Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" meet - April 4, 5, 6

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2008, 10:17 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re: 1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" MEET!

Glad to see that you made it home. I had a good trip aslo I sure did enjoy the whole thing hope to see all next time.

PokyPoky

Old 04-08-2008, 05:08 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just wanted to thank all the crossfire members that went to the dragon. I had a great time!!! I'll miss washing my car without the "girls" around. I would like to thank Jane for the great job she did of leading our group around and making sure we all made it back to the lodge. Bill you did a great job on the event, but would suggest in the fall to plan more time between events. The ride home was great, sun shining and in the 70's most of the way. Traffic was much lighter and arrived home around 10:20 pm. A special thanks to Ann, Gary, Gary, and Lisa for getting together for the run to and from the dragon. It made the ride much more enjoyable. Gary for this event you were the 3rd amigo and will be our 4rth amigo for Woodward when FP joins us. I look forward to the fall event.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:03 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Special NOTICE:

to All Spring & Last Fall's Dragon Drivers!

"Hey Bill: If I did the Promo code right " crossfire ", everyone should be able to get 15% off any of the things they purchase from us on the Site.

Thanks again,
Dave Allison
Us129photos.com (Xtreme Sports Photography)"

I believe the Offer will be Good until June 30, 2008,
(Please let Me know with a PM if it doesn't work for you)

Last edited by SilverFox; 04-08-2008 at 09:54 AM.
Old 04-08-2008, 07:08 AM

Bill...I am home safe and sound. Thanks for a great job on this GTG. How do I say Congratulations and Condolences all in one message? Wish Saturdays weather could have been better but I did finally get some good footage on Sunday and even some night footage on Sunday night.
THANKS TO EVERYONE WHO CAME! Sorry I was late on Saturday and didn't get to meet everyone but circumstances being what they are I was glad that I could make it at all. THANKs to Bill, Jane and everyone for all the hard work and freindship...if this was not my last ride I hope to see everyone in the fall!

Old 04-08-2008, 12:44 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Hello to all ,Sue and I got home to day . Weather was great sun. mon. tue. Even if the weather was bad over the weekend still had great time learn alot about are crossfire last weekend and what it could do in wet weather. Would like to thank Bill for the time he put into this Meet . What can say but ! you all are great group ! Look forward to the fall meet. will post some pic as soon as i get time

Old 04-08-2008, 01:20 PM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

I've arrived back in FL safe and sound. Bill, and all, thank you for a wonderful time. I had a great time in spite of the weather. I also have some great info on car parts to share with all as soon as I can get upacked and take a moment to create what will probably be a long post. Imafink2 (Pat) told me about an importer in Winston-Salem......so I paid them a visit and I think it will pay off in a big way.......more later.

Old 04-08-2008, 01:49 PM
Forum Regular

Grace and I send our many Thanks! to Bill for doing a great job, and Sorry about the car . Hope your doing OK. A special thanks also to Jane, for heading up our group and taking us through the run. We would have all been lost without you.

To everyone else, It was great to meet the people behind the names. We enjoyed the entire weekend and hope everyone made it home safe. We hope to meet again in the fall.

Old 04-08-2008, 02:56 PM
Forum Regular

My friend Julie wrote this article about this past weekend. I'm very touched by it and want to share it with you all. Unfortuantely, I can't get the picture to transfer. I'm hoping someone out there will help me get these pictures on this forum so you can see what I would love to share.

Oh Whatta Rush!

