Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

2nd annual Spring 2009-Tail of the Dragon meet - April 3, 4, 5

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 01:24 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default re: 2nd annual Spring 2009-Tail of the Dragon Crossfire meet April 3, 4 & 5

Thank you to everyone who made it a great dragon. I have always been a 'car guy' and always had an obsession with driving, but the dragon was one of the best drives I have ever had, period. Thanks to all those who made it a great time, on the pavement, and into the booze

Here is one of my favorite pics so far, I am chasing Doc through some twisties and we are both on it pretty good. WHAT AN ABSOLUTE BLAST!!!

I kept up well in the turns, but in a straight, it was over. Next time hopefully I will have the turbo kit done... you will be behind me LOL

Old 04-07-2009, 02:06 PM
Default re: 2nd annual Spring 2009-Tail of the Dragon Crossfire meet April 3, 4 & 5

John- that is a great picture. I loaded many of ours in an album just now. There may be more, but it's at 55 or so- lots of shots.
Speaking of photos, I really wanted to get a photo of each member with their name. We left on Sunday in such a rush I didn't even say goodbye to people.
Valk wants to post pictures- please put your names and screen names with his pictures.
Speaking of goodbye- Steve! Bye! Gary wanted me to explain: I didn't think you had a "scruffy" look last year, that you had a Southern Gentleman thing going on at least to this Yankee. We got home and the 3 neighbors watching the Yorkie said he hardly had any time to rest, walks, visitors in and visits over to homes, then more walks. He did sleep on Monday most all day no wonder he was tired.
It has snowed on and off here yesterday and today-this blows! By the way a sincere thank you to everyone who had an interest in the mugs, Gary (mine) wants me to switch to something that doesn't weigh so much say stickers, ha ha. He'd need to work out a deal with James first!
Kurts-I'm not sure what to say about the additional husband info....creepy, interesting...hum. I do want to state publicly that there are clear and inflexable boundries for #2 and up....it's good to have friends but I have more than enough to handle with my one real husband!

Old 04-07-2009, 02:39 PM
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Rapp's yellow CF
Kurts-I'm not sure what to say about the additional husband info....creepy, interesting...hum. I do want to state publicly that there are clear and inflexable boundries for #2 and up....it's good to have friends but I have more than enough to handle with my one real husband!
Ann-my heart is broken. I figured I was the next in line!.

Sorry Gary, you know how it goes sometimes...

Old 04-07-2009, 03:51 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 627 Likes on 428 Posts

I got this email from Debbie at Fontana Lodge today.....

Hi Gary. I hope all went well with you and your group this past weekend. It's fortunate the weather was so good, as we have 4-5 inches of snow on the ground today, the most accumulation we've had at Fontana all year! If the ground wasn't so warm when the snow began we'd probably have a foot.
As it is, the temp is above freezing so it won't last long (thank goodness).

Thanks, and I'll see you in the fall!

Debbie Rich
Group Sales Manager
Fontana Village Resort

Old 04-07-2009, 03:52 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Hi Guys!!

Got in about 6PM last night. 1564 miles round trip!! The only bad part was yesterday from Atlanta to Orlando - boring, boring, boring 75!!! I had a great time meeting all of you. Gary & Dan - thank you so much for all the planning you did, made my life very easy the last few days! I had a great run in with the Southern Caravan on Friday .... you guys ROCK!! It was great spending time with the "Yellow Contingent" - they looked so pretty together. Thank you to Franc & Cathy for teaching me how to use the autostick correctly - you started a whole new level of my love affair with my car. Rob & Trey were great running the Dragon on Sunday morning .... I am still convinced that there is a gas station somewhere at the other end of the dragon

I have pictures of lots of you all, so if you were in front of me or behind me at any point during the weekend, please send me a PM with your e-mail so I can get you those pics.

I did a little sight seeing/shopping on my way out of town heading to Atlanta. A local musician hooked me up with a CD of his music about the Dragon. Its actually really good if you like blues. His name is Tommy Cowell if anyone in interested ... he said he was on iTunes. The back of his CD has a poem about the Dragon. Anyone who met me knows that I am NOT a poem girl, but I thought this was nice .... so here it is.

Misty Dragon - mountain high
Smoke & leather - do or die
On golden wings - angels fly
To tame the dragon in the sky
Road of thunder - metal flash
Burning rubber - smoke & ash
Road to glory - heaven's gate
Eleven miles where angels wait

Hope you guys like it as much as I did - really speaks about that road!

Old 04-07-2009, 04:12 PM

Originally Posted by KimPossible
Hi Guys!!

I did a little sight seeing/shopping on my way out of town heading to Atlanta. A local musician hooked me up with a CD of his music about the Dragon. Its actually really good if you like blues. His name is Tommy Cowell if anyone in interested ... he said he was on iTunes. The back of his CD has a poem about the Dragon. Anyone who met me knows that I am NOT a poem girl, but I thought this was nice .... so here it is.

That is a great poem and thanks for sharing it with us here.
I love it !!!

Old 04-07-2009, 05:58 PM

Glad you like it!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:02 PM
Forum Regular
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice find, Kim!

