Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Cool Aftermarket Exterior/Interior stuff?

Old 09-03-2012, 07:37 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
Default Re: Cool Aftermarket Exterior/Interior stuff?

Originally Posted by Clifford
Two inches isn't enough to cause a dramatic change in this vehicle, the reason being that the vehicle itself isn't particularly heavy in the rear-end.

I like how my car looks with the adapters, and that's really what matters isn't it?
Think I agreed with you in an earlier post... yeah I think I did..

I'd say make sure you don't throw it in a corner as hard as +fireamx
did in that corner and you'll be fine..

Last edited by Mrmiata; 09-03-2012 at 07:39 PM.
Old 09-03-2012, 07:40 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by +fireamx

Mr. Miata, here it is.
Message - CrossfireForum.org Gallery

A lot of people thought I lowered my car, but that was just a sweeping curve at the Dragon. One of my favorite photos of my car by the way.

Clifford, I don't think anybody is really criticizing you for doing it (well not most everyone anyway) It's just that I believe you are probably one of the first to space your wheel out that much, and it's getting a lot of attention, and comments. Everybody is entitled to their own opinion, and on a forum you're going to get them, like it or not, so don't take it personal.
At the going rate of around $300 per tire, many of us just can't afford to do anything to cause premature wear, and I think many of us are just thinking about that aspect of it.
As somebody pointed out, one of the Crossfires weak points is understeer, and you may have created a little more in your car. You changed the factory's suspension geometry so there will probably be +'s and -'s in your cars handling.
Since the wheel will actually tip in at the top as it gets pushed up inside the wheel well of your 1/4 panel, there is the possibility it will clear the lip of the panel. But just going by the photo that you posted, it looks dangerously close. Nobody wants it too cause you any body damage, that's all.
In the end, it's your car, and you're making it you're own by doing what ever you want to with it, and that's what it's all about.
I'm not sure if this has been mentioned or not, but I believe in some states, the tire can not exceed the opening of the fender, so you may want to check your states regulations on that. But like me, our state says we NEED a front plate, and I just can't bring myself to do it. But I know eventually it will catch up to me.
Just enjoy your car, be safe, and enjoy this forum for the invaluable source of information, and friendship it offers.
Thanks, I guess I just got a little miffed haha!
I'm wanting my next project to be a conversion to straight pipes on the exhaust (not deleting the rear cats), but I was wondering if I might want a brace or something for the new pipe that gets put it in? I thought I read something about the SRT having a brace, but wasn't sure if that would fit a standard model, or even be required. Anything on that?

Old 09-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
+1 I kinda look at it like lifting 10 lbs with a 1 ft pole.. then try it with a 10 foot pole.. same basic principle .. further out from the pivot point the more force exerted ..
Not really, the spring supports the weight and the longer leverage point at the wheel would make it easier to compress the spring if the car was fixed in the air and the lever was used to compress the spring. The spring is what supports the weight and compresses due to the car weight. The lever has no affect on the cars weight.

Old 09-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by onehundred80
Not really, the spring supports the weight and the longer leverage point at the wheel would make it easier to compress the spring if the car was fixed in the air and the lever was used to compress the spring. The spring is what supports the weight and compresses due to the car weight. The lever has no affect on the cars weight.
Could you break that down into directional forces in the bushings and sleeves so we can be sure?

Old 09-03-2012, 11:36 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
Could you break that down into directional forces in the bushings and sleeves so we can be sure?
I'll get those numbers when I can find the charger for my slide rule.

Old 09-04-2012, 12:03 AM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Not my cup of tea, but each to their own. I'd be worried about tire rub on a hard corner.