Crossfire Events and Meets This section is intended for threads to organize and plan Crossfire meets. A place for everyone here to see where meets are happening and participate in discussions

1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" meet - April 4, 5, 6

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2008, 01:19 AM
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default re: 1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" MEET!

OH!!! This going to be fun !!!

Old 02-27-2008, 03:31 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had an '07 GTI before I got the XFire. Great cars and a lot of fun to drive. I still prefer the XFire though. It looks much better and handles great. The R32 is a box, that's why it handles so good, tiny cars are suppose to handle good.

Old 02-27-2008, 06:00 AM

You guys are AWESOME!!

SF - we are really looking forward to this.

I think it is excellent that you parsed through our thread and really picked some gems...

Can't wait to meet you guys - my name over there is the same as here, so feel free to examine me.

Have a great day XFires!

PS - this one's mine (Black):
Name:  TOTD_Me_and_Edwin.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  171.4 KB
And Edwin (our wonderful organizer, kinda like SilverFox here ) came up with this logo for this year, for decals to all our participants:
Name:  Rdragon.jpg
Views: 47
Size:  1.8 KB

Thnaks for being such a cool bunch!!

<EDIT>
Oh and we are mostly staying at the Tapaco Lodge, just at the bottom of the Dragon's Tail... We totally filled the Lodge, so now folks are booking at other hotels around...

Last edited by M00NEY; 02-27-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 07:55 AM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bill- Has anyone compiled a list of cell phone numbers and names for the dragon run? Someone had done this for the Woodward Cruise and it really was nice to be able to call each other as we were cruising and direct folks to meeting locations. If I remember someone had started a thread for those attending to put their name, cell number, forum name and car info. and after the list was completed the attendees could print off a copy.

Old 02-27-2008, 08:39 AM
FP
Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

"They're almost as German as we are.
Those things are at least 99% Mercedes Benz.

The biggest difference is that they were built here in the U.S. --Chuck--"

Someone should set them straight.

Old 02-27-2008, 09:51 AM
Forum Regular

Hey gang. Is anyone besides me coming from Missouri?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:03 PM
Forum Regular
Location: Colborne Ontario, Orlando FL. (winter) Haliburton Ont. (summer)

Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
Bill- Has anyone compiled a list of cell phone numbers and names for the dragon run? Someone had done this for the Woodward Cruise and it really was nice to be able to call each other as we were cruising and direct folks to meeting locations. If I remember someone had started a thread for those attending to put their name, cell number, forum name and car info. and after the list was completed the attendees could print off a copy.
Good idea. Just not sure how many of us would want our cell #'s available to anyone on a public forum? Any thought's Bill?

Old 02-27-2008, 12:16 PM

Just a thought for you guys on this Cell Phone List biz - while a great idea for a lot of GTG's (and can be done privately with a person put in charge and either PM's or e-mails to exchange teh info) for the TOD it might not help much.

We found last year that in order to use a cell phone we had to ride all the way past the top of the Tail itself to the dock area for service. We did not run the Big Loop though, so perhaps it would come in handy out there, but at Deals Gap and on hte Tail you will not likely be able to use a phone at all.

In any case, I would suggest cell phones have a backup. I see that you guys are already planning on radios - so that woudl be a good backup - just wanted to toss it out there that you cannot count on your phone in this area...

Old 02-27-2008, 12:34 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by crossfirefrank
Originally Posted by liberty1
Good idea. Just not sure how many of us would want our cell #'s available to anyone on a public forum? Any thought's Bill?
Yup, was waiting on this one, Lots of thoughts (too many)!

Good Idea, but I'll collect them for "my eyes only" on the Registration I'll PM out Soon, unless they want to be on a list to share with other Driver's Only.
also noted with Yes on Registration. (No Cell/Phone # on This Thread Please!)

ALL ATTENDEES Please Note: that they (Cell phones) will be useless at the Dragon & Lodge, but you can Often, get a Good signal at the Dam (2 miles away).

They is a pay phone in the Lodge Lobby for $1.00 for 10 minutes (Great price for a PayPhone 10 cents / min, 10 min minimum), for anywhere in the USA.

Also the Large Comfortable Lodge Lobby has WI Fi &( a computer for Quick emails during Business Hours).

We need to have several good sets of two way Radios brought to the Meet, Please PM me if you can bring some ready to go?

We need a Set of "Walkie Talkie's" for each Group of Xfires making the Runs, one in Front & one in Back!

Bill (SF)

PS MOONEY, Thanks also for your Heads up ^^^^, while I was Writing this email! SF

Last edited by SilverFox; 02-28-2008 at 07:42 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 01:13 PM
Thumbs up re: 1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" MEET!

