Crossfire Coupe A place to discuss Coupe specific topics.

Major Problem

Old 09-05-2011, 10:31 AM
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Major Problem

These cars require almost a 100% charge in the battery to crank when cold. Had this issue with another members car and he took the brand new battery out, had it tested at pep boys, charged to 100% capacity there at the store, then put it back in the car. It fired right up and he has had no issues since. Sometimes a "new" battery has discharged slightly and wont produce the required CCA these cars need.

Good luck...let us know what the outcome is.

Old 09-05-2011, 10:39 AM
Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by JimmySkullz
Then dont try it...Its doesnt do anything it wont hurt.. Maybe I got the description wrong but belive it or not sometimes it works.
Jimmy, you are right in your thinking, but the starter has to be engaged in order to turn the armiture. Shorting across will do this, but the starter is clicking, telling us that not enough cranking amps are present to spin the starter. Bad ground, bad connections, uncharged battery, and the list goes on. Usually start with the obvious, battery, then battery terminals, then, ground connections, then, connections to the starter, etc....etc....

Old 09-06-2011, 03:13 PM
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Just had the same problem last week. Called NAPA to check purchase date of the battery. Was told Jan. 2010, but bring it in and they would check it. While disconnecting the negative terminal I noticed how dirty it was. I cleaned the post and the inside of the terminal, reconnected it and everything is fine. Starts right up.

Well almost everything is fine. All of the sensors reset except for the Tire Pressure sensor. All of the tires are inflated properly but the light will not go out. It might be one of the TPS sensors.

Old 09-24-2011, 05:08 PM

Sorry it took so long to get back. Kind of limited to computer usage when your in the military.
We figured out the problem.. It was super simple and im a little ashamed to admit it.
It was the battery. The one that was on it was slowly going down hill and couldnt start the Crossie anymore.
So now were good!
Thanks fellas I never would have checked the battery if it was for yall.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:28 PM
Forum Regular
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by ShaunXFire
Sorry it took so long to get back. Kind of limited to computer usage when your in the military.
We figured out the problem.. It was super simple and im a little ashamed to admit it.
It was the battery. The one that was on it was slowly going down hill and couldnt start the Crossie anymore.
So now were good!
I love happy endings.

Old 09-24-2011, 06:37 PM
Received 610 Likes on 510 Posts

So now were good!
You mentioned that your dad had put a new battery on it (post #1), was that bad as well?

Old 09-24-2011, 07:16 PM

bad dad, or bad connections....doesn't matter now, it is running...thanks for your service young man....

Old 09-24-2011, 07:53 PM

He did put a new one on but..... It wasnt pushing near enough amps.

Old 10-13-2011, 05:00 PM

I thought it was over but something is draining the battery. Any ideas or similar issues?

Old 10-13-2011, 05:09 PM

well, that could be a lot of things...anywhere from a door light switch, dome lt switch, anything you may have wired up, like a new radio... A dead short for sure...

Old 10-13-2011, 05:25 PM

[quote=ShaunXFire]I thought it was over but something is draining the battery. Any ideas or similar issues?[/quote
Have you added anything that does not switch off when the ignition is turned off?
How long does it take to kill the battery?
Does the alternator actually do any charging?
Anything using a decent amount of power will get warm, try going around the car feeling for hot spots.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:31 PM

Once I stored the car and thought I turned the lights out but I turned the headlite switch one too many notches and and it turned on one side of the parking lites and killed the battery. Might check it along with the doors, glove box, trunk, etc.
Good luck with the fix.

Old 10-13-2011, 06:55 PM

Everything I've installed Ive unhooked. HIDs, Subs and amp. I just had the alternator rebuilt 700 miles ago. It takes about a week to drain a fully charged brand new battery.
I can't find any lights on at all anywhere.

Old 10-13-2011, 07:00 PM

Everything I've installed Ive unhooked. HIDs, Subs and amp. I just had the alternator rebuilt 700 miles ago. It takes about a week to drain a fully charged brand new battery.
I can't find any lights on at all anywhere.
You could take out the fuses and connect a voltmeter between each terminal and see if you get a reading. No reading would show that those components are not draining the battery.

Connecting the voltmeter between the disconnected battery cable and the battery should show the drain, if not the drain is in the battery or it is an intermittent drain.

Last edited by onehundred80; 10-13-2011 at 07:03 PM.
Old 10-13-2011, 07:35 PM

Originally Posted by onehundred80
You could take out the fuses and connect a voltmeter between each terminal and see if you get a reading. No reading would show that those components are not draining the battery.

Connecting the voltmeter between the disconnected battery cable and the battery should show the drain, if not the drain is in the battery or it is an intermittent drain.
You could use the DC voltmeter at the fuse box by pulling each fuse. At the battery it's self, disconnect the pos terminal and use the amp function between the cable and post to check for current flow with the car off.
Good luck.

Old 10-13-2011, 08:51 PM

Originally Posted by The Beep
You could use the DC voltmeter at the fuse box by pulling each fuse. At the battery it's self, disconnect the pos terminal and use the amp function between the cable and post to check for current flow with the car off.
Good luck.
Yeah that's what I meant, I used voltmeter not multi-meter, there is a standard drain anyway you just have to know what that is and see the difference. What is the standard drain? It is on the forum somewhere.

Old 10-13-2011, 10:30 PM
Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Starting the car one a week will drain the battery. If it's going to be stored, you should set it up for storage and leave it. If it will be used infrequently, you should have it on a battery tender.