Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Torn steering wheel

Old 09-19-2019, 09:54 PM
Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts
Default Torn steering wheel

Hi everyone!

I live in Florida and I guess the heat did a number on my steering wheel. It ripped open around the 12 o'clock position. Doesn't look very nice. Should I simply look for a used steering wheel? Or is there a way to get it fixed at an upholstery place? If that is even an option.
Does anyone know how much this will cost me? Is it difficult to replace the steering wheel with the airbag?
Thanks to anyone who has experience with this.

Nick

Old 09-19-2019, 10:24 PM
Received 42 Likes on 37 Posts
Default Re: Torn steering wheel

An after market steering wheel cover is always an option.

Old 09-20-2019, 10:47 AM
Received 54 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Hi everyone!

I live in Florida and I guess the heat did a number on my steering wheel. It ripped open around the 12 o'clock position. Doesn't look very nice. Should I simply look for a used steering wheel? Or is there a way to get it fixed at an upholstery place? If that is even an option.
Does anyone know how much this will cost me? Is it difficult to replace the steering wheel with the airbag?

Nick
Replacing a steering wheel is not that difficult. You can find both new and used ones on ebay or wrecking yards. You do need some special tools. I would not recommend changing it if you have not done any car work. The best bet would be to find an independent shop that works on Mercedes vehicles. What is most important is that anyone making the swap unplug the battery first. As was mentioned, an aftermarket cover is a quick and easy option. I recently purchased a very low mileage coupe and decided to put a cover on the steering wheel to protect it. The price was not as important as how it matched the interior, and how it felt. This one did both well and it was very affordable. I'm very happy with it. I recall at least one forum member that used an outfit in TX that redid the Crossfire steering wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y7BMHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071Y7BMHX/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a custom redo I have:

Last edited by Toolman; 09-20-2019 at 10:51 AM.
Old 09-20-2019, 12:42 PM
Received 129 Likes on 108 Posts

Originally Posted by nickwe21
Hi everyone!

Nick
nickwe21
Click on the link below, this parts site has new wheels available. On page 3 alone, they have 2 wheels, one vanilla white and one in cedar. You'll have to scroll through the pages to get the color you need, since you didn't mention it in your thread. LKQ.com has Crossfire parts in their inventory (nationwide salvage yards).
Good Luck...
Dennis
DTMenace

https://www.ebay.com/str/foreriverparts?_pgn=3

Old 09-20-2019, 03:05 PM
Received 500 Likes on 426 Posts

It depends on a few things, do you want OEM, If you are located at a place where they recover wheels do you want to leave it (your car) with them? Removing the wheel is complicated if you have never done it. There are some here (and I think a tutorial) that steps you through the removal/install process. Search the forum for steering wheel replacement or similar keywords. Remember FIRST remove the negative battery cable and wait at least 15 minutes (tie it off somewhere to make sure it doesn't touch the neg post) before doing any work on the airbag system. IF YOU CONNECT THE BATTERY FOR ANY REASON WHILE THE AIRBAG IS DISCONNECTED, YOU'LL HAVE AN AIRBAG LAMP LIGHT requiring a reset with special tools. Good luck!

Old 09-21-2019, 01:49 AM
Received 116 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by Toolman
Replacing a steering wheel is not that difficult. You can find both new and used ones on ebay or wrecking yards. You do need some special tools. I would not recommend changing it if you have not done any car work. The best bet would be to find an independent shop that works on Mercedes vehicles. What is most important is that anyone making the swap unplug the battery first. As was mentioned, an aftermarket cover is a quick and easy option. I recently purchased a very low mileage coupe and decided to put a cover on the steering wheel to protect it. The price was not as important as how it matched the interior, and how it felt. This one did both well and it was very affordable. I'm very happy with it. I recall at least one forum member that used an outfit in TX that redid the Crossfire steering wheels.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Here is a custom redo I have:

First of all thanks for everyone's information. I appreciate it very much. Let me ask you this, is that a steering wheel cover in the picture above? I really like that! What would be the exact link for that option? I think the link posted is for a different one.

If this is actually a steering wheel "refurbish", how much did that cost and how long did the shop have to keep your steering wheel to get it fixed up like that?
Thanks again for the

Old 09-21-2019, 06:55 AM

Yes the link is to a standard type steering wheel cover. I will add a picture of the cover on my 06 later.

The picture above is of a custom refurbished steering wheel I purchased through ebay from a seller out of Latvia last year. I did not have to send him my steering wheel. As I recall, I paid $700 for it. I plan to install it on my SE after I get around to having the air bag recall completed on it. You can purchase one from Needs Wings that is a site sponsor and very reputable seller. Here is a link to the steering wheel:

NeedsWings Performance Products. NeedsWings Spec Crossfire Steering Wheel

Last edited by Toolman; 09-21-2019 at 06:57 AM.
Old 09-21-2019, 08:13 AM
Received 30 Likes on 27 Posts

The steering wheel is NOT difficult to replace. I have two grey Crossfire steering wheels (from SRT6s) available. They have some wear but overall in pretty nice condition. A nice steering wheel cover would make them perfect. Either one for $120.00 + actual shipping cost to you. Email me if you're interested and I can send you photos for your review. RedDogNumber1@aol.com

Old 09-21-2019, 09:38 AM

Here is a picture of the Amazon steering wheel cover on my 06. I'm not a big fan of steering wheel covers but this one looks good and is comfortable.