Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 07:28 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 627 Likes on 428 Posts
Default re: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Originally Posted by MrMoPar
Well, at the urging of Schwarzer, I booked a room at the Fontana, so I guess me and the wife will see everyone at the Dragon.
Booked 6 - 8.
Tim - The Crossfire Shop
Oh, and I will be bringing the SRT6.
Looking forward to meeting you.
Will you be selling any parts at this meet ??
Nothing I need right now but just asking in general.

Old 02-20-2012, 07:46 PM
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

We should have a drivers dragon school with all this info on shifting and braking and such , Education is the key factor here.... and I'm always up for learning ....

Old 02-20-2012, 08:23 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by hcarter
We should have a drivers dragon school with all this info on shifting and braking and such , Education is the key factor here.... and I'm always up for learning ....
Go to the corner Howard... you know this **** anyway mr no traction control.

Old 02-20-2012, 08:51 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Franc, John you have got to try the SRT with paddle shifters and the speedriven tcm installed. Shifts are crisp and immediant with quicker throttle tip in. No wasted left foot dance, or right hand off the wheel to the stick during g's. plenty of control in managing the weight and speed of the car. Not saying it's better but you need to experience it.
I would love to. I have no problem with new technologies or even automatics.Paddle shifting means you can stabilize your body with the twohands onthe wheel grip and the left foot firmly on the floor pan. Shifting the Autostick is sloppy as hell when the cockpit is enduring 0.43 g's left right and vertical. With the 6MT,Your left foot is dancing on the clutch and your right hand is holding the shifter. But, it's better than holding the center console plastic and shifting the Autostick with your thumb.

My issue is really with the commonly held concept that one must certainly have a better performance simply because they strapped enough horsepower on their brick to make it fly.

Old school guys. old school. Still gets it done. And if we are to imagine what could be, I would love to have 390 HP in my little 6 spd roadster. And then give Crumpy, Or Nick, a run for their money on the way home.

Happily shifting,and clutching, all the way.

And Doc, I never claimed I could hold up to an SRT on the Hellbender. Different road completely than the Dragon. Re read my posts #175.

And my BP is just fine. Thank you.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 02-20-2012 at 09:20 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 09:34 PM

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
I would love to. I have no problem with new technologies or even automatics.Paddle shifting means you can stabilize your body with the twohands onthe wheel grip and the left foot firmly on the floor pan. Shifting the Autostick is sloppy as hell when the cockpit is enduring 0.43 g's left right and vertical. With the 6MT,Your left foot is dancing on the clutch and your right hand is holding the shifter. But, it's better than holding the center console plastic and shifting the Autostick with your thumb.

My issue is really with the commonly held concept that one must certainly have a better performance simply because they strapped enough horsepower on their brick to make it fly.

Old school guys. old school. Still gets it done. And if we are to imagine what could be, I would love to have 390 HP in my little 6 spd roadster. And then give Crumpy, Or Nick, a run for their money on the way home.

Happily shifting,and clutching, all the way.

And Doc, I never claimed I could hold up to an SRT on the Hellbender. Different road completely than the Dragon. Re read my posts #175.

And my BP is just fine. Thank you.
I completely agree, with the width of the tire you eventually run out of usable horsepower and just spin the tires instead, but that number is closer to the 330 rwhp. I still say I was fastest with my SRT when I went up there with the Needswings Duals without the Eurocharge tune. Once I got the Eurocharge tune 2nd gear became useless. At least with the 55 I can limit my chirping and spinning to when I want it too.

Is it dragon time yet?

Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM

What's scary is I'm now in 5th gear on the straight away. Just have to remember not to do that on the way toward TN. Dangerous curve at the end, and the NC direction you've got room to f' up. Not that you want to.

Old 02-20-2012, 09:46 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
I completely agree, with the width of the tire you eventually run out of usable horsepower and just spin the tires instead, but that number is closer to the 330 rwhp. I still say I was fastest with my SRT when I went up there with the Needswings Duals without the Eurocharge tune. Once I got the Eurocharge tune 2nd gear became useless. At least with the 55 I can limit my chirping and spinning to when I want it too.

Is it dragon time yet?
Nick, what tires did you have on your SRT-6? Last fall before I had the tune and just the intake, I had major traction control images with my Hankooks. It was so bad that I could not shake Danimal off my tail on 28 east of the lodge. I'd hate to see what my traction situation would be now with the pulley and tune.

