Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2012, 01:58 PM
Received 607 Likes on 402 Posts
Default re: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8

Originally Posted by Thirteendog
I totally disagree with this, Franc I think if you brought Crumpies SRT and had a clean run you would be faster through the dragon than you would be in your "roadster with a stick"

I actually agree with you, it pained me driving around with Kyle and Jason last year in their two Aero Blue SRT's. Such a beautiful color, and reminding me so much of my first SRT.
You are suggesting I have not run the Dragon in Crumpy's SRT? That's silly.

There are a few SRT owners who will attest to my claims. And their names might surprise you. In truth, the SRT did not do as well on the slalom course as the NA. NA 69.6 vrs SRT 70.9

Once your extra power breaks the wheels loose, you can't use it anyway. A Viper's power margin is insane but I doubt one could catch a decently handled NA thru the Dragon.

There is a lot more to driving the Dragon than point and squeal. Push and go guys just don't get how useful a stick can be in managing the forces of a car thru a tight road course.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 02-20-2012 at 02:14 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 02:23 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ya ya ya !!!!!! The SRT6 are fast and and nothing that na can do about that unless you drop the the V8 in one , as far has the trubo i;m not sure on that one ,but waiting to see if it going to happen, But having a fast car is nothing unless the driver is fast to !!! , But i can tell you this my NA is still fun as hell to drive !!!!!! and yes i have a SRT 8 and it fun as well , with all this said , let be safe , we have had few close calls in the past few years , let not have anybody get hurt , The Dragon is one thing Susan and I look forward to , sombody getting hurt would end that for everybody ,,

Old 02-20-2012, 02:47 PM
She can ride with me ;)
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
Thanks for the quick reply Tom.....This works out very well then for both of us.
I'll be arriving at the lodge around 10:00pm on Thursday night.
I'll contact you prior to the GTG by phone.
See ya there, Gary
Sounds great Gary. I'll PM you my number to be sure you have it. I should be getting there between 4 and 6pm on Thursday.

Old 02-20-2012, 02:57 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Franc Rauscher
You are suggesting I have not run the Dragon in Crumpy's SRT? That's silly.

There are a few SRT owners who will attest to my claims. And their names might surprise you. In truth, the SRT did not do as well on the slalom course as the NA. NA 69.6 vrs SRT 70.9

Once your extra power breaks the wheels loose, you can't use it anyway. A Viper's power margin is insane but I doubt one could catch a decently handled NA thru the Dragon.

There is a lot more to driving the Dragon than point and squeal. Push and go guys just don't get how useful a stick can be in managing the forces of a car thru a tight road course.
If you have a light foot and quick with an auto stick you can get through the dragon quicker with an SRT than you can with a 5speed NA (lets face it, the 6 speed is really just a 5 speed with a useless 1st gear). In fact I'd say an auto NA is quicker through the dragon than the manual version.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:13 PM

If you have a light foot and quick with an auto stick you can get through the dragon quicker with an SRT than you can with a 5speed NA (lets face it, the 6 speed is really just a 5 speed with a useless 1st gear). In fact I'd say an auto NA is quicker through the dragon than the manual version.
You are welcome to your opinion pal. Proof is on the pavement. I've left it behind me more than once at the Dragon. Biggest competition, from another Crossfire, I ever faced on the Dragon was a manual gearbox NA driven by someone who was really competent.

And you seem to forget I actually own one of these SRT6's, used to own two.

As for this subject, it has been beaten and bled to death before

I've already exceeded my daily posting limit so, since you would take it anyway, I'll give you the last word

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 02-20-2012 at 03:21 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 03:24 PM

You are welcome to your opinion pal. Proof is on the pavement. I've left it behind me more than once at the Dragon. Biggest competition, from another Crossfire, I ever faced on the Dragon was a manual gearbox NA driven by someone who was really competent.

And you seem to forget i actually own one of these SRT6's, used to own two.

As for this subject, it has been bled to death before

I've already exceeded my daily posting limit so, since you would take it anyway, I'll give you the last word
HAHA thanks Franc
You've left other SRT6's behind because it takes big ***** to drive like you do on the Dragon. This is why I said if you drove both, you'd find the SRT is faster.

Oh and I know you had 2 SRT's and the roadster with a stick. My memory isn't fading away that much. Either way I look forward to joining you for a drink in the lodge, and possibly earlier if Kim wants to allow me to be sociable earlier (she'll get that joke)

Old 02-20-2012, 03:50 PM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

In fact I'd say an auto NA is quicker through the dragon than the manual version.
It's faster in the 1/4 mile (mainly due to launch) but a different animal in the twisties.

Also, keep in mind that each gear in the 6MT is higher than the autostick.

For instance, 3rd gear in the 6MT is 1.723 versus 1.486 in the auto.