Old 04-07-2009, 06:03 PM

Originally Posted by KimPossible
Hi Guys!!

Got in about 6PM last night. 1564 miles round trip!! The only bad part was yesterday from Atlanta to Orlando - boring, boring, boring 75!!! I had a great time meeting all of you. Gary & Dan - thank you so much for all the planning you did, made my life very easy the last few days! I had a great run in with the Southern Caravan on Friday .... you guys ROCK!! It was great spending time with the "Yellow Contingent" - they looked so pretty together. Thank you to Franc & Cathy for teaching me how to use the autostick correctly - you started a whole new level of my love affair with my car. Rob & Trey were great running the Dragon on Sunday morning .... I am still convinced that there is a gas station somewhere at the other end of the dragon

I have pictures of lots of you all, so if you were in front of me or behind me at any point during the weekend, please send me a PM with your e-mail so I can get you those pics.

Would the music go along well with the video?

Here are the 2 videos of the Dragon, I made them a little bigger. You will need Quicktime to view them as I made the on a Mac. I muted all of the audio as all I had was major wind noise, if anyone can make suggestions for music, I will look into adding some for the DVD.

http://scottandvirginia.gotdns.org:4...agon_run_1.mov

http://scottandvirginia.gotdns.org:4...agon_run_3.mov

There is no Dragon_run_2.mov, the camera fell backward and all I got was sky so I canned it. So the numbers represent my actual runs.

Also, I made an album of my pics too:
http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/viewalbum.aspx?a=585060

If everyone did this, us rookies would have an easier time =)

Old 04-07-2009, 06:09 PM

I think so ... check out the samples on iTunes to see if you want any of the tunes.

The tracks are: 1.Dragon Sunrise 2. Mercy on Me 3. The Kickstand Blues (my fav) 4. Dragon Knights 5. Lazy Afternoon Blues 6. Misty Mountains High 7. Sweet Southern Ride 8. Ride Faster

The guy's name is Tommy Cowell if you are interested.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:35 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

I got home about 3:30 PM Monday afternoon with only a few spots of rain but I was dead tired between staying up late and getting up early everyday. The dragon was great this year it seems that each meet gets better than the previous one. I saw a lot of old friends and met some new ones and I also would like to thank CICCI for sponsoring the Chestnut Room at Fontana Village for the bar-b-que on Saturday night it was awsome. This year I stayed for the Sunday drive and the weather was unbelievable we hit 87 degrees for a high with top down driving and a face full of sunburn, nose is peeling today. For anyone who has never been to the "Tail of the Dragon" you should really consider going in the fall you will not regret it. Also thanks to Gary(Valk) who did another great job as usual. Pat

P.S. I wish I would have had more time so I could have washed Jane's car for her.

Old 04-07-2009, 06:46 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Scott, thanks for posting the videos!

Are those in slow motion or what?

Old 04-07-2009, 06:50 PM

You SRT guys are all alike - LOL

I was a rookie!

I thought I did pretty well on that last run, but watching the video, I see where I can go faster, and take a few of those turns a bit better, also may help not to have the wife in the car - LOL

DVD's are better

Old 04-07-2009, 06:53 PM

THE PROMO CODE TO USE FOR THE 20% DISCOUNT AT http://www.us129photos.com/ IS CROSSFIRE09

I talked with Dave today and he will be at the Fall meet on Halloween weekend.

Also check out there home page on the website.
Some of our pics are featured for this weeks photos.
You can right click on these and save them to your PC
They are not copyright protected as Dave mentioned.

Gary

Old 04-07-2009, 07:02 PM

Hands you set a great pace, and I truly enjoyed the sound of your exhaust system thru all the straight aways. I had plenty left too it was hooking up like it was glued to the road and the motorcylce was falling back at some points. You and your wife put the icing on the cake for an already great weekend. Take care and we're looking forward of doing this agiain in 6 months!!

Old 04-07-2009, 07:32 PM
She can ride with me ;)

Originally Posted by Scottw60
You SRT guys are all alike - LOL

I was a rookie!
LOL, it's all good, Scott.

You hung with Jim and I through the dragon. Shame we couldn't jump over those cruiser bikes in front of us, or we'd have had a really sweet video that couldn't be turned over to law enforcement.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:58 PM

I still need to get the pics into my gallery but they all can be seen here for now.....

http://www.kodakgallery.com/ShareLanding.action?c=8g1eats7.8npgvvc7&x=0&y=ahg0 h&localeid=en_US

Old 04-07-2009, 08:30 PM

Nice Pictures Gary!

I was so busy taking the video, and talking that I didn't take many pictures at all.

Old 04-07-2009, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular

BTW - has anyone heard from "Toy"?

John & Marilyn have been with the Dragon GTG's from the beginning except for last weekend.

Old 04-07-2009, 09:54 PM
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Jeff Cobb
BTW - has anyone heard from "Toy"?

John & Marilyn have been with the Dragon GTG's from the beginning except for last weekend.

I wondered the same thing before I left for the Dragon but it looks like he has not logged on since the middle of February. I hope everything is OK.

Quick Reply: 2nd annual Spring 2009-Tail of the Dragon meet - April 3, 4, 5