Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions
View Poll Results: Would you like to participate in Crossfires Across America?
Yes, count me in.
88.44%
Yes, count me in AND I want to help with the organization.
11.56%
Voters: 147. You may not vote on this poll

Join our first Crossfires Across America Rally - St.Louis, Mo. June 22, 23 & 24 -2010

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2009 | 10:39 PM
Default re: Join our first Crossfires Across America Rally - St.Louis, Mo. June 22, 23 & 24 -2010

100 is doable...should be a blast...and to all Indiana XF's....we will gtg in the spring for sure to plan a drive out...should be a fun 4 hrs drive....

Old 09-22-2009 | 09:22 AM
Default re: Join our first Crossfires Across America Rally - St.Louis, Mo. June 22, 23 & 24 -2010

Originally Posted by oledoc2u
100 is doable...should be a blast...and to all Indiana XF's....we will gtg in the spring for sure to plan a drive out...should be a fun 4 hrs drive....
Count me in buddy. Trying to get my parents to drive up the roadster from south florida too.... don't think it will happen.

Old 09-22-2009 | 11:26 PM

Originally Posted by Larry Hitze
The wife and I are planning to attend barring any unforseen event. I'll have no problem getting vacation time. St. Louis is only about 4 hours of easy driving. Is there any solid info about routes people are taking as to meet up?
I'm in Lafayette, Indiana With enough lead time we are good to go.

Last edited by Larry Hitze; 09-22-2009 at 11:32 PM.
Old 09-23-2009 | 11:05 AM

Originally Posted by SRT SIX
You would probably want to convoy with the group from SoCal. I am figuring to drive conservative (and enjoy the drive) it will take appx 3 days. I haven't figured out a route yet and where the first "rest stop" will be, maybe you AZ guys can advise.

Perhaps pick up NM, CO, OK, West TX on the way. Feel free to suggest.

I also want to put in a plug for Cars N Coffee in Irvine on Sep 26th. SoCal and area Crossfires will have an impact on the producers (they will be there filming) of the TV special we are working on about all of this (better than 50% chance it will happen).

https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...fee-redux.html
Hey, sorry guys, had a lot going on in my life recently, haven't been able to keep up with the thread. I'll make sure to try and work on that from now on. As for routes, looking at the map, I was thinking about stopping in Albuquerque, NM the first day, Oklahoma City, OK the second day, and then finishing the drive into St. Louis the third day. Sorry I hadn't posted this up on the thread yet, had been PM'ing various people for ideas and routes before trying to throw anything up.

Makes each leg of the trip (at least, for us AZ'ers), right around an 8 hour drive a day. If that's good, then it works. If not (more, less) someone let me know. Right now, I have it planned out to meet up with the TX group in OK City, and then convoy up to St. Louis the next day together. It does make for a bit longer first day for those coming from SoCal, if SRT_SIX and his folks want to drive with the Phoenix people and meet up in Albuquerque.

tighed1, sorry that I haven't called or anything to cement times to leave yet. It's looking like either the 18th or 19th of June. Depends on whether we want to be driving into St. Louis on the 22nd, or get there on the 21st. Either / or works for me (this is, of course, a question for the SoCal people as well, if we all are going to be convoying out there together). I'll try to get a call out to you sometime this week, and we can talk over the phone or maybe meet up somewhere and discuss things.

Another question, to concern those of us that are convoying together to St. Louis - has anyone thought about how to stay in contact with those in the convoy? I mean, if we need to stop for drinks / food / bathroom breaks / gas? Granted, we can plan out 'scheduled' stops, but that won't account for everything / everyone. I was thinking maybe those in each convoy can get long-range walkie-talkies to stay in touch. Easier than cell phone calls to one another, especially in some places that may not have service / those that don't have phones. Was just a thought, maybe get some input from others on the board?

Anywho, sorry everyone for the long post! Just had a bit to say, since I'd been out of the loop for a bit!

Old 09-23-2009 | 01:13 PM

When the wife & I drove separate Merkur XR4Ti's up to the All-Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA every year, we stayed in touch using 2-way Cobra walkie-talkies. These worked really great! And I think my set, since it's probably 8-9 years old, has a range of only 2-3 miles. But for only a couple of cars, it's all we needed back then. And probably still takes care of a larger group today, as long as you're not trying to make contact with someone who's remotely located from your spot.

I'd encourage anyone planning on making this trip from any & all points to go out & purchase a set of portable 2-way radios. Expense is less than $100 and can be used for many activities outside of this event. Roberta & I have used these at car shows, county & state fairs, concerts, whatever.

Just be aware that you're using a device on an open channel that can be scanned by anyone out there with a similar device. Roberta & I occasionally found our conversation interrupted by someone with a scanner unit that could pick up our frequency. The truckers nearly all have a scanner unit and could listen in on your conversation. And if I was one of them out there on an open road by my lonesome, I'd want a scanner too to be able to reach for help or pass along a message.