Ever wish someone would give you a really Hot car? Someone loaned me a HOT car for the weekend and I gotta tell y’all about it. A luscious beast of a car, Crossfire SRT6 tames 316 curves in 11 miles with ease, but not without a raised heart rate and massive dose of adrenaline. My adrenaline buddy and adrenaline (gotta have more) dealer is Dr. Jane Bridges. She is owner of not one but two SRT6s. One is setup for road course, usually the enclosed kind such as Putnam Park, usually #26. The other is the daily dose dispenser, #61. Both are charcoal and externally identical baring a few numbers on the IU license plates. Also, the racer version sports Michelins "streetable" race tires and the other OEM Continentals.
Crossfireforum.org group held a Crossfire gathering at Fontana Village Resort, NC April 4, 5 & 6 of 2008. It was a stereotypical lodge for a mystic mountainous area in the Smoky Mountains National Park. It is a sacred place. Our sins there this weekend will eventually be forgotten. Some folks touted 30 mpg while some of us more aggressive drivers polluted at the rate of 20-24mpg in these God-given 6 bangers. The VW Rabbits, oh, I mean, GTIs added to the noise pollution. The sound of a happy Crossfire is music. My radio was off.
There were four or five dozen Crossfires of various years, colors, coupe, and roadsters. Some sported modifications while most had their classic beauty in tact. Pictures can be found at killboy.com and US129photos.com. As normal now in the digital age the picture taking was abundant, especially the morning we all gathered the Crossfires at Fontana Dam. Killboy was there for the professional shoot. The glorious smoke of the Great Smokey Mountains hung seemingly unreal in front of us and often enough, right on top of us.
US129 between the Foothills Parkway and Deals Gap, NC is the world famous Tail of the Dragon. Famous motorcycle world champions have hung items on the Tree of Shame there in Deals Gap including MotoGP World Champion Nicky Hayden of Owensboro, KY. They are items signifying many misjudgments slaying the Dragon. Even though motorcyclists come from across the country to push it in the 319 closely nested curves, automobile drivers utilize their autocross skills for satisfaction. The mental struggle is to keep it on the safe side (right of yellow, left of white). There is a bit of a roulette challenge that the oncoming drivers stay on their own side on a road course that is famous for deaths and varied tragedies. Successes are cherished.
There was only one totaled Crossfire SRT6 on the Tail that weekend. The driver and passenger are fortunate and fine. They were Dragon Tailers from the area. Never take fire for granted either. The passenger had totaled his Crossfire the week before the gathering. With all the forgiving embellishments of ABS and Traction Control, the cars still have a human factor.
Hellbender 28 is a stretch of US28 in North Carolina that allows for longer acceleration before heavy braking. Without further elaboration, there was an overdose for a few folks. Hellbender is a favorite.
Charohala Skyway is a highway that runs across the Charohala Mountain range in North Carolina. As an event, a caravan of Crossfires made a big loop through US129, US143, and Hellbender28. It was loads of fun to drive. The visibility in the skyline was often reduced to ten feet when the altitude was around 5,000 feet. The normal ability to see for miles was robbed by the moisture. This might have been good as we were then able to focus on the task at hand – not crunching a valuable machine and staying alive. The highway cost $100,000,000 to construct yet not the slightest bit straight.
Dr Jane has my appreciation and I consider her the world’s most generous racer. She is tough on the road and sweet in the heart. Thank you, Dr. Jane! It was also a pleasure to share her Crossfireforum.org friends, but not least her great friends Barb and Gary!
Julie Grundhoefer
Ref: tailofthedragon.com

Old 04-08-2008, 03:11 PM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 626 Likes on 427 Posts

Awesome write up indeed. I love it. It was a great weekend and I had the privilege of being one of the Crossfires in the pack being led by Jane and Julie. Great job ladies !!
Please come back in the fall for the next meet. Gary

Old 04-08-2008, 04:35 PM

Jane and Julie- It was a pleasure to have meet and run the dragon with you. Hope to see you both in the fall.

Old 04-08-2008, 05:33 PM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks Jane for putting Up with me and susan . You did a great job taking us around the loop We may have started last but we came in frist . What great time !!!

Old 04-08-2008, 06:04 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

On Saturday I didn't much care I'd miss the "big run". Just the thought of getting back to the resort, from lunch, was almost more than I wanted to endure-I've never been motion sick before-not a fun experience. I did manage to "slay the bed" once there having fallen into a woosy nap. Now reading all of the posts I am sorry I didn't get to go, but even more sorry for my hubby who went back with me so I'd not be alone- what a guy. The motion sickness pills are now in the glove box, I am pretty sure I'll never be "going for a spin" with Jane, but it sounds like a great ride, she'd get a surprise- urp............. I'll just watch from the edge of the road.

Old 04-08-2008, 07:04 PM
Thumbs up re: 1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" MEET!