Originally Posted by shark067
Hey gang. Is anyone besides me coming from Missouri?
Hey Shark,

Here's one from St Louie:

23) pgmikes - St. Louis, MO - '05 Alabaster Ltd Roadster (Reserved~)

Plus one from Kansas (I think):

27) Redriot - Kansas - '04 Blaze Red Coupe

See you there!

SF

Last edited by SilverFox; 02-28-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-27-2008, 08:49 PM

Originally Posted by M00NEY
You guys are AWESOME!!

SF - we are really looking forward to this.

I think it is excellent that you parsed through our thread and really picked some gems...

Can't wait to meet you guys - my name over there is the same as here, so feel free to examine me.

Have a great day XFires!

PS - this one's mine (Black):

And Edwin (our wonderful organizer, kinda like SilverFox here ) came up with this logo for this year, for decals to all our participants:

Thnaks for being such a cool bunch!!

<EDIT>
Oh and we are mostly staying at the Tapaco Lodge, just at the bottom of the Dragon's Tail... We totally filled the Lodge, so now folks are booking at other hotels around...
Hey M00NEY,

Thanks for the Pic & your kind words!

We look forward to Chasing you Guys around the Dragon.

We should have the Much Bigger Fontana Lodge pretty much filled up also, by the time of the Meet (90 Lodge Rooms, plus Cabins, etc).

Tell Edwin, we all say Hi!

My Best,
Bill (SilverFox)

Last edited by SilverFox; 02-28-2008 at 07:43 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 03:27 AM
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Bill, we need to plan an hour or so for a beer and car talk w/Mooney and the VW guys. Any place large enough that we can all meet and BS?

Old 02-28-2008, 06:09 AM

Hello to all you guys...

I would like to intrudce myself to all you in advance like Brian (Mooney) did, since we will most likely meet one month from now anyway...
I`m the guy that set up the TOD run for the VW R32's, i'm pretty excited to hear that we`ll share the Dragon with a great bunch of people.
I think it would be a nice idea if we could meet up at some point and maybe snap a couple pictures of both our groups together, i mean whats better then a picture with almost 100 cars, a picture with 150 (200??) of course.

May i suggest the bottom of Fontana dam, time would be up to you guys i didnt plan a scedule yet so we are open to suggestions, we made some pictures there last year, the entry road to it is a perfet place to line up a lot of cars, and the round about at the dam is a perfect place for a sound of.

Also maybe some of you coming to the dragon might want to check out our travel route, maybe you find somebody in your area you could drive with.

Take care and see you all soon...

Edwin

TOD thread on our forum http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=3628798&page=1

Road to the Dam... Name:  IMG_1892.jpg
Views: 66
Size:  88.8 KB

Sound of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPmPLJCvRDw

Last edited by 2u4uR32; 02-28-2008 at 06:12 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by danimal
Bill, we need to plan an hour or so for a beer and car talk w/Mooney and the VW guys. Any place large enough that we can all meet and BS?
Great Idea danimal,

Yup, I've got a plan.
But we may need to Vote on it?

Let's invite them over Fri or Sat, early evening, after most of the Events & before Dinner. We can all fit tightly in the Parking Lot in front of the Snack bar & other close areas.

Or we could all meet at the Dam, (the ones that want to), at a Certain time. (Two miles from Us, & 11 miles from them)

Their Lodge is Small & will be overflowing just with their overbooked of cars. (9 miles from us, around the corner from the start of the Dragon).

Someone want to coordinate this for me? (Thx in Advance)

More to follow...
Bill (SF)

Note to Edwin above,

Was writing this & thinking while you wrote the above Post ^^^

Lower dam may be better than Upper, (Closer for you) or Our Villages' Many parking Areas, it's Huge compared to your Lodge area.
PM me & we can talk on the phone tonight about it OK?
(My eMail is Bill@jotbill.com)

(Our schedule is full, but we can squeeze it in for all those that want to participate, there is a lot of Flexibility!)

My Best,
Bill (SilverFox)

Last edited by SilverFox; 02-28-2008 at 07:44 AM.
Old 02-28-2008, 07:17 AM
Administrator / Senior Member
Received 624 Likes on 426 Posts

If I can make it ya got my vote for a brief meet together. Very cool.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:37 AM

I see a lot of new friends being made on this trip...

I am going to stay out of ya'lls way on here now - thanks for being so welcoming!!

Old 02-28-2008, 07:41 AM

Originally Posted by M00NEY
I see a lot of new friends being made on this trip...