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-23-2009 at 01:19 PM.
Old 09-23-2009 | 01:16 PM

Originally Posted by dedwards0323
When the wife & I drove separate Merkur XR4Ti's up to the All-Ford Nationals in Carlisle, PA every year, we stayed in touch using 2-way Cobra walkie-talkies. These worked really great! And I think my set, since it's probably 8-9 years old, has a range of only 2-3 miles. But for only a couple of cars, it's all we needed back then. And probably still takes care of a larger group today, as long as you're not trying to make contact with someone who's remotely located from your spot.

I'd encourage anyone planning on making this trip from any & all points to go out & purchase a set of portable 2-way radios. Expense is less than $100 and can be used for many activities outside of this event. Roberta & I have used these at car shows, county & state fairs, concerts, whatever.
Although it shouldn't really matter, might want to get a consensus on radio types, perhaps a particular brand. Would be best to try and keep them the same, just to be sure we don't get any snags along the way with one brand not being able to talk to another, or some other such thing. Not that it's probable, but anything's possible.

Old 09-23-2009 | 01:32 PM

I think that the earlier we arrive in STL the better. Will allow time to get situated and acquainted with others.
Heck I don't know!

Old 09-23-2009 | 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
I think that the earlier we arrive in STL the better. Will allow time to get situated and acquainted with others.
Heck I don't know!
That's fine by me. We can leave earlyish on the 18th. I mean, 8 hours or so of drive time (possibly more, factoring in rest, gas, and food stops) isn't too bad. If you'd like to drive more, we can, or less.

Old 09-24-2009 | 07:54 PM
Administrator / Senior Member

I just received the following PM.....

Please add me to the get together in June.
I live in warrensburg MO, about 90 min east of St Louis

I have added to the list:
97) green-ghost - Warrensburg, Missouri

Last edited by Valk; 09-24-2009 at 08:31 PM.
Old 09-24-2009 | 08:37 PM

3 to go....woo hoo....

Old 09-24-2009 | 08:39 PM
|

Re concerns about staying touch.....

We still have some time to get this sorted out. That is why we set this up originally for a year in the future.

Besides the Discovery channel deal I am working on, I am also working to see if my company will provide netbooks for each group. They would be connected 3G systems so we can actually post progress, problems and situations daily for those not attending to follow along, LIVE.

Along with this we may contact a company that provides "push to talk cells" for the groups.

Keep the ideas coming.

Karl

Old 09-24-2009 | 08:40 PM

I'm in....taking the whole week off to help out anyway I can...logistics, whatever...

Old 09-24-2009 | 08:54 PM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I just received the following PM.....

Please add me to the get together in June.
I live in warrensburg MO, about 90 min east of St Louis

I have added to the list:
97) green-ghost - Warrensburg, Missouri
We may have to factor in a trip to bring green-ghost in, he is not East of STL, he is very West of it...did you read the PM wrong Gary?

Old 09-24-2009 | 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Erzer
We may have to factor in a trip to bring green-ghost in, he is not East of STL, he is very West of it...did you read the PM wrong Gary?
I copy and pasted exactly what he sent me.

Old 09-24-2009 | 11:04 PM

Originally Posted by tighed1
Heck I don't know!
Will only take us 1 day to get there from VA. Will get there Sunday at the latest, and stay through to Friday at least.

Old 09-25-2009 | 12:53 AM

I'm driving the 5 hours on Monday morning and will arrive around noon.
Leaving sometime Friday afternoon I suspect
I've already booked my room at Harrahs for M,T,W & Th nights.

Old 09-25-2009 | 06:17 AM

It's only a 10-hr drive for us from SC. But we plan to take our time and do the trip in 5-6 hour segments over a couple of days. We'll get there mid-afternoon on Monday. Plan to leave late afternoon on Thursday - have to be back at work on Saturday. We booked our rooms already for M,T,& W, but we'll stay at Homewood Suites just down the road from Harrah's. Simple decision - stay at Homewood is free!

Last edited by dedwards0323; 09-25-2009 at 06:20 AM.
Old 09-25-2009 | 08:21 AM

Looks to be about an 8 hour drive for us. We'll leave early on Monday and get there about 4-5 oclock that afternoon. Would be great to catch up with anyone coming in from the west on I-40 or up from the south on I-35.
If not, then we'll see everyone there.

Old 09-28-2009 | 11:53 PM

I received a PM and just added #98
98) fridge - Pinehurst, North Carolina

Old 09-29-2009 | 10:33 AM

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY
I received a PM and just added #98
98) fridge - Pinehurst, North Carolina
Almost to the big '100'.. Wow, this is really going to be quite the turnout (assuming everyone on the list is still committed to going)! Still really excited about going!

On a side note, do we have any radio geeks out there that know more about walkie-talkies than I do? Mil-spec stuff, I can help with, but I doubt most of us can get our hands on that kind of stuff.

Quick Reply: Join our first Crossfires Across America Rally - St.Louis, Mo. June 22, 23 & 24 -2010