Old 02-20-2012, 10:02 PM

I stand by the Michelin Pilot Sports. I've had the continentals on the SLK and they're absolute ****. When you rode with me I had the all season pilot sports. My first trip to the dragon I had the summer version of that tire and I melted them off and slid around like you probably did with Dan. The Hancooks have been known to melt and become slippy

Old 02-20-2012, 11:20 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by hcarter
Sure Howard,,,,,,You and Jim put yourself through drifting school last time you were there.

Old 02-20-2012, 11:35 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Aw hell... here we go again...

Old 02-20-2012, 11:43 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Posts 204 and 205 nailed it. It's all about the balance. You're the fastest when you look like you're going slow... it means you're smooth. Smooth = fast

And yes Nick, absolute power corrupts absolutely. Ask the Z06 owner I pushed through turns 2-6 on Nashville Superspeedway in my Limited. All he did was slip slip slip, followed by a point-by. I had to return the favor on the straight after turn 10

Old 02-20-2012, 11:53 PM

Originally Posted by john book
Sure Howard,,,,,,You and Jim put yourself through drifting school last time you were there.

LOL I took Jim, Tom and Jason through drifting school during the Triangle in the spring LOL granted we had 0 traction until a few feet from the edge of death. Boy that was thrilling, and itsky was with me too lol

Edit: Bottom line, I think Jim is the master amongst us students.

Old 02-21-2012, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by tom2112
Aw hell... here we go again...

Point man speakth ......

Old 02-21-2012, 06:12 AM

I have to agree with the statement about Jim , But I remember one time we where following Tom and went into a right hand 20mph curve @ 60 and the man on the radio got scared and shut up I thought the radio had quit at first..... That was the day I learned about the Aggressive group...

Old 02-21-2012, 08:48 AM

What we learn at the Dragon,
I will drink to this.

And watch out for dogs on these back country roads, I was leading a group and almost made a mess... of the dog and in my pants

Old 02-21-2012, 11:48 AM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

What's a clutch? Kim says she doesn't need the brakes.
I don't need brakes for most of that run ... ask Big Kid. I like to say that I drive killboy style! It will be a knock to the ego when you are hustling to keep up with a Honda Fit screaming thru that road driven by killboy. I learned more about driving up there by chasing that guy thru the curves than I did in all my other trips up there. John is right - smooth is fast!

Nick - you can start being social as soon as I get there.

Evan - don't worry about not being able to shake Dan, he was really quick in his 6sp NA but he is bring a Durango this time. I think you will loose him this time.

Frank/John Book - I didn't need an SRT to have people watching my behind!!! hahahahaha

I can't wait for our Dragon meet!!! Is it time yet??? It seems like half the cars coming are SRT's.....

Old 02-21-2012, 12:06 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by KimPossible
Evan - don't worry about not being able to shake Dan, he was really quick in his 6sp NA but he is bring a Durango this time. I think you will loose him this time.
I'm thinking seriously about bringing the Toyo this time and saving the "Big, Bad D" for the fall. Either way I will be there.

And.....you can't lose me if I'm sittin' beside you.....I hope!!!

Old 02-21-2012, 12:37 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by danimal
I'm thinking seriously about bringing the Toyo this time and saving the "Big, Bad D" for the fall. Either way I will be there.

And.....you can't lose me if I'm sittin' beside you.....I hope!!!
That is true!!! If you bring the Toyo it will be like a little mascot. Tom knows what its like to drive the mascot!!! It you bring the Durango everyone will treat that beast with respect for fear of being run over like little bugs!!!

Old 02-21-2012, 01:29 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

LOL I took Jim, Tom and Jason through drifting school during the Triangle in the spring LOL granted we had 0 traction until a few feet from the edge of death. Boy that was thrilling, and itsky was with me too lol

Edit: Bottom line, I think Jim is the master amongst us students.
Nick I do remember that day very well. As exciting as that slide was the drifting was not the most thrilling moment of the day for me. That came when you completly disapeared into that cloud of dust WOT and I was right behind you also WOT just like the scene in Days of Thunder we punched through. It was over in a flash but man what a rush. That would have been a great gopro cockpit video.

looking forward to running with the group at the up comming Dragon. What do you have planned for us on Friday?

Old 02-21-2012, 03:15 PM

Originally Posted by Bigkid
Nick I do remember that day very well. As exciting as that slide was the drifting was not the most thrilling moment of the day for me. That came when you completly disapeared into that cloud of dust WOT and I was right behind you also WOT just like the scene in Days of Thunder we punched through. It was over in a flash but man what a rush. That would have been a great gopro cockpit video.

looking forward to running with the group at the up comming Dragon. What do you have planned for us on Friday?
I don't really have anything planned for Friday. I don't have a clue of what I want to do. When are you going home?

Quick Reply: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8