Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

chrome crossfire

Old 10-30-2011, 06:59 AM
Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts
Default Re: chrome crossfire

Please, take no offence, but, it's an adult sized Hot Wheels!
Now let me explain before I get toasted .
Hot Wheels came out when I was about 10ish and one of the "collectables" they came out with was a Boss 302 Chrome Mustang. At the time I thought how cool it would be to have a real one just like it, and here you've gone and done it with your Crossfire!!!
Totally Cool
But as others have said, not so sure now at this age, lol

Old 10-30-2011, 09:21 AM
Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

How much does it cost to have a Crossfire wrapped?

Old 10-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

I think it looks outstanding! And excellent choice on the wheels!

I think this would be one of the times where a 19"/20" wheel stagger with a 3"+ chrome lip in the rear would look epic.

The car is already over the top, so the plus-one wheels would simply push it right on over.

But, even in the current state, it's an incredible look and I commend you for following through with it!

Old 11-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

thanks guys!!!
was away for a bit, couldn't reply.
those wheels are AMG replicas. was going to go for AMG double spoke but then saw these wheels.
As far as legality of the chrome wrap, there is no law prohibiting it but i'm sure there will be that one cop that will find something wrong with it =)
so far I only had cops pull up to find out what kind of car that is and where i got it "painted" like that =)))

here are a couple of videos, one from the show that we did and the other someone shot when i parked it somewhere =)

cheers

Old 11-22-2011, 11:58 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Okay, I love the Crossfire .. but today on the Eastbound 401 near 400/Yorkdale at about 1030hrs, I look in the rear view of the Avalanche and spot this awesome looking exotic approaching from behind. As it came alongside I could not believe my eyes when I saw it was the Crossfire from the forum pics. Let me tell you first hand that it is awesome. Awesome! The colour, the tint windows, the wide stance and sitting low on its haunches only look that much BETTER as it scooted away up ahead.

I couldn't believe it could look SO good. Awesome job!

I'd love to know more about it. There is no question that this car would garner more attention than anything you'd find parked around Yorkville on a sunny Sunday morning. For now I'll just keep my eyes peeled for the best looking exotic in my neighbourhood!

Last edited by PitMarshall; 11-22-2011 at 12:26 PM.
Old 11-22-2011, 12:33 PM
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by restyleit
those wheels are AMG replicas. was going to go for AMG double spoke but then saw these wheels.
I ALMOST bought those wheels, until I saw the painted double 5 spokes, pretty much the opposite of what you did LOL

Love the car, don't be a stranger, and in case you wondered what the double 5s looked like on a dropped XF, here you go...

Old 11-30-2011, 05:57 AM

Fantastic!! How "sturdy" is the wrap, things like stone chips, how do you wash it etc, and what sort of cost ? Huge WOW factor! Would love to be the first in Australia to do it!

Old 11-30-2011, 06:32 AM
Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts

You could actually go chrome paint with a clear coat. I did a search the other night on chrome paint and found a site showing some cars that had been done up that looked impressive for a paint.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:05 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
You could actually go chrome paint with a clear coat. I did a search the other night on chrome paint and found a site showing some cars that had been done up that looked impressive for a paint.
You can also shoot a couple of coats of clear over the wrap.

Old 11-30-2011, 08:11 PM

Originally Posted by Joliet John
You can also shoot a couple of coats of clear over the wrap.
Just as a cost comparisson (think someone had asked, but didn't see a reply) the chrome paint was right at 500 for a half gallon.. hows that compare to your cost?

Old 11-30-2011, 08:31 PM
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Dont forget the labor to take parts off, paint and re-install the parts..... +$500 for the paint......

Old 11-30-2011, 08:32 PM
Forum Regular

I loved the music in the video...a little wavy sound over the theme of "Once Upon a Time in the West". Great with the Asian forground. hahahahahaha Very good Looking.

Kj

Old 11-30-2011, 08:48 PM

Originally Posted by MikeR
Dont forget the labor to take parts off, paint and re-install the parts..... +$500 for the paint......
I'm not in the car painting business.. but I would think 1/2 gallon you could brush on a good triple coat.. lol. Smaller qauntities were available..seems it priced out around half volume = 1/2 price + 10%.. guess those paint cans are expensive..lol

Old 11-30-2011, 09:39 PM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

That picture in the parking lot reminds me of the WWII B17 and B25 bombers in electro polished aluminum skin once the need for camo was dropped. Beautiful!

I have been toying with idea of matte dark gray or graphite carbon fiber wrap.

matte mercedes.jpg

Old 12-01-2011, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Mrmiata
I'm not in the car painting business.. but I would think 1/2 gallon you could brush on a good triple coat.. lol. Smaller qauntities were available..seems it priced out around half volume = 1/2 price + 10%.. guess those paint cans are expensive..lol
LOL, he said 'brush on'. I have not seen a decent custom paint job cost less than $5,000, and usually much more than that. Consider you must remove EVERYTHING from the car, scuff the entire surface for adhesion, paint, and reassemble. With expensive paint and a skilled sprayer you are more in the 7-10K range. Last time I got a quote for a wrap on the XF in 3M, it was $3,000-$3,500 and with it being removable, its a win win.

Pretty durable stuff, as I am fairly certain it is extremely similar to the material they use for their clear paint protection systems that guard against rock chips, etc....

Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 AM

Originally Posted by MrMoPar
That picture in the parking lot reminds me of the WWII B17 and B25 bombers in electro polished aluminum skin once the need for camo was dropped. Beautiful!

I have been toying with idea of matte dark gray or graphite carbon fiber wrap.

Attachment 24010
Matte grey body wrap with the high-gloss black carbon fiber 1080 vinyl (3M Scotchprint) on all of the silver trim would be a KILLER look.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:27 AM

Originally Posted by BoilerUpXFire
LOL, he said 'brush on'. I have not seen a decent custom paint job cost less than $5,000, and usually much more than that. Consider you must remove EVERYTHING from the car, scuff the entire surface for adhesion, paint, and reassemble. With expensive paint and a skilled sprayer you are more in the 7-10K range. Last time I got a quote for a wrap on the XF in 3M, it was $3,000-$3,500 and with it being removable, its a win win.

Pretty durable stuff, as I am fairly certain it is extremely similar to the material they use for their clear paint protection systems that guard against rock chips, etc....
The other benefit is that you can re-wrap the fascia periodically for much less than having to do the whole car... each body panel is separately done.

Old 12-01-2011, 10:35 AM
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by JHM2K
The other benefit is that you can re-wrap the fascia periodically for much less than having to do the whole car... each body panel is separately done.
Local Motors has taken a similar approach on their Rally Coupe. They claim wrapping is more environmentally friendly and saves up to 12 pounds a car, though I doubt it's that much

Old 12-01-2011, 10:46 AM

Originally Posted by Jesus_Christler
Local Motors has taken a similar approach on their Rally Coupe. They claim wrapping is more environmentally friendly and saves up to 12 pounds a car, though I doubt it's that much
Yeah, I would challenge that figure as well. Although, the metal flake in paint could add up over many square feet.

Regardless, the car's body panels and core structure must be E-coated (electro-deposition) for rust-proofing. Once the E-coat has been cured, a wrap could be applied at that time.

Old 12-01-2011, 11:16 AM
www.TheCrossfireShop.com

Originally Posted by JHM2K
Matte grey body wrap with the high-gloss black carbon fiber 1080 vinyl (3M Scotchprint) on all of the silver trim would be a KILLER look.
They make a matte clear. That over the graphite factory paint with carbon fiber on the hood and roof and matte black trim might just be the ticket.

Quick Reply: chrome crossfire