Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Interior dome light

Old 03-03-2006, 02:02 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Interior dome light

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the Crossfire forum. I did check the search to see if my question could be answered, but I didn't find it. I bought an '05 Coupe yesterday and spent all last night and up to just now cleaning a very dirty car. As of now, the only thing I found that is not working is the dome light gradual function. I put the switch in the position to have the lights come on when the door is open but when I get out and shut the door, the light stays lit. I know this is a minor problem, but does anyone know what would cause the problem. The car is beautiful, can't stop going out to the garage to take a look. Glad to be aboard, the web site looks great. Thanks, Bob

Old 03-03-2006, 02:15 PM
Default Re: Interior dome light

Bob, I can't help you with your dome light problem, but welcome to the forum. I am sure you will enjoy your new car. Is it brand new, or did you find a nice used one?

Old 03-03-2006, 02:17 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Make sure the other door and the trunk lid are all the way closed.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:37 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Welcome to the board! Make sure you check that switch position. There are three: Off all the time, On when doors open, and On all the time. So, check to make sure the switch is in the middle position.

Old 03-03-2006, 02:43 PM

Hey, thanks for the reply. It's a '05 Coupe Limited. I got a really good deal from a local dealer who likes law enforcement guys. I was actually looking for an '04, which is what I knew I could afford, but he got this one in, and I told him what was the most I had to spend. Like they say, if they want to make magic happen, they can. I got the '05 for the price of the '04. It's black and like the guy in the service dept. told me, it's a head turner. I waited a long time for this, I'm glad it finally happened. Bob

Old 03-03-2006, 02:48 PM

Hey Bobs, just went out and checked, only two positions. Off to the left and on to the right. According to the owners manual, switching to the on position should make the light gradually go out when you shut the door. Mine stays on, must have something to do with a timing unit. Bob

Old 03-03-2006, 03:02 PM
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

When you go to the on position with the doors closed what happens. Does the light come on.

It is a two position switch slide left light off slide right light on with the door open.
The switch above that switch is a push on and push off for the dome light.

How long does it stay on. do you have to turn it off with the switch.

Last edited by aschrager; 03-03-2006 at 03:11 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:24 PM

yeah, What (aschrager) said... Make sure you don't have that button pushed or it will never go off.

Almost Forgot, Welcome aboard.

Last edited by RowdyRoadster; 03-03-2006 at 03:38 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 03:42 PM
Forum Regular
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aptiva
Hey Bobs, just went out and checked, only two positions. Off to the left and on to the right. According to the owners manual, switching to the on position should make the light gradually go out when you shut the door. Mine stays on, must have something to do with a timing unit. Bob
Oops! Sorry about that I was having an ****-cranial inversion. The switch is just a two position one with a pushbutton to turn the light on all the time. I was thinking of my other car. Sorry for the confusion!

Old 03-03-2006, 05:18 PM
PJA

I had the same problem about six months ago. It turned out to be a sensor in the passenger door which "thought" the door was open. Dealer fixed it, but it took six days to get the part. BTW, the light will go out after fifteen minutes anyhow.

Pete

Last edited by PJA; 03-03-2006 at 05:21 PM.
Old 03-03-2006, 11:43 PM
Forum Regular

Hi everyone, this is my first post in the Crossfire forum. I did check the search to see if my question could be answered, but I didn't find it. I bought an '05 Coupe yesterday and spent all last night and up to just now cleaning a very dirty car. As of now, the only thing I found that is not working is the dome light gradual function. I put the switch in the position to have the lights come on when the door is open but when I get out and shut the door, the light stays lit. I know this is a minor problem, but does anyone know what would cause the problem. The car is beautiful, can't stop going out to the garage to take a look. Glad to be aboard, the web site looks great. Thanks, Bob
Hey Bob good luck with your XF... speaking of Law enforcement, ive had the xf since 0ct '05.. and i have had 5 police cars literally pull me over with lights and siren blaring (on 2 occasions) only to find them all approaching the XF with a smile as they stopped me only to ask questions about the XF!!! Usually its like..." is that rear or front wheel drive?"

TO SAY THAT THE XF IS A HEAD TURNER IS AN UNDERSTATEMENT... YOU WILL SEE!!! ENJOY!

