But if you don't fight it, and you simply sign the "guilty" line, the court will be happy to take your money.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:48 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Very interesting Tom.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by tom2112

To summarize:
The posted speed limit on the dragon (in Tennessee - not North Carolina) is wrong, and illegal. The legal speed limit on US-129 is 65 mph.

In short this is because in Tennessee (like many other states) all roads - unless otherwise posted - are 65 mph. In order to legally post a lower speed limit requires a TDOT engineering survey and report of the road and traffic conditions. There is no TDOT engineering survey for US-129 in Blount County, therefore the speed limit is 65 mph.

So if you get a ticket for less than 65 mph, pay a local lawyer to fight it for you and it will get thrown out. But if you don't fight it, and you simply sign the "guilty" line, the court will be happy to take your money.
Wish I had known that a couple of years ago....Bryson City run sounds good.

Old 03-21-2012, 07:50 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

To summarize:

Good link. Thanks Tom 2112

Old 03-21-2012, 08:09 PM

Originally Posted by john book
Wish I had known that a couple of years ago....Bryson City run sounds good.
That's exactly what I was thinking!

Old 03-22-2012, 04:40 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder how long until the survey is done to make the lower speed limit "legal". I think I am going to still avoid the THP like the plague. I don't think they are going to take to kindly to people telling them their tickets are illegal. You know its just a matter of time until someone runs their mouth and says something to a member of the THP. I KNOW that I have used up my THP good graces. There is only so many times that you can get out of a speeding ticket with a story about a bug flying in your ear....... That one is for you Jim!!!

Old 03-22-2012, 07:16 AM

Thank God you, Alex, and I only got warnings

At least that crazy guy with the black car and big chrome wheels will not be back

Old 03-22-2012, 10:41 AM

Just Remeber that theTENN side The NC side could be a whole Diff ball game , still would not push it going over the posted speed limit by 30 mph you my have to come back to see the judge anyway , But John BOOK can tell us more about that , i know him and those THP are very close with each other LOL

Last edited by Osofast2; 03-22-2012 at 10:43 AM.
Old 03-22-2012, 11:52 AM
She can ride with me ;)

Oh, yeah. I'm not saying it's open season or anything. I'm just sayin if you get a ticket, fight it. It will be worth the trouble.

Old 03-22-2012, 07:38 PM

I can just see Tom scrambling in the Mini, screaming "you'll never take me alive coppers!" thru 318 curves. I'm not sure why Tom is a 1920's gangster in this vision......

Old 03-22-2012, 08:32 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up re: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Howdy all!

Just wanted to swing in here and say hi. Similar to last year, it looks like the Crossfire Spring Rally will be the same weekend the Hyundai Genesis Coupe group GenSport Carolinas is out there, and that we all will be staying at Fontana Village. It was a pleasure being out there and talking car with yall last year and we look forward to seeing yall out there in less than 2 weeks again.

Here is our thread for that weekend (I am WildBill over there, a moderator on gencoupe.com):

Official 2012 Gensport Spring Run of The Dragon Thread - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums

Old 03-22-2012, 09:20 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 627 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by BKSeoul
Howdy all!

Just wanted to swing in here and say hi. Similar to last year, it looks like the Crossfire Spring Rally will be the same weekend the Hyundai Genesis Coupe group GenSport Carolinas is out there, and that we all will be staying at Fontana Village. It was a pleasure being out there and talking car with yall last year and we look forward to seeing yall out there in less than 2 weeks again.

Here is our thread for that weekend (I am WildBill over there, a moderator on gencoupe.com):

Official 2012 Gensport Spring Run of The Dragon Thread - Genesis Forum: GenCoupe Hyundai Genesis Forums
Hello Bill,
Thanks for dropping in here.
We look forward to the weekend as well.
As you may know the designer of our Crossfires was also the designer of your cars..."Eric Stoddard"

See ya all soon, Gary

Old 03-22-2012, 09:35 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by KimPossible
I can just see Tom scrambling in the Mini, screaming "you'll never take me alive coppers!" thru 318 curves. I'm not sure why Tom is a 1920's gangster in this vision......
I'm not sure about the 1920's bit either. You do know I don't have the Mini anymore, right? It needed to go away. I loved the car, but it had problems that they couldn't seem to fix. So I paid it off and bought a brand new Civic Si.

Old 03-22-2012, 11:49 PM

Originally Posted by BKSeoul
Howdy all!

That cool ,love the look of Genesis im thinking one of you were kind enough to take are pic last spring at the dam , this make weekend even better

Old 03-23-2012, 07:32 AM

I am looking forward to checking out some gen coupes...

Last time I was at the track, someone had the 'track' model with the brembos and some mods, pretty quick car, looked fun to drive

Old 03-23-2012, 08:46 AM

I'm not sure about the 1920's bit either. You do know I don't have the Mini anymore, right? It needed to go away. I loved the car, but it had problems that they couldn't seem to fix. So I paid it off and bought a brand new Civic Si.
You will always have the Mini to me.......

Your experiences with the Mini have actually made me rethink wanting one of them. My roadster is going to be paid off very shortly and I thought about replacing my daily driver with one of these. I wanted the yellow with the checkerboard top - how cute would that have been sitting next to my yellow roadster?!?! With the issues you had with yours I can't justify getting rid of a reliable Honda for a cute but problematic Mini.

Old 03-23-2012, 08:58 AM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Hello Bill,
Thanks for dropping in here.
We look forward to the weekend as well.
As you may know the designer of our Crossfires was also the designer of your cars..."Eric Stoddard"

See ya all soon, Gary
Thanks for the warm welcome. I actually didn't know that until recently, but I am less into the company who makes the car and more into if the car does what I need it to do. I daily drive my car for my job as well as track it circuit racing once a month. At 2.5 years of ownership (bought it brand new when there were less than 5K in the entire US), I have accrued just under 83K miles to this point and loving every minute of it.

Old 03-23-2012, 09:01 AM

Originally Posted by Osofast2
That cool ,love the look of Genesis im thinking one of you were kind enough to take are pic last spring at the dam , this make weekend even better
Yes sir. That would be our user Dave C you are talking about. He just mentioned the same thing in our thread about it. He is our resident old driver so he can be interesting to talk to, but a lot of fun to boot.

Quick Reply: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8