Multiplied over 311 turns, that slight advantage in ramp-up coupled with the coupe's lighter weight, ability to throttle-brake versus shedding speed with the brake pedal -- it all adds up.

Having played with the autostick in the SRT, I'm shocked at how long it takes to shift. You must bump the lever at least two seconds before wou wish to change gears. When turns are coming at you at the frequency they are in the Dragon, those two seconds of throttle braking can mean the difference between a "panic stab" of the brakes (killing momentum) or simply trail-braking while the gears slow your car's momentum in a controlled fashion. Not to mention, the computer will NEVER take over and shift your car out of the gear you need it to be in with the 6MT.

I recall a certain graphite coupe (no names) that rode with us on Saturday morning last year at the Fall Dragon. His brakes were smoldering at the end of the run when we made a rest stop. Mine weren't breaking a sweat, and I was able to stay tucked behind Steve's '32 on all but the straightest of roads, and I had a passenger + full tank of gas.

Your seat time in the R171 has spoiled you, that transmission is a sweetheart and shifts *exactly* when you want it to. The Crossfire's transmission is much more pre-meditated. Remember also that the SRT's transmission is programmed more aggressively, as is the BCM.

The Limited can stay competitive with the SRT in those technical roads, until the roads straighten out. Hellbender revealed the discrepancy rather quickly. But even with it staying 'competitive', the SRT is still able to get the better of it over the course of eleven miles.

If both Limiteds had identical mods, and the same driver ran each car back-to-back on the Dragon with no traffic, the Limited with 6MT would be significantly faster.

Otherwise, there are simply too many variables and all comparisons between the two machines are worthless, wasted air.

Old 02-20-2012, 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by JHM2K
It's faster in the 1/4 mile (mainly due to launch) but a different animal in the twisties.

Also, keep in mind that each gear in the 6MT is higher than the autostick.

For instance, 3rd gear in the 6MT is 1.723 versus 1.486 in the auto.

Multiplied over 311 turns, that slight advantage in ramp-up coupled with the coupe's lighter weight, ability to throttle-brake versus shedding speed with the brake pedal -- it all adds up.

Having played with the autostick in the SRT, I'm shocked at how long it takes to shift. You must bump the lever at least two seconds before wou wish to change gears. When turns are coming at you at the frequency they are in the Dragon, those two seconds of throttle braking can mean the difference between a "panic stab" of the brakes (killing momentum) or simply trail-braking while the gears slow your car's momentum in a controlled fashion. Not to mention, the computer will NEVER take over and shift your car out of the gear you need it to be in with the 6MT.

I recall a certain graphite coupe (no names) that rode with us on Saturday morning last year at the Fall Dragon. His brakes were smoldering at the end of the run when we made a rest stop. Mine weren't breaking a sweat, and I was able to stay tucked behind Steve's '32 on all but the straightest of roads, and I had a passenger + full tank of gas.

Your seat time in the R171 has spoiled you, that transmission is a sweetheart and shifts *exactly* when you want it to. The Crossfire's transmission is much more pre-meditated. Remember also that the SRT's transmission is programmed more aggressively, as is the BCM.

The Limited can stay competitive with the SRT in those technical roads, until the roads straighten out. Hellbender revealed the discrepancy rather quickly. But even with it staying 'competitive', the SRT is still able to get the better of it over the course of eleven miles.

If both Limiteds had identical mods, and the same driver ran each car back-to-back on the Dragon with no traffic, the Limited with 6MT would be significantly faster.

Otherwise, there are simply too many variables and all comparisons between the two machines are worthless, wasted air.
Ah there's to thing though, on the Dragon in a NA Auto there are only 5 to 6 shifts for the entire 11 miles. As always I'm thinking of TN to NC. From the start you may get up to 4th before it's time to drop it back to 2nd. You'll stay in second until you reach the one and only straight away where you will be in the middle of 3 before going back to 2nd. That's it, you can hang out in 2nd the entire time and be in a healthy RPM range. Granted getting terrible gas mileage. How many times did you shift the white one?

Old 02-20-2012, 04:20 PM

Ah there's to thing though, on the Dragon in a NA Auto there are only 5 to 6 shifts for the entire 11 miles. As always I'm thinking of TN to NC. From the start you may get up to 4th before it's time to drop it back to 2nd. You'll stay in second until you reach the one and only straight away where you will be in the middle of 3 before going back to 2nd. That's it, you can hang out in 2nd the entire time and be in a healthy RPM range. Granted getting terrible gas mileage. How many times did you shift the white one?
311 times.

Shorter gearing equals the 2-3 dance on most corners... My wrist hadn't gotten a workout like that since high-school. My calves looked like Popeye.

On my original point, the only way to really *prove* superiority of one versus the other is the same car, same mods, same driver, same conditions.

