Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Wheel refurb and AMG C32 brake upgrade

Old 12-31-2015, 03:31 PM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wheel refurb and AMG C32 brake upgrade

So I must have chopped and changed my mine 10 times in the past 3 weeks as to what I'm going to do either change the wheels or refurb my after market 19" wheels that were on the car when I bought it,

I like the ones fitted there different and there one of the reasons why I chose the crossfire but someone had fart caned the polished lips over badly with silver and it was a terrible job.

So this morning I pulled the trigger on all the parts to carry out a BBK conversion using C32 AMG 4 pot Brembo calipers and 345mm drilled discs and I've decided because I know I can fit the calipers behind the wheels fitted to my car already so I grabbed all the paint and materials to freshen my existing wheels up

A side note to anyone looking to carry out the C32 brake conversion I did a lot of looking about for the parts and the cheapest I found used calipers that came with 50% used old discs and old pads for £420 delivered but in all honesty I would never fit old discs and pads so thats another £150 so that would make the fitted conversion £570.

I've chosen to go a different route and buy new reconditioned genuine calipers so there raw finish unpainted but all shiny and new as well as new Brembo drilled 345mm discs and Brembo pads and a new caliper fitting kit and all this can be had for £455 (this is my trade price inc vat)

Now Im going very left field with my caliper colour and I'm sure some will be like "WHAT THE HELL" but I'm all about standing out and at a glance everyone knowing it's running a BBK so I've bought Neon Green caliper paint which I'll use on the new front and stock rears and I've got my local graphics supplier knocking me up the stock AMG logos for the calipers.

Here's the colour I've gone with:

3_zps9yztx7er.jpg

8181259051_ce3aa202a9_z_zpsbmmwmnfx.jpg

They'll certainly stand out....

As for the wheel refurb I decided to add to the "look at me" brakes by choosing a dark colour for the wheel centres to help the calipers pop but not black so I've gone with a metallic grey and then just refresh the silver lips.

I do normally do my wheel refurbs at work in the spray booth but when I popped into work there was a big old yank tank in the oven halfway through a metal flake spray job so I decided to use my gym and just cover everything up in plastic and use my smaller touch up spray gun and small compressor and it worked a treat I even knocked up an extraction fan of sorts to aid with over spray and the one wheel I've done so far has come out mint.

All thats left to do is pick the Brabus B out in silver then I can pop it back on and start the next one:

Just started to sand back the lips:

DSC_0430_zpsu6bqguob.jpg

All sprayed silver and grey then lacquered:

DSC_0431_zpstau8ybbg.jpg

DSC_0435_zpsb6noy8al.jpg

DSC_0438_zpspoec0rqo.jpg

More pics to come when refitted back on the car.

Old 12-31-2015, 03:36 PM
JSK
Received 117 Likes on 96 Posts
Default Re: Wheel refurb and AMG C32 brake upgrade

Really nice job on the wheels!!!

Old 12-31-2015, 06:03 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Looking good

Old 01-01-2016, 07:19 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That does look very nice, I'll hold my vote on the caliper color until a completed picture on the car is shown.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:32 AM
Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

cannot wait to see the brakes on your car ,love the colour of them and the wheels.
You are certainly making some changes to your car.

Old 01-01-2016, 11:56 AM

Thanks,

Im picking up all the brake parts at 8am in the morning and I already have a caliper and disc off my car ready to test fit and if all is good I'll get them painted tomorrow along both the front wheels as I managed to get the other rear done and refitted today.

Here's the one I sprayed yesterday refitted back to the car first thing this morning:

DSC_0441_zpso0zeznia.jpg

DSC_0440_zpswuvmy2ic.jpg

Old 01-02-2016, 05:11 AM

Looks great so far
Also looking to see the brakes fitted

Old 01-02-2016, 07:14 AM

Hi, would it be possible to get a pic showing the difference in size and looks of the new caliper and discs compared to the original ones?
cheers, Ian.

Old 01-02-2016, 11:02 AM

Hi there,

here's a few pics I took this morning just after picking it all up and quickly test fitting to make sure I wasn't going to have any problems before I painted the calipers:

New Brembo C32 AMG calipers:

DSC_0448_zps886fyfzn.jpg

New C32 AMG genuine Brembo disc next to my standard disc:

DSC_0447_zpsiwnwdqwc.jpg

Fitted:

DSC_0444_zps3a9ajddf.jpg

Wheel on and showing clearance:

DSC_0445_zpslkpzc0y8.jpg

Once I knew I wasn't going to have any fitting issues I primed the calipers then sprayed the base coat white:

DSC_0449_zpsietkwbof.jpg

then came the green and I then picked out the bolts in black and I'm just about to lacquer them to give them I high gloss finish:

DSC_0450_zpsxykgefex.jpg

Old 01-02-2016, 11:42 AM

Looks great Darren
Looking forward to seeing it when I come down

Old 01-02-2016, 01:13 PM

Thanks,

All lacquered so I'll let them harden over night and slap them all on tomorrow along with the front wheels that are all finished too:

DSC_0459_zpswgzu3hhp.jpg

DSC_0460_zpsvevcuch8.jpg

DSC_0461_zpseg0eajzt.jpg

Picking up the AMG logos on Monday but cant wait till then to fit them as I want to get the rear wheels back off to remove the rear calipers to get them painted

Old 01-04-2016, 08:14 AM

Well after getting the fronts back together I then whipped the rear calipers off cleaned and preped them ready to spray:

DSC_0465_zpsw5ey7irb.jpg

Here they are all back together painted with the new AMG graphics and with the fresh newly painted wheels:

DSC_0498_zpsarkfhqp9.jpg

DSC_0499_zps2i4wtbrz.jpg

DSC_0500_zpssdafsfzz.jpg

DSC_0501_zpsuq9xthe0.jpg

DSC_0494_zpsl70wdsce.jpg

DSC_0492_zpskczzrga0.jpg

DSC_0485_zpsyzkrboib.jpg

Old 01-04-2016, 09:06 AM
Former Vendor

Very nice job so far!

Old 01-04-2016, 10:00 AM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Looks good, but the photos make the new rotor look ginormous beside the old one when in fact it is less than 5/8" larger in diameter, the new is 345mm and the old is 330mm in diameter.
Those wheels will show of the calipers for sure.

Old 01-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Looks good, but the photos make the new rotor look ginormous beside the old one when in fact it is less than 5/8" larger in diameter, the new is 345mm and the old is 330mm in diameter.
I agree, to both. Looks good, I would not have chosen nuclear green, but it does look good. And that comparison photo looks hugely different, I assume partly because of the fact new one is closer to camera with an optical illusion going on. I thought it was an old back rotor compared to a new front one.
If it was me, I would put a Chrysler crest on the wheel, and a Mopar logo on the caliper. The fact the Crossfire is officially a Chrysler is what I like, not that it is effectively a Mercedes.
But I do like the 2 tone on the wheels, and you did a nice job of everything.
I have a white (Alabaster) Crossfire, and was thinking of white or light blue calipers.

Old 01-04-2016, 12:03 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Originally Posted by pioneer4x4
I agree, to both. Looks good, I would not have chosen nuclear green, but it does look good. And that comparison photo looks hugely different, I assume partly because of the fact new one is closer to camera with an optical illusion going on. I thought it was an old back rotor compared to a new front one.
If it was me, I would put a Chrysler crest on the wheel, and a Mopar logo on the caliper. The fact the Crossfire is officially a Chrysler is what I like, not that it is effectively a Mercedes.
But I do like the 2 tone on the wheels, and you did a nice job of everything.
I have a white (Alabaster) Crossfire, and was thinking of white or light blue calipers.

Thanks guys,

The stock front rotors on the NA are only 300mm so it is a big hike in size up to 345mm I think it's the SRT6 that has 330mm rotors.

That's why the comparison pics show such a big difference as it's 1 3/4" bigger

Old 01-04-2016, 12:16 PM

Originally Posted by dpbayly
Thanks guys,

The stock front rotors on the NA are only 300mm so it is a big hike in size up to 345mm I think it's the SRT6 that has 330mm rotors.

That's why the comparison pics show such a big difference as it's 1 3/4" bigger
I made a mistake there, oops, sorry.
I should have looked at the car closer, red too.

Old 01-05-2016, 05:37 AM

Hi, really looks great,i am really surprised how good the green looks with the red car. Did you get the discs and remanufactured calipers from Mercedes or from a motor factor like europarts?

Old 01-05-2016, 05:48 AM

Originally Posted by ardenian
Hi, really looks great,i am really surprised how good the green looks with the red car. Did you get the discs and remanufactured calipers from Mercedes or from a motor factor like europarts?
Thanks,

That's exactly where I bought them from Euro Car Parts although I paid trade prices as I'm in the trade the over the counter price isn't very much more than I paid at all as the mark up is very small.

All you need is a registration number from a C32 AMG, I just went onto Autotrader and found a 2001 C32 AMG and used that registration number to order the parts

Old 01-05-2016, 09:15 AM

Originally Posted by dpbayly
Thanks,

That's exactly where I bought them from Euro Car Parts although I paid trade prices as I'm in the trade the over the counter price isn't very much more than I paid at all as the mark up is very small.

All you need is a registration number from a C32 AMG, I just went onto Autotrader and found a 2001 C32 AMG and used that registration number to order the parts
Do you mean the VIN number or is it some other number?

Quick Reply: Wheel refurb and AMG C32 brake upgrade