Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Automatic or manual?

Old 03-03-2005 | 10:01 AM
|
Forum Regular
Default Automatic or manual?

I am looking to buy a Crossfire at the moment and was after some advice.
Do I buy the automatic or manual?
I normally would buy a manual but I have heard the manual boxes are rubbish.
Tha thing is I have been offered a 6 months old manual with 3000 miles on it for the same price as a year old auto with 10,000 miles on it.
So what do I do?
The dealer hasn't got a manual for me to test drive.
Any help is appreciated.

Thanks.

Norrie.

Old 03-03-2005 | 10:10 AM
Default Re: Automatic or manual?

I would drive the used car they are offering to see if it's up to your standards. Make sure it feels good to you and give it a good test drive to make sure they aren't trying to unload something on you. I still think the manual/automatic thing is personal prefference. You'll find people that wouldn't drive the automatic, and visa versa. I drive the auto-stick and I love it. But I have never liked manuals.

Old 03-03-2005 | 10:14 AM
|
Forum Regular

The thing is I think he is getting the car from another dealer so I would have to pay a deposit for the car.
I dont want to but a manual and then regret it.
I know with the Merc they always say stay away from the manual at all costs and as the Crossfire has the same engine/box is that the case with the Crossfire as well?

Norrie.

Old 03-03-2005 | 10:20 AM

If you go to this thread(which I think you might have already) https://www.crossfireforum.org/forum...ead.php?t=7285
Looks like more people have automatics, but plenty have manuals.

Old 03-03-2005 | 10:35 AM
Banned
Talking Re: Automatic or manual?

Originally Posted by norrie
The thing is I think he is getting the car from another dealer so I would have to pay a deposit for the car.
I dont want to but a manual and then regret it.
I know with the Merc they always say stay away from the manual at all costs and as the Crossfire has the same engine/box is that the case with the Crossfire as well?

Norrie.
Since most manual buyers REALLY want one and you sound like a maybe want one don't !

You'll not be happy with a DC manual.The Autostick is MUCH better for a maybe person.

Old 03-03-2005 | 12:49 PM
Cool Re: Automatic or manual?

Originally Posted by Dan Root
Since most manual buyers REALLY want one and you sound like a maybe want one don't !

You'll not be happy with a DC manual.The Autostick is MUCH better for a maybe person.

Disagree completely with this conclusion. If your a maybe person then deep down inside you really want one or you would not even consider it.
Most problems that have been encountered, I believe, have been due to linkage adjustment problems. The clutch and shift is smooth and I have over 10,000 km on mine last year. I am very happy with it.

Go for it!

BTW, you never buy a car without driving one first; test drive the 6 month old manual and then make up your mine. Like I said, most problems encountered may be due to shift linkage adjustment problems which I think can be sorted out.

Last edited by mbepic; 03-03-2005 at 12:53 PM.
Old 03-03-2005 | 01:02 PM
|
Forum Regular

As I already said they do not have the car at the dealership and I think they are getting it from another dealer so I cant get a test drive without putting down a deposit.
Another dealer has a manual about 50 miles away so I might go and test drive that one.

Norrie.

Old 03-03-2005 | 01:25 PM
Forum Regular

Auto. Mercedes do not make good manuals. There are already problems with the manual popping out of first gear. Yes there is a TSB/Fix for this, but someone reported theirs was fixed and started doing this again. Sounds dangerous to me. Get the Auto, Mercedes cars always sell better with Auto gearboxes.

I test drove both quite a few times, I did enjoy the manual to be honest but the auto was better all around.

Last edited by saldous; 03-03-2005 at 01:28 PM.