JOSH

Old 03-08-2006, 06:07 PM

Had this exact problem. Mine actually caused the battery to die a couple of times before I realized that the light was the problem.

Either way, it took 4 visits to the dealership for them to resolve it. But before they did, they replaced the PCM module 4 times, the entire dome light twice and goodness knows what else at great expense to DM.

Of course, after 3 months of this they finally figured out it was the switch in the trunk!

Long letter to DM entailed as I complained about an obvious lack of training on the dealerships part. Coupled with the myriad of other problems (mostly quality related things, rattles, wind noise etc..) that led to a lengthy complaint letter to DM.

So, my point being, is you might want to check the simple things, the doors and the trunk to make sure that's not the problem first.

Good luck!

Old 03-08-2006, 06:52 PM
Forum Regular
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by highlander_10
Long letter to DM entailed as I complained about an obvious lack of training on the dealerships part. Coupled with the myriad of other problems (mostly quality related things, rattles, wind noise etc..) that led to a lengthy complaint letter to DM.
...which begs the question...

What did it get you?

Old 03-08-2006, 06:55 PM

Still working on it. Complaints went in last week. Some of the problems (creaks/squeaks in the rear) have been worked on 5 or 6 times. Perhaps I've been a tad too patient.

Old 03-08-2006, 09:35 PM

Thanks for the reply. I brought the car in on Tuesday because the right rear headliner trim was hanging loose. I did something when I purchased this car that I have never done before. I was so thrilled to get it, it is an '05 limited, that I completely let my guard down and did not do the type of inspection that I have done with any car I have ever bought. I told them I wanted to detail the car myself which I always do, whether it's a new car or used. I guess if I would have let them detail it, they should have come across the hanging trim and fixed it then. When I got home I started to detail the car and noticed some overspray on the roof. I got an immediate oh in my head. I started to make a very close inspection when I saw that even though at that point I had already taken ownership of the vehicle I just hoped I wouldn't find anything drastically wrong with it. I had wondered why someone would turn a car back in with only 6,500 miles on it. Well I searched very carefully and could find nothing wrong except that it figured it must have happened in the area of the right rear quarter panel, since that was where the trim was hanging and the overspray was. I continued to check the whole car over, even took it for another ride to make sure it tracked straight etc. The only two things that were wrong were the trim and the self dimming cabin light. I brought the car in on Wednesday to have the trim fixed. They took the car and had it back in 5 minutes. OK now I feel better. Checked on the light and was told to call and they would let me know when there electrical man was due in. You mean they don't have a in house mechanic to fix this car?? Well I'm almost home and I hear a bang from the rear. Well there it is, the trim hanging down again. Got home and saw that the new nylon retainers they put in were all squashed and just let go. I decided to fix it myself and went and bought some retainers. They would not hold the panel up. I don't know if it has to do with some damage that was incurred in that area, which as I said I cannot see or me along with the guys at Chrysler just don't know how to do it correctly. I love the car, the way it looks and feels are great. I just hope I don't find any other surprises down the road. Sorry for the long post, just had to vent a little. Thanks, Bob

Old 03-09-2006, 06:18 AM
Forum Regular

Aptiva... Welcome To The Club!!! You Can Do A Search (top) On This Forum And Find Threads Concerning The Lack Of Qualified Crossfire Mechanics... (my Problem Here With 2-3 Dealerships I Use)... And You Will Find That Your Not Alone!!!

Enjoy The Crossfire... Despite The Little Problems That Go Along With This New Car... Good Luck.

Oh Yeah... Keep On Top Of Your Dealer's Service Manager!!!

Old 03-14-2006, 11:14 AM
Forum Regular

... the lights come on when the door is open but when I get out and shut the door, the light stays lit ...
Sorry, might sound silly but be sure to lock the door with the remote (when outside) or turn the key to ignition (when inside). The light always stays lit until one of these actions.

Greets and welcome ...

Old 03-15-2006, 10:00 PM
Forum Regular
Thumbs up Re: Interior dome light

Welcome aboard Bob and FWIW, mine comes on and then gradually dims all the way down and out. I'm sure you'll set it in the right position. BTW, when you cleaned up your ride, what kinda wax products did you use? The reason I ask is because your new and I'm one of our resident auto detailers here (side work) and am always willing to help people out, especially those with black cars.