I am going to stay out of ya'lls way on here now - thanks for being so welcoming!!
Thank you, MOONEY, I think you Started something Good/Great with your Snooping around!
See you at the Dragon in April & Your Flock of fellow Drivers.
SilverFox

Last edited by SilverFox; 02-28-2008 at 06:20 PM.
Old 02-28-2008, 06:19 PM

Hey Fellow Dragon Drivers,

35 Days & counting, till DragonTime!

Say hi to our newest 3 Recruits:

57) tim le - Atlanta, GA - '05 SSB SRT Roadster (Reserved~)

58) BDSXF - Irmo, SC - '05 Aero Blue Ltd Roadster (Reserved~)

59) hpmotors - Williamston, SC - '05 Black Base Coupe (Drive-in)

# 60, where are you?
SF

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM
Forum Regular
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

damn it bill did you know i used to love my vws or something? i had a golf 2.0 8v with a neuspeed charger and a 50 shot of nos on 18x8 motegis slammed with an h&r cup kit cutom header catless exhaust brembro brakes and nuespeed sway bars and upper strut bars gutted interior 1 15" rockford sub blah blah and a jetta 2.0 with charger no nos slammed on cut eibachs tucking 19x 7.5s.... i miss thoose days too bad i finally got sick of replacing mass airflow meters and $400 axles, i love vws still but from a distance now. one day ill get a mk 2 and through a 1.8y or a vr6 in it just for ***** and giggles lol

Old 02-28-2008, 08:06 PM

"New" VW R 32 talk on their Forum about us Today,
Seems like a Great Bunch of Guys.
This Dragon Weekend is Going to be Crazy Fun!

Are you guys up for a Catered Joint BBQ w/them???,
(If we can find a spot to accommodate over 125 -150 German 3.2L 's & their 200 - 250 Drivers & Pax!)
Wow, that might me tough, let's see if we can work it out somehow, OK???

Here's their Forum Url:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothrea...628798&page=17

"Any update on the crossfire site? They ready to lose the king of the hill with almost 70 cars signed up?

Happen to mention how many cars they have signed up? I think a cruise would be a good idea. Perhaps right by their hotel at 5:00 a.m. This is shaping up to be a great weekend!

NOTE - they have updated their thread with a lot of comments from ours - these folks seem like a VERY cool bunch... I agree, this just keeps getting better... First we had the Dragon, then our numbers just got better and better, then an .:RBQ, now we know that we are sharing space with a cool group...

Brian, that kicks a$$!!! Nice job! I really hope we and the X-fires get to meet up and have one gigantic meet up and meet some new friends, that would be crazy!! Ahh I'm so excited, Exhaust payment is in, orders and appointment for engine mounts and intake are in, the time is getting closer!!!

lol.. i just stop by there and say hello, maybe invite them to the BBQ
I never doubted the cross fire guys to be a nice group of people, i could imagine a much worse bunch to share the road with.

I thought about that (inviting them along to the .:RBQ - wasn't sure how that works - but if we're game, I think we should extend the invite...

They do have quite a schedule set up, so we shall see if they're interested...
Also, I noticed that SilverFox over there said something to the effect of "Let the race begin" I think a cruise with them either on the Big Loop or the Tail would make for some GREAT video footage!! I really feel like this is a whole new entity vs. last year... to qualify, I feel as if we are improving on what I thought was a perfect experience...

I also think it will be awesome if/when we hook up with some of these guys - like one of their members replied to me (actually a local to my neck and we are likely to cruise together once the weather breaks...) "It's always nice to meet fellow car nuts"

Since MOONEY was cool enough to stop over and introduce him self to the Crossfire crowd I figure I might as well do the same...
I'm Jason, car nut would be an understatement! But for all intensive purposes will stick the "car nut" I feel it's going to be a great weekend and now that we know who we'll be driving along side makes it that much better!
I also found out that Brian is in my area (Germantown MD) and thought sometime this summer we could get a little cruise together... Oh and here's a pic of my ride so if you see me don't be afraid to wave

Sweet looking car! Can't wait to see ya'll on the Dragon, just wish the days would go a little faster

ABSOLUTELY!! really happy for such a great bunch to be down there with us... I too am looking forward to seeing these rides in action!! that and being in action Jason - thanks for swinging by!! Welcome to the madness...

Sounds awesome! Any place big enough for a meet of 100 or so cars?

Anyone else notice they are 3.2L also.
We can call this the 3.2L weekend at the Dragon

I just spoke with Bill (SilverFox) from the cross fire forum, and i must say he is a really nice guy, we talked on the phone for over an hour, my wife had to drag me away I really look forward to meet those guys and check out their cars!!! "

Looks like the Weekend, just went up one more notch!
SF

Quick Reply: 1st annual Spring 2008 "Tail of the Dragon" meet - April 4, 5, 6