A crazy driver nets faster times. A talented driver nets even faster ones. A crazy driver with talent is the sweet-spot (think Ken Block).

At least in the N/A, you can afford to be a little crazy because the low power keeps the car settled. Otherwise, you're Steve.

Old 02-20-2012, 04:40 PM

311 times.

Shorter gearing equals the 2-3 dance on most corners... My wrist hadn't gotten a workout like that since high-school. My calves looked like Popeye.

On my original point, the only way to really *prove* superiority of one versus the other is the same car, same mods, same driver, same conditions.

A crazy driver nets faster times. A talented driver nets even faster ones. A crazy driver with talent is the sweet-spot (think Ken Block).

At least in the N/A, you can afford to be a little crazy because the low power keeps the car settled. Otherwise, you're Steve.
With the SRT you'll find that you can go faster by backing out earlier just to hold the car in 2nd gear. Otherwise it'll want to shift mid turn and you and I both know that's a big no no. You can always try to manually shift it early, but that's just a complete waste of time. Also there are a few spots where you'll hit 3rd and on the long straight the car will be ready to go into 4th. But if you get that crazy you're running over 100 mph

Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM

With the SRT you'll find that you can go faster by backing out earlier just to hold the car in 2nd gear. Otherwise it'll want to shift mid turn and you and I both know that's a big no no. You can always try to manually shift it early, but that's just a complete waste of time. Also there are a few spots where you'll hit 3rd and on the long straight the car will be ready to go into 4th. But if you get that crazy you're running over 100 mph
And with a manual tranny, you can feather the clutch to give you exactly the downshift braking you want, exactly when you want it. And you can vary it to the conditions of every turn and twist in the road.

It is a whole nuther axis of control over the vehicle.

Try that with an auto stick

I did and it wasn't better in the SRT. In fact the shifter kept changing the gears because halfway thru a turn the G forces make it hard to shift precisely. Hence the advantge of paddle shifters.

Last edited by Franc Rauscher; 02-20-2012 at 05:00 PM.
Old 02-20-2012, 04:53 PM

My first few times with the added 175 horsepower will be tentative, just to feel it out.

I'll remember the tip about 2nd gear, I follow your logic completely.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:00 PM

And with a manual tranny, you can feather the clutch to give you exactly the downshift braking you want, exactly when you want it. And you can vary it to the conditions of every turn and twist in the road.

It is a whole nuther axis of control over the vehicle.

Try that with an auto stick

I did and it wasn't better in the SRT. In fact the shifter kept changing the gears because halfway thru a turn the forces make it hard to shift precisely. Hence the advantge of paddle shifters.
What's a clutch? Kim says she doesn't need the brakes.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:02 PM

What's a clutch? Kim says she doesn't need the brakes.
Wimp@sses don't know what a clutch is either.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:15 PM

Wimp@sses don't know what a clutch is either.
I think the way it's going my kids won't know what a clutch pedal is either.

Old 02-20-2012, 05:42 PM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Calm down Franc before you blow a spark plug. I will say the new limited slip rearend is great on the twisties...felt a lot better, although the coupe still has A/S radials on it in stock configuration...so, all we did was spin for the most part. The stick has an advantage on the dragon, but not so much on the likes of the hellbender...maybe this fall we will bring the roadster back...it has the summer compound tires...anyway, just be safe out there...keep your blood pressure down.....lol....

Old 02-20-2012, 05:52 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I wasn't so active with the kiddos, I'd still be going.

Every year, my church fills up Murphy Center at MTSU in Murfreesboro. Last year we had 17,000 in attendance... I always work with the Kidz-Blitz team and we had a huge crowd. I was on stage, getting Nerf ***** thrown at me and keeping score for the games. Audience is K-3rd grade... they have a blast.

As much as I love my Crossfire, I can't give up the Sunday. You guys enjoy in good health, and be safe.
Would love to be there if it weren't on Easter Weekend...LOL

Old 02-20-2012, 06:24 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Franc, John you have got to try the SRT with paddle shifters and the speedriven tcm installed. Shifts are crisp and immediant with quicker throttle tip in. No wasted left foot dance, or right hand off the wheel to the stick during g's. plenty of control in managing the weight and speed of the car. Not saying it's better but you need to experience it.

Old 02-20-2012, 06:39 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 627 Likes on 428 Posts

Originally Posted by tom2112
Sounds great Gary. I'll PM you my number to be sure you have it. I should be getting there between 4 and 6pm on Thursday.
I'll let the front desk know to give you a room key so you won't need to wait for me.
I will arrive around 10pm Thursday after a night run through the Dragon in my rental car

Old 02-20-2012, 07:00 PM

What we learn at the Dragon,

Quick Reply: 5th Annual Spring 2012 Tail of the Dragon GTG - April 6, 7, 8