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
I just wanted to thank all the crossfire members that went to the dragon. I had a great time!!! I'll miss washing my car without the "girls" around. I would like to thank Jane for the great job she did of leading our group around and making sure we all made it back to the lodge. Bill you did a great job on the event, but would suggest in the fall to plan more time between events. The ride home was great, sun shining and in the 70's most of the way. Traffic was much lighter and arrived home around 10:20 pm. A special thanks to Ann, Gary, Gary, and Lisa for getting together for the run to and from the dragon. It made the ride much more enjoyable. Gary for this event you were the 3rd amigo and will be our 4rth amigo for Woodward when FP joins us. I look forward to the fall event.
Here's the 3/4 Amigos & msxfire on the Dragon Sunday 4/6 (less Rain), Tops Down, all except Gary's that is (Photos by Xtreme Sports) :

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...946&g=00&s=750
Photo's # 775 thru 785 Page 31 & 32 (If 25 Std per Page)

Here they are Sunday on the Dragon, (Photos by Zee's):

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...223&g=07&s=225
Photo's # 226 thru 244 Page 10 (If 25 Std per Page)

Here they are Sunday on the Dragon, (Photos by killboy):

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...986&g=01&s=175
Photo's # 183 thru 208 Pages 8 & 9 (If 25 Std per Page)

My Best,

Bill (SF)

Last edited by SilverFox; 04-08-2008 at 07:36 PM.
Old 04-08-2008, 09:09 PM

Here is the Fontana Dam Dragon Meet Photo Shoot (by killboy):

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Albu....aspx?a=499103

Enjoy the 151 pics in a Slide Show!
Bill (SF)

Last edited by SilverFox; 04-08-2008 at 09:16 PM.
Old 04-09-2008, 08:19 AM

Originally Posted by SilverFox
Here's the 3/4 Amigos & msxfire on the Dragon Sunday 4/6 (less Rain), Tops Down, all except Gary's that is (Photos by Xtreme Sports) :

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...946&g=00&s=750
Photo's # 775 thru 785 Page 31 & 32 (If 25 Std per Page)

Here they are Sunday on the Dragon, (Photos by Zee's):

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...223&g=07&s=225
Photo's # 226 thru 244 Page 10 (If 25 Std per Page)

Here they are Sunday on the Dragon, (Photos by killboy):

http://www.photoreflect.com/pr3/Thum...986&g=01&s=175
Photo's # 183 thru 208 Pages 8 & 9 (If 25 Std per Page)

My Best,

Bill (SF)
Thanks Bill for the post here. I hope the 4th amigo (FP) is with us in the fall.
Just to clarify for the others the three amigos are:
Valkryderguy, (Gary) Rapps Yellow CF (Gary and Ann) and Crossfirefrank (Frank)

Last edited by Valk; 04-09-2008 at 08:26 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 09:17 AM

Hey Bill, Can you get killboy to offer the same 15% discount as you did with us129? I would think he would be willing to and if not I would think about using us129 in the fall. I plan on purchasing many photo's killboy took of us and it would be nice to get a discount. Please let me know.

Old 04-09-2008, 10:23 AM

A request to all who just attended the Dragon......

Please click here to go to my gallery and look for your photo taken with your car that I took at the Dam and use the
"post a comment" to state your member screen name and real first name.
Unfortunately I can't remember everyone I met.
I want to edit the photos with this info.
Thanks and I will be checking daily for updates.

Last edited by Valk; 04-09-2008 at 11:16 AM.
Old 04-09-2008, 03:22 PM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by VALKRYDERGUY

Please click here to go to my gallery and look for your photo taken with your car that I took at the Dam and use the

nicely documented V!

Old 04-10-2008, 03:41 PM

Where did everybody go ??
We had more than 50 members attend.
I thought there would be a lot more stories and pictures coming from the bunch that attended last weekend. This thread needs to live on a little longer. C'mon folks ,share some stories and some pics from your experience at the meet.

Last edited by Valk; 04-10-2008 at 03:45 PM.
Old 04-10-2008, 04:17 PM

Where did everybody go ??
We had more than 50 members attend.
I thought there would be a lot more stories and pictures coming from the bunch that attended last weekend. This thread needs to live on a little longer. C'mon folks ,share some stories and some pics from your experience at the meet.
OK Gary, I've had to fit this into my busy schedule!! HA! Take a look in my Gallery. More pictures of the nice folks during the "Tail Of the Dragon" Spring 2008

Quick Reply: 1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" meet - April 4, 5, 6