Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 11:12 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 627 Likes on 428 Posts
Default re: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

To all you Dragon Slayers....
Set up you DVR to record on the Velocity channel at 6:30am (cst) Saturday March 17th.
The show is called "Vinsetta Garage" and they will be doing a story about the Tail of the Dragon.

SHOW INFO:
We’re on the road with Courtney Hansen and her copilot, Autoweek editor Natalie Neff, in a classic RV.
We wind our way down a concrete roller coaster on one of America’s curviest roads, the Tail of the Dragon.
We also visit some other unique stops and roadside oddities on our unusual odyssey spanning the United States.

Use the channel finder in the link below to find the Velocity channel in your area...
Velocity Channel Videos

More here: Don't Say We Never Take You Anywhere? - Velocity

The Tail of the Dragon
Did you know the states of North Carolina and Tennessee are home to a world famous driving destination?
It’s a two-lane stretch of highway U.S. 129 so legendary that some people make a yearly event of touring it – The Dragon.
Along an 11-mile stretch of the Dragon in Tennessee, the road runs along the Great Smoky Mountains National Park. That means no development and no crazy crossroads or driveways that interrupt the road. That’s a good thing because during this stretch there are something along the lines of 318 curves - just like a dragon's tail. If the local names for these roads are any indication – like Copperhead Corner or Brake and Bust Bend – it makes some great motoring.

The sites are gorgeous as well – overlooking the scenic Smoky Mountains. There are also some popular places to stop like the famous Tree of Shame.
Word to the wise though. Despite the wickedly alluring curves that just call out to be cornered – the speed limit was reduced to 30mph in 2005 and is pretty highly patrolled by the law.

Old 03-14-2012, 11:38 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

So do they drive the RV down through US129?

Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Kim please add The Flying Turtle and her 05 SSB SRT roadster to the list. We are looking forward to seeing everyone there.
I just remembered to add Linda to the list. I was really excited to see that she was coming and they didn't update the list ...... silly Kim!

These next 3 weeks can't roll by fast enough. I still have to add new tires & brakes to the SRT but I am ready for some rolling hills and sweeping turns....

Old 03-15-2012, 11:26 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looks like I will be #34. I recently confirmed that I will be in Alabama from April 1st through May 4th for a work related training school. I have decided to drive the Crossfire from Colorado to Alabama and attend as much of the Spring Crossfire Dragon gathering as I can (probably Saturday and half of Sunday).

If you by chance read my introduction post a few months ago (link below)...you will understand why I consider attending this event a special opportunity.

Thanks Dragon Guys

See you there!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:27 AM

Dragon Season is OPEN!!!!

Killboy is back on the Dragon

Old 03-15-2012, 11:42 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MAXIMUM
Looks like I will be #34. I recently confirmed that I will be in Alabama from April 1st through May 4th for a work related training school. I have decided to drive the Crossfire from Colorado to Alabama and attend as much of the Spring Crossfire Dragon gathering as I can (probably Saturday and half of Sunday).

If you by chance read my introduction post a few months ago (link below)...you will understand why I consider attending this event a special opportunity.

Thanks Dragon Guys

See you there!
That'll be great to see you there! We'll have two Coloradans there.

Old 03-15-2012, 12:26 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks Dragon Guys

See you there!
Great Crossfire story. I will be looking forward to seeing you and your SRT in a few weeks.

Old 03-15-2012, 01:30 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Woohoo! The SRT-6 comes out of storage tomorrow. Just put a new battery in it, and new rear tires are on their way.

Dragon here I come!

Old 03-15-2012, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by KimPossible
These next 3 weeks can't roll by fast enough. I still have to add new tires & brakes to the SRT but I am ready for some rolling hills and sweeping turns....
I hear you, but lots to do here in Indiana as well. She needs some more custom paint, a new CF hood, rear adjustable sway bar links, an oil change, a tranny flush, a new, one-off rear roof spoiler, etc.

I have my work cut out for me, but still anxiously awaiting hanging out with awesome cars and great friends at the Dragon...

Old 03-15-2012, 01:49 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Well I should have the new Eibach's on the rear of the 6 tomorrow and if all goes well I will be set for the next chapter in dragon driving and trying to keep up ..... we have had 3 beautiful days here on the Tn/Nc boarder and the trees are starting to bud out a little ,,,Spring in here I believe ....

Old 03-15-2012, 09:04 PM

Thanks Dragon Guys

See you there!
Can't wait to add you to the list! I think that you will be number 35 actually. What a great story about falling in love with the XF. Who knows, maybe this year you will be the person inspiring someone to buy a XF. Depending on which way you are coming from CO you can probably hook up with some others to caravan into Fontana.

I will update the list tonight!!!

Old 03-15-2012, 09:53 PM

Who else is going to make the trip??? Can we get to 40 cars?

Old 03-16-2012, 01:04 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just a note that since this will be over Easter Sunday weekend, a Sunday morning ecumenical service will be offered at the historic Fontana Chapel near the dam just before we leave for the Sunday drives. ADDITIONALLY, a new "Tourist Class" Saturday run will be offered for those who would like a kindler/gentler roll through the mountains of the western Carolinas.

Old 03-16-2012, 01:06 PM

Originally Posted by Pacemaker
Just a note that since this will be over Easter Sunday weekend, a Sunday morning ecumenical service will be offered at the historic Fontana Chapel near the dam just before we leave for the Sunday drives. ADDITIONALLY, a new "Tourist Class" Saturday run will be offered for those who would like a kindler/gentler roll through the mountains of the western Carolinas.
HA "tourist class" I love it.

Old 03-16-2012, 02:34 PM

Just read where they had another Rock slide on the dragon ,,,their saying it should get cleaned up pretty quick. ,,, oh well,,,,,,

Old 03-17-2012, 11:09 AM

I'm sure that the rock slide will be taken care of right away. Did they say where it was on the Dragon?

Old 03-17-2012, 11:58 AM

I'm sure that the rock slide will be taken care of right away. Did they say where it was on the Dragon?

The pics look like it's on near the last look out going towards TN. Where you come out of the forrest for a quick couple of left rights before dashing back into the woods.

Old 03-17-2012, 03:06 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Well got susans days work out , that good , Got the new Brake pads on , NICE , got a tune for Xmas and must say she running real good ,now a wax job and oil change and we are ready to roll , will be getting in around 8:30 Pm Thur night for a great time , , and got to go home Sunday but will be able to stick aroud for most of the day Sunday and then head home ,only four hrs home so this is good Look forward to seeing everybody real soon

Old 03-17-2012, 07:45 PM

They said 2 or 3 days max so we will be good by Easter weekend ,Wow thats not too far off now....

Old 03-18-2012, 09:03 AM

I have the new brakes on the way from frakingfastsrt6. As soon as they get here the car is going to have her new sneakers put on. She is also getting a new steering dampner before the trip. My books on cd came in the mail. I am going to get an oil change done too. We really only have 2 more weekends until the Dragon!!!

Quick Reply: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8